PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard light doesn't work.

PPanda
08-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Got my PC back from 2nd RMA. Now keyboard lights don't work.

ASUS is terrible.

Pitcher@asus
08-02-2013, 08:45 AM
pressing Fn+F3/F4 does not work? did you install ATK? if both yes, i think you should send again.

PPanda
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Correct the Fn keys do not work, however the screen brightnestt and all other Fn keys do.

They keyboard lights do not flash during boot.

However, the caps lock light works.

I flashed BIOS 207 and reinstalled ATK drivers with proper steps and reboots.

Still not working.

PPanda
08-06-2013, 09:39 PM
So some guy name Gary came up for a fix for this issue on the g74... look slike it works for other older models too...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1845-Keyboard-Backlight-Stoped-Working!/page5

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key-13.html

Think it will work for g750? Maybe brick it?

Fred@Asus
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
So some guy name Gary came up for a fix for this issue on the g74... look slike it works for other older models too...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1845-Keyboard-Backlight-Stoped-Working!/page5

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key-13.html

Think it will work for g750? Maybe brick it?

I suggest trying to uninstall the ATK package rebooting the unit then then re-installing the ATK package. That should resolve the issue and have the lights back working. If you have already tried this send an email at cl-fred@asus.com

PPanda
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Already tried that Fred. Then tried BIOS flash to 207 and repeated the ATK uninstall, reboot, install, reboot process.

Nothing has worked yet.

dgraper
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Fred:

Thanks for all your help yesterday on my new G75VW's keyboard-backlighting problem. The punchline is that as of this morning it's working again but I don't understand quite why.

I did the uninstall ATK/reboot/uninstall keyboard driver/reboot/install latest ATK/reboot/install latest keyboard driver/reboot thing a couple times, then upgraded the BIOS from 207 to 223 and tried it all again, then contacted you and did the uninstall/reboot thing again a couple more times and it didn't work. You tried to replicate it at your end but couldn't get it going and we were talking about an RMA for a return.

I was doing all this at work and I had to stop messing with the machine because of, you know, that whole thing where they expect me to write code for them in exchange for money ... anyways, I took the unit home at the end of the day and left the power supply on my desk.

At home I powered up using just the battery and the keyboard backlighting started working fine. Completely surreal. I'm back at work with it plugged in again and it's still working.

This is a "voodoo" solution -- I can't think of *any* reason why this condition changed anything, but for me it did. I can only hope it stays this way.

Thanks again for your help. - Dave

Fred@Asus
08-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Fred:

Thanks for all your help yesterday on my new G75VW's keyboard-backlighting problem. The punchline is that as of this morning it's working again but I don't understand quite why.

I did the uninstall ATK/reboot/uninstall keyboard driver/reboot/install latest ATK/reboot/install latest keyboard driver/reboot thing a couple times, then upgraded the BIOS from 207 to 223 and tried it all again, then contacted you and did the uninstall/reboot thing again a couple more times and it didn't work. You tried to replicate it at your end but couldn't get it going and we were talking about an RMA for a return.

I was doing all this at work and I had to stop messing with the machine because of, you know, that whole thing where they expect me to write code for them in exchange for money ... anyways, I took the unit home at the end of the day and left the power supply on my desk.

At home I powered up using just the battery and the keyboard backlighting started working fine. Completely surreal. I'm back at work with it plugged in again and it's still working.

This is a "voodoo" solution -- I can't think of *any* reason why this condition changed anything, but for me it did. I can only hope it stays this way.

Thanks again for your help. - Dave

Thats great news. I'm glad its working now. If for whatever reason it stops working (lets hope that doesn't happen) you know how to contact me.

PPanda
08-08-2013, 06:50 PM
So anyword on Gary's KBFix? Is i g750 compatible?

Prostar Computer
08-08-2013, 07:01 PM
@PPanda: If it's not a software issue (it's sounding less and less like one), the LEDs on the keyboard could be faulty. Or, perhaps the cable is not connected or is faulty that supplies power to the LEDs.

Hopefully that's not the case, so that you don't have to send it back in. :eek:

PPanda
08-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Each Time I sent it in over the first month of owership (yes multiple RMAs), they damaged it in some new way.

I'd rather fix this myself as ASUS RMA Tech has proven incompetent.