PDA

View Full Version : G750 - TouchPad acting up

Slavisha
08-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Hello guys...
I just got the Asus g750 few days ago and noticed something interesting on this machine and wonder if you have find this out to be case with your machine. My machine works perfect with no issues, however if i place lap top on glass table, and try to work using touch pad instead of mouse, the cursor is out of the control, jumping opening the menu etc. As soon as i place desktop over solid not transparent structure it works perfect. Today i placed lap top over my bad which has 2ft of memory foam, and its acting the same as over the glass desk. Now when i put the lap top in my lap works perfectly normal.
To be honest this is not a big of the issue but being Astrophysics major it make me wonder what is different with this touchpad? In order for touch pad to behave this way there must be the way touchpad sending some sort of rays of signal down which reflects of the surface and gets back absorbed in the touchpad again.
In physics we use numerous things beside sound to determine what kind of structure is below us and im just wondering if someone knows how this touch pad functioning and can this thing be potential be dangerous. I mean i am holding my lap top on my lap... planing to have kids one day. :-)
Any idea?

sezer
08-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Touchpad is jumping, clicking on right left buttons while just moving the cursor. THIS IS NOT SUCH A WEIRD THING THAT YOU DESCRIBED.

It happened to me both plugged in and unplugged. I have all windows updates and i just did a firmware upgrade which didn't change anything.

Any other people having this issue? I hope I won't need to send it to repair because of this.

sezer
08-26-2013, 12:32 AM
I even removed driver and didn't help. I also saw the same jumping problem on ubuntu, which makes me fear something in hardware is not working fine.
Is ASUS support aware of this issue?

Myroslav
08-26-2013, 10:41 PM
In this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36157-Touchpad-quirks&country=&status=) thread i described my experience with it:

I have had this issue with Asus N76VZ. There might be grounding issue. Also if you put your other hand on the laptop, it will work fine. It was annoying.

Just try having your other hand touch the laptop while on the desk. If it stops jittering, you have same issue i had.

Stupid
01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I Have this same problem, randomly when I try to use the touch pad the mouse goes crazy jumping all over the place opening things, closing things, deleting things, moving files, ect., but you are correct if I put my other hand on the computer the problem disappears immediately but as soon as I remove my hand it re appears. The model does not seem to matter I bought one of the cheep G750JW models form best buy, I had the problem with it, I only had it for about a week and a half before I returned it and bought This G750JW while they look to be similar at a glance they are entirely different machines the screen is different the raid vs the empty hard drive slot the video card upgrade the cooling system is difference the lower half of the case is different the total height is about a half of an inch different, If you can save your money and buy the jh as opposed as to the jw or jx and of coarse does any one have an actual solution or repair to fix the problem as I can place the other hand on the computer while I use the touch pad but I would rather just fix or repair the problem, if you buy any of the G750 the fist thing I recommend is that you replace the old fashioned hard drive with a solid state hard drive noticeably improves speed and efficiency, most noticeable when your are running on battery power. So if any one has a real fix I would be excited to hear about it as it seems to be a common, almost standard problem.

hozer
01-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I had the same problem so what I did was disable the touchpad and use a wireless mouse. Problem Solved! It's a shame you spend all this money for a G750 and you have to mickey mouse it to make it work!!!

Asus's Best Friend ---------> Mickey Mouse!

Hozer - A Windows 8 Hater!

Stupid
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
As I said before I had a G750JW and now have a G750JH and they both have this mouse problem where the touch pad can be erratic randomly but if I place my other hand on the metal surface of the key board the problem disappears immediately and reappears immediately if I remove my other hand but this behavior is random, some times if I move the computer the problem will disappear for a little while. I even tried paying attention and when I am working out side in temperatures of 10 degrees Fahrenheit, -12 degrees Celsius , or 122 degrees Fahrenheit, 50 degrees Celsius, it does not change any thing. I have a remote mouse but it is inconvient as I am not a gamer, I justified the computer as I work with repair an construction that is sourced from 3D cad images, so most of my time is on a job site where if I can find a place to put my computer I am doing good, much less find a place to use a external mouse, so I find the need for an external mouse to be as annoying as the failure of the manufacturer to install full functioning components in a computer of this level. I called ASUS support and went through the routine with the representative, of restoring the system to factory settings, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, trying to update the driver. In my opinion it is clearly not a software issue it is a hardware problem. The representative indicated that she saw no history of this problem, but recommended that I send it in for service. My thought is that even if they are able to replicate the problem they don't have a fix for it yet, and may not have a fix for it ever as most of the people buying these computers are using them for gaming so they rarely use the touch pad, they use their own external mouse so the demand for the fix may not be enough for ASUS to care enough to find a fix. I can't find a phone number that will allow me to talk to a service technician who works on these regularly. So for now I will just have to tolerate it, in a few days my new wireless card will be here and when I install it I also will install my new ram on the top side of the mother board and check the connection for the mouse to make sure it is not just a connection issue, but doubtful as every one of these computers I have seen or talked to someone about whither it be the G750JW, G750JX, or the G750JW they all have this mouse problem and from the comments on here it spans farther than that so until there is a confirmed fix I don't have time to send my computer to them and let them say it is just like all the others that there is no real fix for just a band aid cover up, known as an external mouse. If any one finds a permanent fix please post it, thanks.

Shawnnepc
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
As I said before I had a G750JW and now have a G750JH and they both have this mouse problem where the touch pad can be erratic randomly but if I place my other hand on the metal surface of the key board the problem disappears immediately and reappears immediately if I remove my other hand but this behavior is random, some times if I move the computer the problem will disappear for a little while. I even tried paying attention and when I am working out side in temperatures of 10 degrees Fahrenheit, -12 degrees Celsius , or 122 degrees Fahrenheit, 50 degrees Celsius, it does not change any thing. I have a remote mouse but it is inconvient as I am not a gamer, I justified the computer as I work with repair an construction that is sourced from 3D cad images, so most of my time is on a job site where if I can find a place to put my computer I am doing good, much less find a place to use a external mouse, so I find the need for an external mouse to be as annoying as the failure of the manufacturer to install full functioning components in a computer of this level. I called ASUS support and went through the routine with the representative, of restoring the system to factory settings, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, trying to update the driver. In my opinion it is clearly not a software issue it is a hardware problem. The representative indicated that she saw no history of this problem, but recommended that I send it in for service. My thought is that even if they are able to replicate the problem they don't have a fix for it yet, and may not have a fix for it ever as most of the people buying these computers are using them for gaming so they rarely use the touch pad, they use their own external mouse so the demand for the fix may not be enough for ASUS to care enough to find a fix. I can't find a phone number that will allow me to talk to a service technician who works on these regularly. So for now I will just have to tolerate it, in a few days my new wireless card will be here and when I install it I also will install my new ram on the top side of the mother board and check the connection for the mouse to make sure it is not just a connection issue, but doubtful as every one of these computers I have seen or talked to someone about whither it be the G750JW, G750JX, or the G750JW they all have this mouse problem and from the comments on here it spans farther than that so until there is a confirmed fix I don't have time to send my computer to them and let them say it is just like all the others that there is no real fix for just a band aid cover up, known as an external mouse. If any one finds a permanent fix please post it, thanks.

We've sold the G750 to a few contractors who use the laptop for CAD, Medical Imaging and etc.

I've seen this issue on every G750 sold including my own that I recently purchased. It doesn't happen as often as it does to you, but it still occurs.

I think it's similar to the G74 taping issues.

When I get a moment to disassemble my laptop I'll see if I can come up with a simple fix.

hmscott
01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
We've sold the G750 to a few contractors who use the laptop for CAD, Medical Imaging and etc.

I've seen this issue on every G750 sold including my own that I recently purchased. It doesn't happen as often as it does to you, but it still occurs.

I think it's similar to the G74 taping issues.

When I get a moment to disassemble my laptop I'll see if I can come up with a simple fix.

That would be great :)

It looks like a grounding issue - somehow current is passing through to the touchpad from elsewhere. Have you tried using a grounding mat / wrist strap?

I haven't seen this problem, the grounding here is good, but I use one of these to free myself from the laptop keyboard / trackpad - I disable the trackpad if another device is plugged in.

Logitech K400 - nice and light for lap use.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

Logitech TK820 - nice and heavy for active desktop use.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-all-in-onekeyboard-tk820

Stupid
01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
My WLAN card came in so I installed it and my new ram on the top side of my G750JH. While I had it apart I checked all the cable connections, there was a little ribbon cable that attaches to the mother board underneath the number 6 key on the number pad that was not locked so I pushed in in good and locked it but to no success the mouse is still messed up, same problem. I am in agreement that it is either a grounding or electrical isolation issue of some sort, but it has become apparent to me that is not exclusive to the G750 group I have talked to several other people with different models that have the same issue. I believe that I have more trouble than most people, I an going to have to try the ground strap, and see if it makes a difference. One of the people I talked to notated that my not wearing shoes ever may play a role in it, and while I dismissed it at first. Despite my hatred for shoes I do keep an emergency pair of flip flops in my car so I am going to have to see if wearing them or not makes a difference and also try the ground strap option, to see of it changes anything. once I get a little data I'll post it to maybe help others with this issue.

Hasson82
01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Had the same problem, I have significantly reduced the amount of involunty mouse movements by opening up 'smart gesture'(bottom rhs) and deselecting the 'one finger drag'. Give it a go, it worked for me

ROG_Obs
01-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Dealing with this issue as well. It's a good thing that this is a fairly minor problem, as simply resting a hand on either side is an acceptable workaround, but it's still annoying and I wouldn't expect laptops of this quality to suffer from this sort of issue. Hasson82's method above didn't work on my G750, unfortunately.

luckyxseven
01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Bought a G750JX a few days ago and having the same exact issue. It's not a major problem because I tend to rest my wrist on the the edge of the laptop when I use the touchpad but it's still disappointing to know such an expensive top of the line piece of hardware would have such a defect. Please do post if a better fix is found.

hozer
01-24-2014, 02:08 PM
all you have to do is go into the bios disable the touch pad and use a wireless mouse. Problem Solved! I had to do that when I was playing BF3. Before I disabled the touch pad my fingeres would fire my weapon by just touching the touch pad. That is why I disabled the mouse pad in the bios. Now No Problems!

HozerDude ------> W8 Hater

Stupid
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
After some in depth note taking I have at least one confirmed detail. The problem only exists when the laptop is plugged into line power if I am running off of the battery no problem. With out moving the laptop I can hold my finger in the middle of the touch pad and he mouse will go crazy, as soon as I unplug the power cord the problem goes away, then if I plug it back in it comes back immediately, so I will now have to see what else I can con firm with confidence. If any one can disprove this theory please add a thread so I can abandon this piece of the theory. As I confirm more I will add threads.

Rcsteiner
02-22-2014, 06:28 AM
Has there been any update on this problem? my girlfriend and I both have it with our g750jw notebooks

cal920c
03-16-2014, 12:39 AM
The problem with mine seems to be with the HDMI plugged in, except even when I unplug it now, it's seems to have cause irreparable damage...

Doublenn
03-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Same issue, jumpy random clicking in all directions unless I am touching the laptop body whenever it is plugged in to AC. If this is across their whole lineup I want a refund instead of wasting time trying for warranty repair. Using fairly new G750JH, issue started after about three months of use. Contacted ASUS support, no response yet. Guaranteed they know this is happening if even a fraction of others with this issue have reported it. How they deal with it will determine my brand loyalty.

gazzacbr
03-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi,
I have a G750-CV050H and do not have this problem at all.
I start up my laptop with Boot-IT boot manager (which is outside of any OS) and dont have the problem there.
In any of my OS (see sig) I do not have this problem.
Just lucky I guess?

Darnassus
03-24-2014, 08:09 AM
The touch pad plays up because the Charger is poorly manufactured. The slight wrong voltage makes the touch pad play up at times. Or that the charger isn't properly grounding the laptop. It's most likely a bad grounding, though.

Make sure your charger has three pins, not two.

missy
03-26-2014, 09:04 PM
I have the same issue with the G750JX. After sending the laptop back to have the touchpad replaced, the problem is less noticeable but still there.

khalim
04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
maybe its because of the sticker the mousepad has on it? at first i thought it was one whole piece, then i saw (because mine the sticker is misplaced by 1mm) it is actually a sticker that is on the actual mousepad. probably thats causing interference with the reception.

hozer
04-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Hello guys...
I just got the Asus g750 few days ago and noticed something interesting on this machine and wonder if you have find this out to be case with your machine. My machine works perfect with no issues, however if i place lap top on glass table, and try to work using touch pad instead of mouse, the cursor is out of the control, jumping opening the menu etc. As soon as i place desktop over solid not transparent structure it works perfect. Today i placed lap top over my bad which has 2ft of memory foam, and its acting the same as over the glass desk. Now when i put the lap top in my lap works perfectly normal.
To be honest this is not a big of the issue but being Astrophysics major it make me wonder what is different with this touchpad? In order for touch pad to behave this way there must be the way touchpad sending some sort of rays of signal down which reflects of the surface and gets back absorbed in the touchpad again.
In physics we use numerous things beside sound to determine what kind of structure is below us and im just wondering if someone knows how this touch pad functioning and can this thing be potential be dangerous. I mean i am holding my lap top on my lap... planing to have kids one day. :-)
Any idea?

I had the same problem. Since I don't like ti use the pad I went into the bios and turned off the finger pad. I just use a mouse!

hmscott
04-11-2014, 10:00 PM
maybe its because of the sticker the mousepad has on it? at first i thought it was one whole piece, then i saw (because mine the sticker is misplaced by 1mm) it is actually a sticker that is on the actual mousepad. probably thats causing interference with the reception.

That has happened to me, luckily the plastic looks different with the light angled / reflected... I have used a trackpad with the plastic in place, and it conducts the charge across the plastic from the metal and deposits the charge in unexpected places on the trackpad which will interpret the input randomly. Surprisingly annoying until I noticed it, and peeled off the plastic from the trackpad. :)

hmscott
04-11-2014, 10:04 PM
I had the same problem. Since I don't like ti use the pad I went into the bios and turned off the finger pad. I just use a mouse!

There is also a setting in the Touchpad settings that disables the built-in trackpad when an external mouse / trackpad is detected:

khalim
04-12-2014, 06:07 AM
i dont even use the touchpad. i grew up with mouse so im not very confortable with using pad in laptops. however it kinda sux that such a good built pc, expensive and full of details has a sticker at the touchpad. also the quality of the buttons is really bad, i havent used it and it already has some scratches (it seems to be like hard silicon or something like that).

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-12-2014, 09:12 PM
1) My touchpad came without a sticker :)
2) I have static (still a mistery) but my touch pad is fine.
3) Only problem is sometimes moving your finger it activates unwanted clicks on stuff, a bit oversensitive. Is there no slider to configure the sensivity?

khalim
04-13-2014, 05:29 AM
are you sure it came without the sticker? it doesnt looks really looks like one.

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-13-2014, 08:03 AM
i had many weird stickers, like on the power button, top of the screen cam, asus logo, power brick, but not on touch pad ;)

Btw, here on Win 8.1 Update(d), I have no Mouse&Touchpad icon in my control panel to adjust Sensitivity. Only ancient mouse settings.

khalim
04-13-2014, 02:23 PM
The touchpad sticker has the 4 corner in red, its not a sticker like the ones that came at the cam or power, its like a skin, not transparent.

xdon82
06-15-2014, 12:36 AM
What I understand, the AC adapter has got GRND wire, but cable which connect adapter to laptop doesn't ..so it's impossible to ground the laptop. Am I right? design error ? I have the same issue on G57JR. I spent almost 1500$ [in Poland, where average sallary is 900$ monthly due to corrupted goverment and stupid electorate] and I got that ****ty quality...and probably support will not help me. I like touchpads I learnt to use them in efficiacous way. I do not like to hold wrist or my other hand on chassis constantly

hmscott
06-15-2014, 12:47 AM
What I understand, the AC adapter has got GRND wire, but cable which connect adapter to laptop doesn't ..so it's impossible to ground the laptop. Am I right? design error ? I have the same issue on G57JR. I spent almost 1500$ and I got that ****ty quality...and probably support will not help me. I like touchpads I learnt to use them in efficiacous way. I do not like to hold wrist or my other hand on chassis constantly

xdon82, the power adapter is grounded, shunting stray current through to ground. If the ground isn't working, you will conduct that stray current through your fingers. Test it out on a well grounded circuit, and/or try a ground interrupter like the cheater plug.

This only happens when running on AC, you don't see it while running on battery, right?

Another way around this is to use an external keyboard/mouse, which I recommend anyway, as it makes the ergo-dynamics better for screen placement, and takes the wear and tear off the laptop - keeps the human grease and crumbs off the laptop :)

I got tired of replacing laptop keyboards / touchpads / left/right buttons years ago, and only use the laptop keyboard/touchpad in the rare circumstance that I can't set up the external mouse/keyboard. I keep a set at work, home, and in my laptop bag.

Sorry it is annoying, but it can be worked around.

Try a local grocery store, Target, Best Buy, etc and get a cheater plug to see if that stops the jiggling.

You aren't the first person I have helped debug this exact problem, and symptom. Some have found their house electrical system had serious faults and finding it likely saved their homes from fire and/or electrical appliance failure. Others have tried the cheater plug and that solved it - they lived in an apartment and had no way to improve the grounding.

Let us know if you solve it :)

G56 Hardware! and Software CRITICAL errors - you also posted the problem here...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48332-G56-Hardware!-and-Software-CRITICAL-errors&p=409912&viewfull=1#post409912

rickadlee
06-17-2014, 10:39 PM
I seem to be having the exact same issue! I purchased the laptop and set it up while at work, everything working fine.

Take it home and place it on our glasstop table and the touchpad goes weird when you're not also touching the chassis.

Looks like the benches at work are well grounded or something.

I thought I could put up with that, but also found that 3 out of the 4 USB3 ports seem to be faulty too, constantly connecting and disconnecting. If one of the faulty ports does start working, as soon as you try to copy something off it disconnects again.

Will be taking it back to the retailer and getting a replacement as I only got it 2 days ago and has been faulty since I got it. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time each night after work to set it up, it's taken 2 days just to do Windows updates to get it to 8.1.

hmscott
06-18-2014, 01:58 AM
I seem to be having the exact same issue! I purchased the laptop and set it up while at work, everything working fine.
Take it home and place it on our glasstop table and the touchpad goes weird when you're not also touching the chassis.
Looks like the benches at work are well grounded or something.
I thought I could put up with that, but also found that 3 out of the 4 USB3 ports seem to be faulty too, constantly connecting and disconnecting. If one of the faulty ports does start working, as soon as you try to copy something off it disconnects again.
Will be taking it back to the retailer and getting a replacement as I only got it 2 days ago and has been faulty since I got it. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time each night after work to set it up, it's taken 2 days just to do Windows updates to get it to 8.1.

rickadlee, you probably have 5-12 days left before you need to return it, so you might take the time to try a couple of things that would let you fix or work around the grounding problem at home.

First, do the USB ports fail while at work, on a well grounded bench? If they do, then take it back, that is another problem.

You might try the simple solution of using a cheater plug on the laptop power adapter, to break the ground connection completely - usually that will isolate the laptop and stop the stray current - but you also have to do that for the other devices too - so first test without your external devices that draw power from the AC and plug in to the G750.

If you live in an apartment, talk to the manager/super and let them know of the unsafe condition of bad grounding and stray voltage coming through to your laptop. Explain that it doesn't happen on a well grounded AC connection at work.

If they plug in a tester that shows it is good, you need to ask them to try the high impedance ground return path test, and if their tester doesn't have that then ask them to get a better tester that will test for high impedance ground return path problems, which usually crops up over time in older buildings - but can happen in new buildings with a bad tap on the ground bar.

If it is your house, then try a couple of different circuits to see if the problem is isolated to 1, some, or all circuits, and debug accordingly.

Count this a good thing, you found out you have unsafe grounding at home, and now you can get it fixed :)

rickadlee
06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
rickadlee, you probably have 5-12 days left before you need to return it, so you might take the time to try a couple of things that would let you fix or work around the grounding problem at home.

First, do the USB ports fail while at work, on a well grounded bench? If they do, then take it back, that is another problem.

You might try the simple solution of using a cheater plug on the laptop power adapter, to break the ground connection completely - usually that will isolate the laptop and stop the stray current - but you also have to do that for the other devices too - so first test without your external devices that draw power from the AC and plug in to the G750.

If you live in an apartment, talk to the manager/super and let them know of the unsafe condition of bad grounding and stray voltage coming through to your laptop. Explain that it doesn't happen on a well grounded AC connection at work.

If they plug in a tester that shows it is good, you need to ask them to try the high impedance ground return path test, and if their tester doesn't have that then ask them to get a better tester that will test for high impedance ground return path problems, which usually crops up over time in older buildings - but can happen in new buildings with a bad tap on the ground bar.

If it is your house, then try a couple of different circuits to see if the problem is isolated to 1, some, or all circuits, and debug accordingly.

Count this a good thing, you found out you have unsafe grounding at home, and now you can get it fixed :)

Further developments... Had a qualified electrician come out and check the house out. All good! Which is a bit of a relief, doesn't appear to be any interference and the grounding is working correctly. It still doesn't explain the laptop touchpad issue!

Took it back and of course they can't replicate it, anywhere but our house it seems to work fine so far. They stress tested it and tried again and nothing! So they gave me their display model to try, it does the same thing!

I can't explain it and anyone I explain the issue to scratches their head. We don't have issues with any other electronics is our home and have had other laptops and they've functioned fine.

Any suggestions?

hmscott
06-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Further developments... Had a qualified electrician come out and check the house out. All good! Which is a bit of a relief, doesn't appear to be any interference and the grounding is working correctly. It still doesn't explain the laptop touchpad issue!

Took it back and of course they can't replicate it, anywhere but our house it seems to work fine so far. They stress tested it and tried again and nothing! So they gave me their display model to try, it does the same thing!

I can't explain it and anyone I explain the issue to scratches their head. We don't have issues with any other electronics is our home and have had other laptops and they've functioned fine.

Any suggestions?

Did you try the $1 cheater plug to break the ground connection? Whether your electrician found a problem or not, the stray signal is present in your environment, and breaking the ground connection is the first thing to try.

Here is a report from xdon82 today who was able to take his G750 to a good grounded location, and the touchpad problem went away.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48332-G56-Hardware!-and-Software-CRITICAL-errors&p=412763&viewfull=1#post412763

Although you had a qualified electrician in to test, he might not have done a ground impedance test - more advanced than the simple ground test of most common testers. The ground would show good, but the effectiveness of it is the problem; over time the ground goes bad and has a high impedance / resistance that allows stray current to not shunt to ground.

Darnassus
06-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Just a little note. I have an iPhone and while it's charging, I cannot use my mouse pad. (When my phone is in my hand, touching me, or on my bed)

The iPhone charger isn't grounded of course, so the current is coming from me into the touch pad.. just an experience to open up peoples mind about the situation if they're unaware that they're the ones who're electrically charged by a few volts.

ashvin1801
07-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Not sure if you're having the same problem as me. But I did manage to fix it by accident just today.

Usually if I use just one finger on the touchpad without my hands touching the metal I would have the mouse jumping round/moving erratically. However, if I had one hand on the metal near the touchpad (I forgot what the top part of the laptop is called lol) the erratic movement would stop.

Just today I managed to fix the problem inadvertenly. As I was coming into work today, I started up my laptop as usual and plugged it in. But just after turning it on and coming to use it, I got a static shock (normal where I am becuase of the carpet). But strangely enough, this fixed the problem.

I read from an earlier post that the laptop is not well grounded (hence why when you rest your palm on the laptop, it's grounded). So I think from that static shock I had, I managed to discharge the area surrounding the touchpad, hence stopping the erratic movement.

So long story short, your gonna need to try to generate some static in your body and then try to use it to discharge your laptop. As for now, it's the only way to stop this problem (sorry for the unnesscary pain of getting a static shock just to fix your laptop)

Hope it helps

hmscott
07-08-2014, 08:28 AM
What my minds eye saw picturing ashvin1801 pulling an arc off of his laptop :)

ashvin1801
07-08-2014, 10:08 AM
LOLOL. Meant to say static shock XD. Not electric. Lol. I hope nobody has passed out from my comment before.

ashvin1801
07-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm Cole Mcgrath in secret. Tehee

xdon82
07-08-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm sure now, that this is problem with grounding. If You live in apartments block it's very hard to repair it. Because grounding is a commong thing for all flats...If you live in house, then it's possible to do sth with this... call an electrician

You can also touch metallic elements in chassis, then problem will dissapear

Stupid
08-04-2014, 02:43 AM
You are correct it is a grounding problem/electrical noise shielding problem, specific to the track pad. If the noise source is mild like in a flat block, or apartment building you can usually make the problem go away by placing the hand you are not using with the track pad, on the metal surface of the key board. In more extreme cases like being near a radio/TV station transmission antenna. you simply have to use an external mouse/track pad. Not wearing shoes sometimes improves the grounding. It is most noticeable when you are outdoors, not on concrete, or asphalt. Last time I talked to ASUS about the problem they offered for me to send the computer in but they claim they are not aware of any problem or a source. I talked to a couple of laptop technicians in the area, they all mentioned that the track pad is identical to one used in some of the older Dell laptops that they never did find a solution for. They simply discontinued the use of it.

So far I am gradually becoming more and more disappointed in my ASUS G750JH especially considering what they cost, as I started with a erratic track pad from day one (no known solution, but lots of denial, and excuses) and then about a month later, one of the keys on my key board broke (they offered to sell me an entire keyboard, but said individual keys are not available), and a few days ago two lines developed on the screen running top to bottom close to the left edge (I have not even called them yet about this one). I have only had this computer for 8 months, so I am expecting at least two more problems before I have owned it an entire year.

rootjairo
09-03-2014, 01:46 AM
Touchpad is jumping, clicking on right left buttons while just moving the cursor. THIS IS NOT SUCH A WEIRD THING THAT YOU DESCRIBED.

It happened to me both plugged in and unplugged. I have all windows updates and i just did a firmware upgrade which didn't change anything.

Any other people having this issue? I hope I won't need to send it to repair because of this.

WHen ASUS will repair this?

PypicalTech
12-19-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm having the trackpad issue, I have a surge protector with a ground light (please note I've done some research on GFCI's and adding an actual ground into a non grounded outlet (GFCI isn't sufficient)
Please note that no matter where you live you can add a ground by first go and buy a nice grounded outlet then while installing it if you don't have a ground wire, run a wire from the new outlet to the ground (the actual ground (dirt) not really though just something metal that is already grounded (you'll have to make sure it's actually grounded)
I never have the issue on battery.
I had the issue on a non grounded plug.
Now I'm having the issues on a grounded plug (confirmed by my ground tester)

Is something inside the power supply touching something else? (metal on metal or unshielded wire)
Is the trackpad touching the chassis or a wire or something? Maybe the screw that holds it is connecting it to something?
Both?
Has the issue been addressed?
A new revision of the AC adapter maybe?
If I disassemble and attempt to re-engineer this where should I look for improper contact?

Darnassus
12-20-2014, 07:35 AM
All I can say at this point is the metal deck of the laptop isn't insulated and is somehow electrified by the motherboard.

If you hold an iPhone while it's charging, then draw your finger across the brushed steel, you'll feel the texture is 'different'.

As far as I'm aware, the power pack is grounded, the 240volts line still has a way of escaping.... but the 20volts 10 amps line does not.

I feel a little stupid for what I've said before, I completely forgot about how grounding goes from the power plug up to the brick only. because laptops are not grounded what-so-ever.. only the power supply is grounded.

The "grounding" given to the laptop is the neutral wire.

So our problem isn't a grounding issue, it's an insulation issue.

PypicalTech, to answer your first question most likely is yes.

I'm going to disassemble again and have a look myself. The current could probably be coming from the keyboard, or mouse. I'll disconnect both one day, screw it all back together and see if I get a pathing again.

Not sure for the later models.

It's not the AC adapter that's the problem, it's an insulation issue between the laptop's outer case and the motherboard.

I'll do that myself, though two pairs of eyes is better than one. I do not know your warranty, however I believe you can completely disassemble your unit down to the CPU. (The CPU heatsink has a warranty sticker, so don't break it) Do not break anything while inside, because that will void everything as well. ( Please check your countries warranty information too just in case)

I might be wrong, however as far as I can tell, I am certain the laptop itself isn't 'earthed', the power travels through two wires, red and black.. and what problem we're facing is actually an insulation issue.

Grounding I believe has never been the problem, however it's still an essential to have.

afdandrea
06-05-2015, 01:16 AM
Try touchfreeze. It fixed my problem.