PDA

View Full Version : Used battery in a new G750?

Pitchblack
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi there

I recently bought a G750JX at a local dealer here in switzerland. Yesterday I discovered with the Tools HWMonitor and BatteryInfoView that my battery has already a cycle count of 892! It seems like battery is not new at all but it looks new.

I did think no problem I call the support and try to get it replaced. The support told me they never heard of such a case and I should fill out a "carry in" form to send the battery in. I did that and shortly after that I get the answer that they could not replace it as long as the battery works fine. I guess I have to accept that, right?

Sadly there are almost no customer rights in switzerland. no return policies at all.

Can you guys and gals quickly check you G750 with HWMonitor or another tool your battery count cycles for simmilar issues?
I'm mean there is a small (unlikely) posssibility that the cycle count is not read out correctly.

Thanks

mihaimoga
08-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi there

I recently bought a G750JX at a local dealer here in switzerland. Yesterday I discovered with the Tools HWMonitor and BatteryInfoView that my battery has already a cycle count of 892! It seems like battery is not new at all but it looks new.

I did think no problem I call the support and try to get it replaced. The support told me they never heard of such a case and I should fill out a "carry in" form to send the battery in. I did that and shortly after that I get the answer that they could not replace it as long as the battery works fine. I guess I have to accept that, right?

Sadly there are almost no customer rights in switzerland. no return policies at all.

Can you guys and gals quickly check you G750 with HWMonitor or another tool your battery count cycles for simmilar issues?
I'm mean there is a small (unlikely) posssibility that the cycle count is not read out correctly.

Thanks

I bought my g750jx in 26 july and i had the same problem. 892 cycle count and 2% usage. I've returned my laptop because i had the stupid screen flickering and grey lines. When i charged my battery , it charged to 100% but then after a day or so the battery was 94% charged and i didnt removes the AC adapter. I saw a guy's hwmonitor print screen on notebookreview forum and he had the same thing at the battery. Before the Asus g750jx i owned a refurbished Alienware M17x r3 for 2 years and had 0 problems with the laptop. I sincerely regret my decision of buying this laptop. The performance is good but Asus doesn't give a s**t about the peripherals an build quality and this is the flagship of Asus laptops.

Pitchblack
08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
....i owned a refurbished Alienware M17x r3 for 2 years and had 0 problems with the laptop....

Before I had an AW m18x R1 and no issues at all. With my recent m14x R2 I had not so much luck I mean it was running fine no problem but the left usb port literally fell off and the support told me they give a. So I guess they all alike I think I was too spolied service wise the last years having apple products and pro support on our dell professional products (precisions and poweredge). After I decide to buy the last remaining m17x R4 from this dealer it was sold already that's one of the reasons I go with G750.

OK back to the topic. In this case it looks like an reporting problem of the battery/bios/interface or the software I used.

btw: Please ASUS if you really have the need to limitd the cpu @ 800 MHz on battery PLEASE activate the Intel HD 4600 on the CPU die to get the full advantage of the Haswell architecture.

Edit by cl-Albert: @Pitchblack, if you're looking for better performance on battery power, newer bios versions are available to solve this for the G750 series, so check your bios version as well as Power4Gear setting if installed. This sticky thread is a bit long, but has more info if you're interested: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35062-Processor-stuck-at-.77Ghz-when-unplugged-solved-w-new-bios&country=&status=

ExTenebraeLux
08-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi,
I just checked my G750JX with HWiNFO64 and the program tells me:
Cycle Count: 892
Wear Level: 1.0%
Current Capacity 87499 mWh (99.1%)

Funny thing is, as I got it new I checked the stats and the cycle count was 892... but the wear level was higher (2.1%) than now. Seems to be a problem with the software. The Notebook works without any problem.

DrPhill94
12-25-2013, 07:29 PM
It's part of the power-efficiency, if you look while it's plugged in, hover over the battery. 9 out of 10 times I do my percent is between 90-99% and it reads "plugged in, not charging". It runs off of the AC power but the battery slowly drains to make sure when you unplug it it doesn't just shut down. It's like a trickle charge, also helps keep the battery healthy. This is like the 1st generation of laptops where it's actually beneficial to keep it plugged in as much as possible

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:22 PM
This is why a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. When you don't have all the info, don't jump to conclusions - at least keep it to yourself until you do some "vetting" of the issue to make sure the info you are sharing is valid.

You can't have a hair trigger about "bad" numbers from software - they are written by people who don't have all the hardware in the world available to test against. Some hardware somewhere is gonna give a funny result.

If the result doesn't make sense, it is because it is wrong, not because someone is trying to scam you - that is except for the times it is ;)

My reading is 892 cycles too, and worse, my wear level is now 4.9% up from 2.1% - some dumbass program "BatteryCare" jumped up my wear level from 2.1% to 4.9% after 3 full battery discharge/recharge cycles - I uninstalled it.

Here is what HWinfo shows for me:

One thing to try when getting bad numbers from software, is to try other software, and in this case also try a discharge / recharge cycle and see if the number increases - in this case it won't.

danwat1234
01-08-2015, 08:23 AM
So, there are a few problems with the info in this thread. A cycle count of 892 over and over again. If a battery pack has that many cycles, it'd have more wear than 5%! Well maybe in 20 years we'll have battery packs that'll handle 2000 + cycles.

So the cycle count is an incorrect value and what is a cycle? An equivalent full charge/discharge or just unplug and plug back in within a minute constitutes a cycle? Regardless, that data is bogus. The wear level is what matters, which can be made more accurate with a full charge, wait for temperatures to lower, then discharge down to 5% or so, then charge again.
Over 15% wear I'd say and the pack is on it's way out. Good deals on Ebay.