PDA

View Full Version : Lo-Jack or Virus on RMA replaced Mobo g750jw?

PPanda
07-31-2013, 10:08 PM
So I just received back my g750jw after over a month of repeated RMA orders.

They replaced the motherboard and as of now it is able to turn on and runs ok. Screen flickering and fan noise aside.

Before sending it for RMA i took out my HyperX SSD which included my Windows 8 installation. After popping it back in to the computer it boots up to the same computer/desktop I had set up before it failed. Great.

But here's the weird part: the first thing that pops up is AVG telling me that rpcnet.exe in system32 and syswow64 if a trojan trying to **** with my system. This is bizarre because I rarely get viruses (don't really browse unsecure and am careful about download sources) and AVG never detected this up until the crash. Doesnt Win8 Use UEFI instead of BIOS anyways?

After some googling my best guess is that the new motherboard they put in is from Best-Buy models which include Lo-Jack? This is so weird. Apparently Lo-jack is stored in the bios and copies rpcnet.exe to C:\ when first booted. I blocked the file and my computer tripped out and rebooted so now I'm allowing it. Is this the most clever virus ever? Is it what bricked my motherboard previously?

I'm debating flashing the newest BIOS available to try and clear this oddity out. I definitely don't want Lo-Jack on my computer, especially if it is not my copy of the program, I'd hate for the previous owner of the motherboard to get confused.

I'm pretty wary of flashing the BIOS though considering it has taken me 700+ phone and email minutes, 6 days of missed work, and over a month (never mind the $1600) to get this computer working on my desk like it is now. *fingers crossed*/

I can't deal with more problems with this computer, what a nightmare.

So can anyone advise me what to do? Should I reinstall Windows 8? Flash the BIOS? Just live with the virus/lo-jack whatever it is?

Thank you for your help in this matter. I consider myself tech savy but I'm blown away by this situation... no idea...

Shawnnepc
08-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Yikes...

You might want to PM CL-Albert and make sure he's aware of this thread.

I've never encountered something like this before

AVG is hitting a false positive on rpcnet.exe

I would personally advise against using AVG as it tends to get a great deal of false positives.

I wouldn't be concerned about the Lojack. There's a lot more setup required for it to actually function and in your case doesn't appear to be enabled.

Sorry that you had to deal with all that hassle. Hopefully your in the clear now :)

So I just received back my g750jw after over a month of repeated RMA orders.

They replaced the motherboard and as of now it is able to turn on and runs ok. Screen flickering and fan noise aside.

Before sending it for RMA i took out my HyperX SSD which included my Windows 8 installation. After popping it back in to the computer it boots up to the same computer/desktop I had set up before it failed. Great.

But here's the weird part: the first thing that pops up is AVG telling me that rpcnet.exe in system32 and syswow64 if a trojan trying to **** with my system. This is bizarre because I rarely get viruses (don't really browse unsecure and am careful about download sources) and AVG never detected this up until the crash. Doesnt Win8 Use UEFI instead of BIOS anyways?

After some googling my best guess is that the new motherboard they put in is from Best-Buy models which include Lo-Jack? This is so weird. Apparently Lo-jack is stored in the bios and copies rpcnet.exe to C:\ when first booted. I blocked the file and my computer tripped out and rebooted so now I'm allowing it. Is this the most clever virus ever? Is it what bricked my motherboard previously?

I'm debating flashing the newest BIOS available to try and clear this oddity out. I definitely don't want Lo-Jack on my computer, especially if it is not my copy of the program, I'd hate for the previous owner of the motherboard to get confused.

I'm pretty wary of flashing the BIOS though considering it has taken me 700+ phone and email minutes, 6 days of missed work, and over a month (never mind the $1600) to get this computer working on my desk like it is now. *fingers crossed*/

I can't deal with more problems with this computer, what a nightmare.

So can anyone advise me what to do? Should I reinstall Windows 8? Flash the BIOS? Just live with the virus/lo-jack whatever it is?

Thank you for your help in this matter. I consider myself tech savy but I'm blown away by this situation... no idea...

PPanda
08-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Weird, turns out its Intel's anti-theft software... I can see it in the BIOS. There is an option to disable but it doesnt actually disable it.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/anti-theft/anti-theft-general-technology.html

I might try EasyFlash to flash 207...