PDA

View Full Version : What headphones do you use with your g750?

derpcules
08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Like the title says and what do you think of the "awesome amp"?

Im using one of the most sensitive and lowest impendance iems on the market (ie 80) and i get a noticable background hiss (Before I followed the guide to get maxx audio installed properly it was too much but now its tolerable, thanks to everyone posting about that particular solution. The only way to control impendance/gain setting is through maxx audio so if youre getting crazy hiss with low impendance headphones its probably because the default gain setting is high without maxx audio installed.).

Money is no object within reason when it comes to sound quality for me. Only reason i bought htc one was the sound quality through headphones. I always have the best available source files for my music, never anything below 320 kps mp3s and thats rare its almost always flac.
I own a cambridge magic + for my speaker setup.

Im considering buying Shure SRH940-E or hd 650 because i dont want a whole string of dacs and amps, I want something that works well with the built in amp wich i can hear is more than enough in clarity except for the hiss. Im leaning towards Shure SRH940-E because detail is everything to me but its so clinical it enhances all faults in the source from what ive read, so im wondering if hd 650 might be a better choice if the built in amp has that hiss regardless of impendance/sensitivity.

Anyone using either of those phones?

Im not going to buy hd 800 because that price class is beyond reason for next to no gain imo. Its to use with this laptop without a string of extra gear, thats the point.

I think the headphone amp is great for what it is ( more separation and clarity than any other built in solution ive heard even on bad recordings like youtube) except for the bad gain settings/hiss.

tnili
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I have both the HD 600 and 650. The 600 is more neutral and cheaper than the 650 so you should consider it as well. The 650 requires a decent AMP otherwise it will sound slow and boring.

derpcules
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
How are they with the g750? im contempalting shure + a fiio 17 or hd 650 without the fiio. Id love to avoid the string of extras but if the hiss is present on a pair of hd 650s too I dont see an alternative.

Suspirion
08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I am using Plantronics Gamecom 780, and they work great for me.

x70xchallengerx
08-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, and sound is GREAT with this laptop. I never have to push the system volume higher than 50% (I listen to FLAC/WAV audio mostly also), it's just great. They are 16 ohm cans I believe but not gonna lie I still don't know what that means >.<

Also, nice choice of phone! I have the Droid DNA which is the same base phone, the amp on that is just KILLER.

Neptun
08-03-2013, 08:04 PM
I use beats studio and they are best headphones ever, better than any of your headphones guys hahahahaha....

I'm joking :p, i use ATH m50 which sound great with my g750, xcept for the hiss which can be pretty annoying at times when i'm skyping.

adamsyes
08-04-2013, 02:28 AM
I am currently using the ROG headset Vulcan
although for it's release, the price was reasonable. but now the quality isn't as rewarding as it used to be or to be compared with cheaper headphones that are out right now.

Although I am also using my new beats Tour v 2.0. they are actually pretty damn impressive. sound delivering with the laptop is jaw dropping.

just sayin I know some dislike beats product. but you have to give them credits if you tried out their new units refreshed this Year.

Neptun
08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Lies, all beats have no clarity at all compared to other headphones and a bad bass for its price D:

rye017
08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I use Sound Blaster's Tactic 3D Omega wireless. Pricey but sound quality is really good. Good reviews from the internet too.

derpcules
08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Rye017 and adamsyes (rye017 because its wireless and adamsyes because its hooked up through usb only) you are both using headsets with their own dac and amplification solutions so you are both entirely bypassing the built in asus one, wich means no hiss because of any fault from ASUS or mismatch of equipment. Im glad youre both happy with your headphones, so many forget how much audio plays into the quality of gaming! Like the music in borderlands 2 (ok you have to stand claptrap in highdef, its painful i know "sOoThInG SoUnD oF My VoIcE!!!!"), having the bass separated into its own melody instead of one "whoooom" does wonders. When I hear these things i try to match my shots to the music :) Like playing the piano with a gun haha.

About beats phones, im not surprised they sound good on these laptops. I havnt tried or read about the latest revision but im guessing they havnt entirely dropped their marketing strategy, just toned it down as portable sources such as phones become better at delivering quality sources. What I mean is im not surprised they have higher fidelity now compared to before when the aim was to work well with really bad sources like spotify before 320 kbps quality and such. Again im very happy to hear someone found something that works well for them and they are satisfied. Being satisfied is the point. Its extremely frustrating that I cant be for a reasonable price (insanely even, I blew around 2000 euro on audio equipment this year and im still not satisfied, still looking for stuff that works for me :( ).

But my main question still stands though. Does the built in solution work with lower sensitivity/higher impendance phones? For people who have gone the journey I have, What dac/amp solution would you compare it to that works? ( If the hiss is just an low impendance/high sensitivity mismatch result). Im considering ultrasone pro 900, audio technica a900x and shure SRH940-E now, maybe even hifiman 400 or 500. I doubt It could handle he-4 lol but stranger things have happened. Ive dropped the idea of sennheisers in the hd series, they just cant deliver the bass I need. I even tried hd 700s wich i could get at the same price as he-400 right now (400ish euro).

Yes maybe this thread belongs over at head fi but none of them even know what a g750 is, they blow all their money on cables and amps not computers ;)

StOryx
08-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I use Astro A50's. I've got an external 7.1 adapter that I plug the optical into. I really love the A50s and really have no gripes about them.

derpcules
08-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Id love to hear more about your headphones St0ryx.

Do they deliver everything in the bass or is every bass thump just a mushy whooomp?

What about separation and soundstage? Can you hear each instrument clearly if you focus on just that one sound all the time and can you tell where it is supposed to be coming from, as in its exact position?

villiansv
08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I am using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros (80 ohm version). Nothing to complain about. I tend to use them with my fiio dac, but have used them with the headphone jack with no noticeable issues. No hiss/crackle etc that I can discern.

I got my fiio e07k dac because my previous laptop (Clevo P170HM) had bad headphone output, as in I could tell difference in quality between using a dac and the builtin jack. With this laptop I can't see anything immediately wrong with the builtin jack.

To the person asking about soundstage and instrument separation - I can assume you're asking because you primarily listen to music. 5.1 and 7.1 headphones are designed around positional sound (i.e. to help you perform better in e.g. a shooter where situational awareness is important). For music you will be far better served with a sennheiser, beyerdynamic or similar.

derpcules
08-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I am using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros (80 ohm version). Nothing to complain about. I tend to use them with my fiio dac, but have used them with the headphone jack with no noticeable issues. No hiss/crackle etc that I can discern.

I got my fiio e07k dac because my previous laptop (Clevo P170HM) had bad headphone output, as in I could tell difference in quality between using a dac and the builtin jack. With this laptop I can't see anything immediately wrong with the builtin jack.

To the person asking about soundstage and instrument separation - I can assume you're asking because you primarily listen to music. 5.1 and 7.1 headphones are designed around positional sound (i.e. to help you perform better in e.g. a shooter where situational awareness is important). For music you will be far better served with a sennheiser, beyerdynamic or similar.

Thank you for this post, this answered my original question!

I have considered those but I need that deep and clear bass sennheisers cant provide. Think ill go for hifiman he-400 or 500.

Thanks again!

villiansv
08-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Thank you for this post, this answered my original question!

I have considered those but I need that deep and clear bass sennheisers cant provide. Think ill go for hifiman he-400 or 500.

Thanks again!

Glad I could be of help. Those seem nice, though a bit out of my budget. The DT770 80ohms were affordable for me, have solid reviews everywhere, have the bass I wanted and most importantly are oh so comfortable. I can spend hours upon hours with them with no discomfort. My wife uses the 250ohm version at her workplace (their bass is a bit less pronounced) and can also attest to their comfort.

B1g_Dav3
08-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Thinking of buying some Bose AE2's tomorrow, just going to test them out with my laptop before making the final decision.

cadesa
08-09-2013, 05:01 AM
I am using a Sennheiser HD 558, has a good quality the only thing I can complaint is that it hasn't noise cancel hence you can heard the enviroment sounds.

FIREWORKKS
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Do not get a Razer Megalodon headset.
It doesn't even work :/
Plus it's pretty expensive for such a old product.

McHero
08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I use the Astro A40 which I can fully recommend.

iweber95
08-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I use Logitech's G430. Amazing quality for an even better price. Full Dolby Digital 7.1 comes with a USB sound card and the mic quality is surprisingly good. All for the price of $70 :0

Gamebouncer
08-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping there will be no issues with my Logitech G930's (with some of the usb 3.0 issues reported). I love these headphones!

iweber95
08-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I use Logitech's G430 and they are AMAZING. Super good quality, stylish look, great sound control via Logitech software, 7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, and all this for the price of $70?! Such a good deal :)

FIREWORKKS
08-30-2013, 11:41 PM
I use Logitech's G430 and they are AMAZING. Super good quality, stylish look, great sound control via Logitech software, 7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, and all this for the price of $70?! Such a good deal :)

iweber95, are you using them on the Asus G750?
Do they work?
I am planning to sell my Razer Megalodons
and I am pretty scared they might not work

patros
09-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Audio Technica ATH-M50. Lovin' them.

Skedar
09-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I use a cheap China 7.1 SADES audio, its a good headset...

svansiclen
09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
fischer audio fa-003
Extremely sensitive headphones and they are almost unusable with the rog G750. The hiss is unbearable

Sennheiser momentum
Hiss is there but not nearly as bad as with the Fischer. I may need to invest in usb audio amplifier. Oh and this is awesome.. I use voip for work, and the hiss is sometimes maddening to my customers.

DreamBanger
09-24-2013, 01:19 AM
I use my beats. Anything is find really. Its just a headphone. But you can see what the beats can do at http://www.thehonestreviews.com/audio/beats-solo-hd-on-ear-headphone-review/ if you want.

zalbard
09-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Is anyone using 32ohm non-USB headphones without any hissing noise?

YesNoYes-
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Is anyone using 32ohm non-USB headphones without any hissing noise?

Yes- standard iPod headphones are 32ohm. Don't really use them, but tested successfully with no hissing.

villiansv
09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Yes- standard iPod headphones are 32ohm. Don't really use them, but tested successfully with no hissing.

Not sure about this, or there are different types of iphone/ipod headphones. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/ME186ZM/A/apple-in-ear-headphones-with-remote-and-mic claims 23ohms. On the other hand, if 23 ohms don't hiss, you can safely say 32 won't hiss either :-).

zalbard
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Good news, thanks. I ordered a pair of new IEMs. Will report back whether they work fine.

zalbard
10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Here's my report: the amplifier in G750 is simply bad. Noise floor is too high, which results in this hissing/buzzing. Poor shielding as well (so expect extra sounds during active HDD access and other internal things).

Headphones tested:

1.Sony MDR-E818LP (16 Ohm, 108 dB/mW). Completely unusable. More noise than music at any volume.
2. HiFiMan RE-400 (32 Ohm, 102 dB/mW). Not really usable unless your music is VERY loud. Whenever you pause your music (or during the not-so-loud parts), expect to endure annoying hissing.
3. AKG K550 (32 Ohm, 100 dB/mW). Same issue as with HiFiMan.
4. Sennheiser HD800 (300 Ohm, 102 dB/Vrms) - usable. Is there still noise? Yes. But not too much. There is ZERO noise on my desktop amp, though.

Verdict: there will be audible noise present no matter how good and expensive your headphones are. I expect experience to be tolerable for headphones with impedance of at least 150 Ohm (although I would shoot for 250 Ohm or more myself).

Myroslav
10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Here's my report: the amplifier in G750 is simply bad. Noise floor is too high, which results in this hissing/buzzing. Poor shielding as well (so expect extra sounds during active HDD access and other internal things).

Headphones tested:

1.Sony MDR-E818LP (16 Ohm, 108 dB/mW). Completely unusable. More noise than music at any volume.
2. HiFiMan RE-400 (32 Ohm, 102 dB/mW). Not really usable unless your music is VERY loud. Whenever you pause your music (or during the not-so-loud parts), expect to endure annoying hissing.
4. Sennheiser HD800 (300 Ohm, 102 dB/Vrms) - usable. Is there still noise? Yes. But not too much. There is ZERO noise on my desktop amp, though.

Verdict: there will be audible noise present no matter how good and expensive your headphones are. I expect experience to be tolerable for headphones with impedance of at least 150 Ohm (although I would shoot for 250 Ohm or more myself).

Have you tried this?

5. Some complain about headphone jack based noise; the noise floor is higher for low Ohm headphones. Get / use headphones higher in impedance.

It is a pretty clean sounding amplifier when running, but at idle - when there is no sound to amplify - the amplifier goes into power saving mode - which for some creates crackles from the headphone jack. I found the fix early and haven't heard the crackle. I do hear the sound floor between input passages, but when the source has exited the silence returns.

Here are the registry settings to turn off the power saving mode while plugged in

Details for audio driver and registry locations in post #13
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37273-ASUS-G750JX-headphone-sound-problem./page2

villiansv
10-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Headphones tested:

My 80-ohm DT770 Pros don't have any hiss at all, even when volume is cranked all the way (I'm 30 though, so maybe hearing isn't what it used to be 10 years ago :) ). My in-ear buds are a different story though - unusable without a USB DAC.

Edit: If I really struggle, I can actually hear a slight hiss (the 80ohm headphones). I can only detect it if I listen carefully when plugging/unplugging the headphones though. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.

villiansv
10-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Have you tried this?

The powermanagement tweak makes no difference - hiss is still there, and if I didn't have decent headphones, I'd be complaining too.

hmscott
10-10-2013, 04:57 AM
The powermanagement tweak makes no difference - hiss is still there, and if I didn't have decent headphones, I'd be complaining too.

The power manager registry hack is to stop the power saver mode from going on and off - causing spikes / pops.

The hiss is there because it is a really good headphone amp for driving high impedance headphones - the higher the impedance the lower the effect of the hiss - the lower the impedance the more hiss. There are great headphones at both ends of the impedance spectrum.

I searched for an impedance matching accessory, but I can't seem to find one. I know they do/have existed :)

The other choice is to get higher impedance headphones. Take the laptop in to some place local that has a bunch of headphones on display - of varying impedance and check out which you like best. Then let us know what impedance sounded best!

I recall someone on this forum lived near a place that had Beyer-Dynamic headphones they could try out, but we haven't heard back from them.

Beyer-Dynamic has some more expensive and some less expensive than these - and in 250ohm and 32 ohm versions as well as the 600ohm version for many models.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK34O

Has anyone tried 600ohm headphones with the G750?

Lots of good reading here, and lots of good links too:

Headphone/Amp impedance matching: Basics you need to Know
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know

zalbard
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
The powermanagement tweak makes no difference - hiss is still there.
I can confirm this.

My 80-ohm DT770 Pros don't have any hiss at all, even when volume is cranked all the way (I'm 30 though, so maybe hearing isn't what it used to be 10 years ago :)
Could be, my hearing is very good. Which makes the whole thing twice as annoying...

Perhaps, for some reason, 80-150 Ohm is the sweet spot, and going out of this range creates impedance issues. But I find it highly unlikely.

villiansv
10-10-2013, 05:42 PM
I can confirm this.

Could be, my hearing is very good. Which makes the whole thing twice as annoying...

Perhaps, for some reason, 80-150 Ohm is the sweet spot, and going out of this range creates impedance issues. But I find it highly unlikely.

Not sure you read my edit in the post. I *can* hear the hiss, but very faintly.

However, my wife has access to the same DT770 Pros at her work, but the 250 ohm version. I'll see if she can borrow them for a day so I can compare directly to my 80-ohms, then post here.

zalbard
10-11-2013, 12:24 AM
By the way, some people report that the problem is gone if drivers are uninstalled... If that is the case, there may be a software fix. Realtek and ASUS will just have to figure this one out.

villiansv
10-14-2013, 01:59 PM
As promised - just had a chance to compare Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros in 2 versions - 80 and 250 ohms.

With a decent source (fiio e07k dac/amp) there is zero hiss, even with volume maxed out.

Plugged directly in the laptop jack, and straining I can hear some little hiss with both, of course the 250 ohm exhibit it slightly less. However, it is REALLY hard to notice the hiss on either pair. I'd say on a scale from 0 to 10 where 0 is no hiss, the 250ohms are a 1 and the 80 are a 2. In both cases I have to actually pause music and then actively unplug/replug the headphones to make sure I can hear the difference in hiss vs no hiss.

I can't speak for uninstalling the drivers. However, if testing with very hissy in-ear buds plugged in during windows startup, you will notice the hiss increases noticeably when reaching the login/desktop screen. Whether that is caused by drivers loading, or simply windows volume adjustments, I can't say.

hmscott
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
As promised - just had a chance to compare Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros in 2 versions - 80 and 250 ohms.
With a decent source (fiio e07k dac/amp) there is zero hiss, even with volume maxed out.
Plugged directly in the laptop jack, and straining I can hear some little hiss with both, of course the 250 ohm exhibit it slightly less. However, it is REALLY hard to notice the hiss on either pair. I'd say on a scale from 0 to 10 where 0 is no hiss, the 250ohms are a 1 and the 80 are a 2. In both cases I have to actually pause music and then actively unplug/replug the headphones to make sure I can hear the difference in hiss vs no hiss.
I can't speak for uninstalling the drivers. However, if testing with very hissy in-ear buds plugged in during windows startup, you will notice the hiss increases noticeably when reaching the login/desktop screen. Whether that is caused by drivers loading, or simply windows volume adjustments, I can't say.

Thanks for coming through on the listening test villansv :)

Good to hear the 250ohm/80ohm headphones have such low hiss.

And, it sounds like ear buds are out for a good listen. The Beyerdynamic site has earbuds, and for the ones I looked at, they were all 12 ohms.

I went to the North American Beyerdynamic website, and they have an interesting classification for each ohm-age - the rest of the headphone materials are the same:

The three available versions:
DT 770 PRO, 32 ohms, for mobile applications
DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms, for recording applications within the studio
DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms, for mixing applications in the studio

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-770-pro.html

I wonder if the 32 ohm models are high enough impedance over the 12 ohm earbuds to be listenable?

And, does anyone have 600ohm headphones to compare? They might be too far out on the impedance scale to use with any portable devices other than the G750, or a portable amp, so they would be of limited use.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-990-edition.html

villiansv
10-14-2013, 07:23 PM
The DT770 Pros actually differ in sound across various specs. The 80-ohms are more bass-heavy (why I chose them, as I tend to listen to music that favors bass a bit), while the 250-ohm are more neutral (why my wife's media-oriented job has them, probably). I can't say much for the 32-ohms though, but I'm sure some websites have reviews.

For what it's worth, both are actually usable with a cell phone, even the 250-ohm versions (I think in general the DT770s are considered easy to drive, despite high impedances), though they can't get loud enough to be unbearable (probably a good thing). Tested on Lumia 920 and Galaxy S2. My wife's HTC 8X gets louder, but that's because it has a builtin amp. In any case, the DT770s aren't headphones to go out with, so usability with portable devices isn't that important (hence why I don't get the need for a 32-ohm version, but what do I know). They're quite big, though incredibly light and comfy.

Dr. Zchivago
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a G55vw, but if you can spring it, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones are unbeatable.

hmscott
10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
The DT770 Pros actually differ in sound across various specs. The 80-ohms are more bass-heavy (why I chose them, as I tend to listen to music that favors bass a bit), while the 250-ohm are more neutral (why my wife's media-oriented job has them, probably). I can't say much for the 32-ohms though, but I'm sure some websites have reviews.
For what it's worth, both are actually usable with a cell phone, even the 250-ohm versions (I think in general the DT770s are considered easy to drive, despite high impedances), though they can't get loud enough to be unbearable (probably a good thing). Tested on Lumia 920 and Galaxy S2. My wife's HTC 8X gets louder, but that's because it has a builtin amp. In any case, the DT770s aren't headphones to go out with, so usability with portable devices isn't that important (hence why I don't get the need for a 32-ohm version, but what do I know). They're quite big, though incredibly light and comfy.

At the Link I found for the DT770, the Technical specs are the same, same frequency range, same efficiency rating, same weight - I don't see where they are materially different except for the impedance. Do you have a link?

Nice to hear that the 250ohm/80ohm are driven ok by a portable device. I guess the 250ohm is the best choice so far for hiss free neutral sound :)

villiansv
10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
At the Link I found for the DT770, the Technical specs are the same, same frequency range, same efficiency rating, same weight - I don't see where they are materially different except for the impedance. Do you have a link?

Nice to hear that the 250ohm/80ohm are driven ok by a portable device. I guess the 250ohm is the best choice so far for hiss free neutral sound :)

Sources:
1. http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html - (strongly recommend anything this guy likes)
2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/646368/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-32-ohm-or-80-ohms (and many other similar head-fi.org posts). Grain of salt here - head-fi.org is not really an objective site, their credo is "subjectively sounds good, so it's good". In total opposition to the NwAvGuy from 1st link.
3. http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs.html - Different Impedances - "The transducers of the 80 ohms versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more low-mid accentuated and therefore this version is ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar. The 250 ohms version sounds more smooth and voluminous and can be used for mixing situations within the studio to analyse the whole mix."

hmscott
10-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Sources:
1. http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html - (strongly recommend anything this guy likes)
2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/646368/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-32-ohm-or-80-ohms (and many other similar head-fi.org posts). Grain of salt here - head-fi.org is not really an objective site, their credo is "subjectively sounds good, so it's good". In total opposition to the NwAvGuy from 1st link.
3. http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs.html - Different Impedances - "The transducers of the 80 ohms versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more low-mid accentuated and therefore this version is ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar. The 250 ohms version sounds more smooth and voluminous and can be used for mixing situations within the studio to analyse the whole mix."

Thanks for the links villiansv, they are extensive and have lots of good info.

What I got out of reading the FAQ link is that the wire windings, made out of different materials thicker/thinner heavier/lighter wire, to accomplish the desired impedance, are the major difference affecting the sound.

There may be a translation related miscommunication in that the quotes before and after it - are having to do with how the different models voice changes based on the weight/mass of the wire as affecting the characteristics of the sound.

And, there are definitely different build materials in different priced models - of the list you have given - which can also change the characteristics of the sound.

My comment was limited to the Link I gave which only showed 3 identically configured models, except for the impedance differences. Now I see too many configurations to be comfortable purchasing them without listening to the specific model first :)

For now. I am happy with my Sennheiser MM550's which don't use the headphone amp, and my Sony MDR-XB500's using the headphone amp.

zalbard
10-15-2013, 04:12 PM

That's good information and confirms that more impedance is required. Thanks!

I wonder if the 32 ohm models are high enough impedance over the 12 ohm earbuds to be listenable?
See my earlier review in the same thread. The answer is: absolutely not.

Myroslav
10-16-2013, 02:34 AM
So. After further playing around, i dug up my lumia 920 headphones (ear buds). I see the hiss and occasional cracks you guys are talking about. Since i rarely use 3.5mm audio, i went out and bought today Sennheiser's 350 (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX23385) (on sale, 120 bucks). There is zero hiss, zero cracks. The g750 amp is amazing, giving this headset awesome bass. Impedance on these is 150 ohms, and i like it so much i will keep this set.

PS i am running on the latest driver (7023)

tallan
10-16-2013, 03:15 AM
I am using AKG K702s directly from the headphone jack and have no perceivable hiss whatever, even with the volume turned up to 100%. I can't find a spec on the 702s but the Quincy Jones' Model 701s are listed at 62 ohms and are essentially the same cans. These phones are known for being very hard to drive without a headphone amp but sound excellent thru my G750JX.

zalbard
10-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Headphones tested:

Update (with a fix!):
So, yes, it is 100% impedance mismatch.

I bought "Ultimate Ears Airline Sound-level Attenuator Adapter" (plenty on EBay, but I don't want to give links as to not look like I am advertising). It is essentially an inline 100 Ohm resistor. It cost me whooping $9 USD. :-)

Now I can use my 32 Ohm headphones pretty much without any noise.

Here's a link to an image of what I am talking about: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GENUINE-Ultimate-Ears-Airline-Sound-level-Attenuator-Adapter-for-UE-Earphones-/00/s/NTEyWDI3MQ==/z/fJIAAOxy~g5Rwfrf/$T2eC16h,!yEE9s5jHQH5BRwfrfC9YQ~~60_35.JPG

And it's not the only option (although probably the most convenient one). Head-Fi lists a few more (http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed).

Hope it helps.

hmscott
10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Update (with a fix!):
So, yes, it is 100% impedance mismatch.

I bought "Ultimate Ears Airline Sound-level Attenuator Adapter" (plenty on EBay, but I don't want to give links as to not look like I am advertising). It is essentially an inline 100 Ohm resistor. It cost me whooping $9 USD. :-)

Now I can use my 32 Ohm headphones pretty much without any noise.

Here's a link to an image of what I am talking about: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GENUINE-Ultimate-Ears-Airline-Sound-level-Attenuator-Adapter-for-UE-Earphones-/00/s/NTEyWDI3MQ==/z/fJIAAOxy~g5Rwfrf/$T2eC16h,!yEE9s5jHQH5BRwfrfC9YQ~~60_35.JPG

And it's not the only option (although probably the most convenient one). Head-Fi lists a few more (http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed).

Hope it helps.

Awesome zalbard, this should be a sticky!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed

Rasuk
01-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Would anyone know how these headphones perform ? http://www.tdkperformance.com/PageFiles/1063/TDK%20ST-800%20EN.pdf
TDK ST800 , supposed to have 200 ohms and are the cheapest ones I found online under $100.

aligator101
01-26-2014, 06:22 PM
I use Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro.

sevymar
01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Steelseries Siberia V2
But i have to turn off Waves MAXXAudio though.

kidfromhell
02-09-2014, 06:10 PM
I've ordered V-Moda Crossfade M100. Desperately waiting for it. I dunno how they would sound on the G750 though.

Skedar
02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
A USB 7.1 SADES, because my audio in windows 8.1 is a sh**t, my sound are bad, and i dont know why, and its only in 8.1...i try 3 different drivers and nothing...

i make a clean install (after upgrade the original one to 8.1) to see if are my notebook the problem, and not...all are perfect in win 8.0...so i make the upgrade and the problem are back...

edit: i make a clean install Win 8.1 too, and the problem is here again...so its the DRIVER for Win 8.1 version the real problem.

someone have this issues on 8.1 ?? audio is buzzing, and a LOT high, if i put it on max vol, my notebook turns on a earthquake...

sry for my bad english. >:(

I have a Razer Hammerhead Pro, and a Kraken and this issues make me use the USB one.

noone
02-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Logitech UE6000
Sometimes with Fiio E17 (nice little DAC)

angrylemon
02-10-2014, 04:13 AM
I have the Sony DR-BTN200, connects to bluetooth quickly, can last for 40 hours, has excellent range and sounds wonderful (has a frequency range of 20-20,000Hz). Bought them off ebay for $100AUD from Japan. The only issue is the ear piece size, thought it would cover my whole ear but it still is comfortable.

kb0sdq
02-11-2014, 03:40 AM
Howdy Derpcules,
I use the Logitech H800 wireless headset
Sounds are very crisp no hissing like em a lot.

Happy ROG_n

Doug

Kelco83
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I decided on the stereo Orion set. Sounds great.

Decided that software 7.1 wasn't worth the money and I didn't want to bypass the headphone amp.

A real 7.1 set may be something to try down the line, but the stereo Orion set is very comfortable but a tad heavy on the bass. Turning it down in Audio Wizard made it perfect.