PDA

View Full Version : 2 G Series note books both have heat issues asus wont offer me an rma?

ndenovchek
08-19-2011, 04:00 AM
i own both a g72gx and a g73jh i am having a hell of a time with both of them , i bought the g72gx last aug at best buy and the g73 in jan at best buy since i have had them i have had the worst issues with them over heating. my g72gx 's video card gets to 100*c even with a repaste my g73jh is now shutting off getting around 98*c and i dont feel with the money i paid for it that i should have to repaste the cpu/video on either machine. i have contacted asus and wasent even offered an rma i was told that i should replace my fans in my g72gx and i should flash my video bios on the g73 funny thing is i flashed it the day i got it .as of right now my g72gx sits in a laptop case on the side of my desk, i cant even play games on it because the video has artafacts and even with the best buy 3yr repair plan they dont wont fix it because the computer still boots up.
i under stand they are gaming laptops and get hot but they shouldnt get to the point where they turn off and need repasted and if that was the case then they should have made the cpu and video easier to get to.
i am open to suggestion but most of all i would like an asus rep to contact me because i really need an rma repair or a replacement

FineWolf
08-19-2011, 04:51 AM
For your G73Jh, flash your VBIOS: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update

ndenovchek
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
read my post.. i did flash it the day i got it

ndenovchek
08-19-2011, 06:27 PM
sigh... forced to repaste the gpu and cpu blocks on the g73gx couldnt take it any more

irdmoose
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Depending on when in August you bought the G72, your warranty may be up (I don't recall if they offer the 2-year Asus warranty or the 1-year). As for the G73 you should still be within the minimum warranty. Asus should take care of you on the G73 at the very least. I would request to speak with the support rep's manager if that's the case. In my case they took care of my G73 with minimal questions. You may also have the 1-year "accidental damage" warranty from Asus. Not that I'd suggest that you'd intentionally damage your laptop to get them to replace it. Not all reps are equal, and if you were calling about both laptops having issues they may have confused the two.

There's no way in heck that your GPU should get that hot, but if your G72 is out of warranty there are people willing to repaste the CPU and GPU for you (if you're not able to do it yourself). The repasting should make it perform better than new. Plus it'd give you an opportunity to evaluate your system for a CPU upgrade.

If both laptops are within their warranty periods, I'd make separate calls and if they refuse to help you I'd request to speak with a supervisor. Typically just mentioning the word "supervisor" will open avenues that the representative couldn't see before.

ndenovchek
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM
my date of sale was last aug on the g72gx and its not yet out of date, the fact is i have contacted asus more then once befor posting this . i would have no problem repasting my cpu/gpu i just dont think for the money i have put into the computer i should have to do this. With that being said i would like to point out that the video on the g72gx no has Bad artifacts and no amount of repaste will fix that, its on both 2d and 3d. i did purchase a best buy 3 year warrenty but as i stated they told me because it powers on that its "fine " .

As for the g73jf i had no option but to repaste it today because it would not stay on. i would load a game and it would play for 5/10min and the system would just shut off.gpu-z logs show a 100*/105* temps .
After the repaste the idle temps and some game temps did infact drop but running furmark would put the temps back at 105* and shut off the system

Brian@ASUS
08-19-2011, 10:11 PM
your G72 needs the latest bios update as well. when they first launched they had a bios issue. have you updated this?

Brian@ASUS
08-19-2011, 10:15 PM
have you updated both your Vbios and bios on the G73? did you follow and use our vbios update or someone else? and hopefully you did the repaste only on the gpu core and not remove the thermal pads or put paste on the thermal pads.

ndenovchek
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
yes the g72gx is has the most recent bios. g73 also has the most recent vbios and bios. by thermal pads do you mean the pads on the mem? i left the memory thermal pads in place and only removed the old thermal paste from the core. i also repasted the Cpu while i had the system dismantled.i also left eh gpu and cpu shim;'s in place

ndenovchek
08-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Any other ideas Brian?

ndenovchek
08-24-2011, 02:49 AM
can i bump my threads?

xeromist
08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes, you are allowed to bump your threads as long as it doesn't get excessive (like every 2 hours or something :) ).

As to your problem I would try to talk to someone else at BB. If you've already flashed & repasted and had no improvement then this is something that is beyond your responsibility, and possibly ability, to repair. They sold you a gaming laptop with a 3 year warranty so it should be able to play games. If the monkey at the counter stonewalls you then insist on talking to a manager and don't leave until you do. They have to have a manager on duty at all times anyway.

As to ASUS, you said that they did not offer you an RMA. Did you ask for one? Did you insist on one?

At this point you have products in warranty that are broken. I'd be playing hard ball with those who sold you warranties. What's the point in having it if they won't honor it?