PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Recommendations

PeGaSuS.sc2
08-04-2013, 06:49 AM
So after my little mix up with my brand new 2 day old Asus G750 laptop I am thinking of returning it for a different laptop. I've used MSI before, served me well for 3 months until a hard disk failure occurred. Does anyone have any good laptop brands to buy from? Strictly gaming and programming so no ultrabooks etc.

Zygomorphic
08-04-2013, 11:44 AM
I would recommend the G750, since ASUS hardware is well made. MSI doesn't tend to make reliable laptops, so I wouldn't recommend them in any event. The reliable vendors (consistent high ratings on reliability) are:
Toshiba, ASUS, Apple, Sony - usually in that order. Toshiba laptops often don't have 1080p (a deal-breaker for me), and I don't like Apple or Sony since they don't support LINUX all that well. Hence, ASUS for me, and zero problems so far! :)

As to programming, you will want an SSD if you can get it, since that makes so much difference in compile times. That, and a 1080p monitor (plus external) if possible.

PeGaSuS.sc2
08-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I would recommend the G750, since ASUS hardware is well made. MSI doesn't tend to make reliable laptops, so I wouldn't recommend them in any event. The reliable vendors (consistent high ratings on reliability) are:
Toshiba, ASUS, Apple, Sony - usually in that order. Toshiba laptops often don't have 1080p (a deal-breaker for me), and I don't like Apple or Sony since they don't support LINUX all that well. Hence, ASUS for me, and zero problems so far! :)

As to programming, you will want an SSD if you can get it, since that makes so much difference in compile times. That, and a 1080p monitor (plus external) if possible.

Yeah, MSI laptop's aren't the best, a friend who is out of town for some summer vacation has lent me his brand new ASUS G750 laptop, I even opened the package, and well there are some screen problems, its the G750JX-RB71 not the DB71 so I don't know, if I buy a G750 it will probably be the DB71, any know issues or problems? How are AlienWare laptops as well?

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I had an M11x R3. Terrible experience. It gave me toasted skin syndrome. My sister has an M14x R2 which is serving her well tho. I think it was just all the parts in a small space on my m11x.

adamsyes
08-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Hm, the only reasonable laptop in your case i'd would recommend is Razer, MacBook Pro or Sony

Well, i'll be frank with you..MSI isn't ideal for Programming, maybe Gaming but at the end any laptop with high end spec is viable for whatever cosumer needs are (it just depends on the preference of weight, model, size etc)

ASUS G-Series are probably the if not the most flexible laptop you would find this year.

Light weight, balanced design, actually pretty impressive design, and among all decent performance.

The problem now days is the Ego people expect from a "high" end GPU on a laptop, when most laptops with high end gpu end up being over-priced or having heat outputs. you got to remember, a good laptop requires a balance in extreme performance and cooling along with it's design.

most brands ignore those 3 virtues and just throw stacking all the gimmicks whistle and what not to impress the consumers.

at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide which you feel comfortable and suits your needs.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2013, 01:39 AM
I had an M11x R3. Terrible experience. It gave me toasted skin syndrome. My sister has an M14x R2 which is serving her well tho. I think it was just all the parts in a small space on my m11x.
Alienware products are just rebadged Dell products (With more lights and $$$). The reliability is OK, but definitely not that great. I will say, that there are always DOA products, regardless of the company. Also, this is a support forum, so the ratio of initial problems to initial successes is going to be pretty high. Just saying, don't judge any company's quality by its support forum. :p

As to the heat output, the ASUS G-series are the best you will find. They are cool, quiet, and don't throttle. The m11x is actually a really cool concept, but all that power in that tiny space just won't cool well. Still, it's a neat (cool? :cool:) idea. ASUS should get their ROG engineers on the case and figure out how to make the true 11-inch gaming notebook.

PeGaSuS.sc2
08-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies by the way. In the end I think I am gonna get the ASUS G75vw, its good with everything. I haven't tested it out and have read only reviews. From that it seems good. Anybody have any hands on experience with the G75vw?

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Why get the G75..id get the newer model. Mine from Frys is amazing. Model Number G750JW-DB71

Antichus
08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Alienware products are just rebadged Dell products (With more lights and $$$). The reliability is OK, but definitely not that great. I will say, that there are always DOA products, regardless of the company. Also, this is a support forum, so the ratio of initial problems to initial successes is going to be pretty high. Just saying, don't judge any company's quality by its support forum. :p

As to the heat output, the ASUS G-series are the best you will find. They are cool, quiet, and don't throttle. The m11x is actually a really cool concept, but all that power in that tiny space just won't cool well. Still, it's a neat (cool? :cool:) idea. ASUS should get their ROG engineers on the case and figure out how to make the true 11-inch gaming notebook.

Rebadged Dells? What does that mean? Dell is not an OEM, and Dell has not hidden its affiliation with Alienware. I don't think ASUS's reliability is any better--ASUS's warranty is not as good as Dell's--but there is no way to tell.

My main gripe with ASUS is the lack of maintenance options: it designs a good cooling system for the G750 only to solder the CPU, use a proprietary MXM format for top-end GPUs, and void your warranty if you diassemble the system. That suggests "cash cow" to me.

If you don't mind that, G750 is fine.

PeGaSuS.sc2
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Going through a lot of the Alienware option before purchasing my G750 I saw that in fact Alienware has a large array of options to choose from, it seems that any upgrade you choose from them seems to just increase your 1500 laptop to 2500. I have no clue about Alienwares cooling but from what I have read here and on other forums it doesn't sound great. The overall look of the laptop (which usually is a big forum factor for me) is completely ****. I hate the way the screen and the keyboard meet. In the end the specs might be good for any Alienware laptop but the price isn't (as well is all the other flaws). I think at this moment the two best laptop brands you can really choose from is Sager or Asus.

Antichus
08-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Going through a lot of the Alienware option before purchasing my G750 I saw that in fact Alienware has a large array of options to choose from, it seems that any upgrade you choose from them seems to just increase your 1500 laptop to 2500. I have no clue about Alienwares cooling but from what I have read here and on other forums it doesn't sound great. The overall look of the laptop (which usually is a big forum factor for me) is completely ****. I hate the way the screen and the keyboard meet. In the end the specs might be good for any Alienware laptop but the price isn't (as well is all the other flaws). I think at this moment the two best laptop brands you can really choose from is Sager or Asus.

The Alienware 17's cooling is fine. Don't block the vents on the bottom. You can raise the back of the laptop for better airflow and ergonomics. GPU cooling is second-to-none, but CPU cooling is probably not as good as G750's.

The screen doesn't touch the keyboard anymore, and Dell fixed a few other issues with this new chassis.

AW gives large discounts; ASUS does not. The ASUS G750 has quieter cooling; the AW 17 has an easier-to-access cooling system. The ASUS G750 has better ergonomics; the AW 17 has a sturdier chassis, especially the lid and hinges. The ASUS might have friendlier customer service through resellers; the AW comes with a better warranty. The G750 runs only on the discrete GPU; the AW can run on both the dGPU and Optimus, which suggests that it has a higher maximum battery life.

I would look at reviews of each laptop before deciding.