PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G75VW-AS71 ODD (optical disk drive) CD/DVD not working

blixel
08-04-2013, 03:20 AM
My CD/DVD drive quit working on my G75VW a long time ago. By not working, I mean when I insert a disc, Windows 7 can't read it. It doesn't matter if it's a CD or DVD. And yes - I know the discs are good because my other drives read them with no problem.

I've hooked up a big clunky external CD/DVD reader because I couldn't be bothered replacing the internal one. Now however, I have a new computer so my G75VW will be downgraded to my spare/travel computer. This means I now have time to get this drive fixed.

My questions are: What is the warranty? If it's out of warranty, what do I need to look for as far as finding a replacement? Is there a specific form factor? And lastly, can I replace it without taking 90% of the laptop apart? I don't see any quick release slide switch on the bottom that will release the drive, so I am not sure how to take it out.

SpasTaz0917
08-04-2013, 03:29 AM
Hello :)

The ODD is very replaceable.

1. Pop the back plate open
2. Remove one screw.
3. Push the metal piece from where you removed the screw.
Or simply pull it out. I mean the ODD
Voila! Your ODD is out.

4. Remove the "door" and unscrew the metal thing.
5. Put the stuff in the new ODD.
6. Put the laptop back together ;)
The form factor you should get is 12.7mm

They're fairly cheap, on eBay or retailers.
So the question is want a blu ray drive or just DVD?

Edit - if you're in Europe there should be a 2 year warranty ;)

blixel
08-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. So it's just an "internal slim"?

Clintlgm
08-04-2013, 03:40 AM
You might try this fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me) just incase its not a hardware problem

SpasTaz0917
08-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Yes :)

Actually my ODD sata port stopped working yesterday...
Don't know why, and don't know how I fixed it...

My micro horror story from yesterday...
But it wouldn't show up in the device management, but I could hear the disc spinning.
Installed the ODD in a another laptop it worked fine.
Poked the sata port with a stick... Then it started working x)

So I really don't know how I fixed it yesterday x)
The laptop had been dismembered and laying around for week.
So it might have been dust in the ports for all I know.

blixel
08-04-2013, 04:01 AM
Pretty sure it's a hardware problem because I can't even use the drive to boot. So it's not a Windows problem.

SpasTaz0917
08-04-2013, 04:04 AM
But can you see the DVD drive in the device manager?
If so, the drive may have gone "blind"

blixel
08-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Assume the hard-drive was wiped out and I needed to re-install the operating system. If I can't use the drive to boot from, then I wouldn't even be able to install Windows. See my point?

Clintlgm
08-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Well no, you can create a USB thumb drive to install window. This thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) will show you how.