PDA

View Full Version : g73sw probably dead graphics card...

kaelrysh
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
hi all,
hoping someone here can help me out. i think my gtx460m may be on the way out. it just suddenly when i turned on my laptop, first thing in the morning, the boot screen was covered in columns of tiny green lines - and didnt load. this happened a couple of times. then eventually i got back into win7 it worked fine for awhile then started throwing green spots at random accross my dual display then into bsod. all i was running was firefox and office, probably itunes as well.

i was in the middle of an important report for work, so took the quick fix (emergency backup from safemode, then uninstalled the vga drivers). and it worked, minus the 2nd screen of course. but now i need to so something about it.

note also im in hte middle of a japanese summer, with no aircon in the (small) office. so it was getting pretty hot in there. but it was fine the day before.

i have since reinstalled another older set of drivers (forceware 311.44) in the hope that its a driver issue (cant remember the number but pretty sure i was running 320 or something). and whilst there isnt any artifacting, when i attempt to play games (civ 5, jagged alliance 2 etc), so not high spec games, the games themself crash, on a load screen... but no bsod, just back into windows and a box asking me to `check online for a fix.`

wondering whether there is a chance of it being a software issue or is it hardware? or does it need the gpu repasting? i havent done that before, but guess i could have a go.

if hardware, what are the options of updating the graphics card at all? i have tried the forums to find info, but its not been helpful yet.
also is there much scope to upgrade the g73sw (the 3d enabled one)? gpu, cpu etc? much of what i have read has not been very informative. i was considering throwing in an ssd, but it seems that money may have to go to the gpu.

whilst i looked on ebay etc, purchasing an equivalent 1.5gb gtx460m for the g73 is gonna cost about us$400+ inc shipping. (i live in japan), which is more than i want to pay atm. but cheaper than a new laptop (and i love my g73) but at the same time i saw on ebay a 2gb 560m supposedly for the g73... and thought... hang on a minute. i didnt know the 560m was an option for the g73. or will i have to flash the bios or something? then are there other better options too?

anyhow sorry this is long and waffly. but any help would be appreciated.

thanks

ben

billyray520
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Maybe at first it was the heat. But now that you have messed with the software, it could be that too. :) Try getting it back to where it was software wise and monitor the heat when you notice the problem.

The thing that's great about the SW is that the GPU runs cool (mid-40's idle) compared to the JH which runs mid 50's at idle.

kaelrysh
08-06-2013, 01:29 PM
gpu-z is giving a temp reading of 54C right now on idle. only gpuz and firefox running.

billyray520
08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
That's too hot for a SW. Have you tried blowing out the exhaust openings?

kaelrysh
08-06-2013, 11:11 PM
i hit it with a small blast of compressed air in the back end, but not too strong as to damage the fans or anything. got a bit of dust out. does it need opening? also how do i know if the thermal paste is still ok?

as for how things stand. i reinstalled the latest drivers 320.49 last night, and today i am having the same problems. i tried a game, torchlight 2, and whilst it loaded, 5 seconds into hte game the screen went black with the exception of the minimap, and then a bit of screen flicker to nothing at all.
hard reboot brought green artifacts to crash to a black screen (no bsod), and whilst keyboard, power etc lights are on, the hdd light is off and nothing is working. requires a hard reset.
this was followed by a handful of attempts to reboot. but after putting in the logon password it would crash (again black with lights but nothing working).

am now back in safemode, and all seems to be working normal. (though with safemode restrictions obviously).

i will go get some more compressed air later and try that again, see if it makes a difference.

thanks for the help btw, i appreciate it, im still a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff etc.

kaelrysh
08-07-2013, 04:41 AM
oh and when not it keeps telling me the nvidia kernel has crashed.

billyray520
08-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Is the GPU fan working? I think there is a heat problem of some kind going on.

kaelrysh
08-10-2013, 02:30 PM
thanks for the help billyray. how does one check if the gpu fan is spinning?

i also think heat. but most crashes atm are only between 50-65deg. though thats running firefox etc or even just windows.
i havw reinstalled windows but the problem is still there. even on driverver 266,49 or somerhing. so def hardware of some kind.
maybe i need to crack it open and have a look inside.

kaelrysh
08-11-2013, 02:39 PM
opened the case and `went digging` for the gpu etc (thanks youtube), to discover there isnt a fan on the gpu. then i realised you must be talking about the rear vent/fan on the gpu side. lol. as for is the fan spinning, im not sure but i assume so as heat is coming out both ports.
i was surprised how little dust was inside which was a nice surprise, and i am amazed to discover that the laptop has been running (that i put it back together and it worked amazed me) for about 30minutes without crashing or flickering. thats the longest in days. and the gpu temp is idling around 50 rather than 60. heres hoping it lasts a bit longer. not sure what i did, but am happy i can type this on the g73 rather than my phone.
maybe i should go test it on a game.
guess i have to wait and see.

grungeboy
08-14-2013, 05:03 AM
sounds like it needs a repaste.

kaelrysh
09-13-2013, 11:34 PM
sorry its been awhile. like a month. during that time the g73 has beome a lump of plastic sitting on the desk. ive pinched my wife's zenbook for now, until i can get the cash to do something (or by a new laptop). also i have been flat out busy with work this last month, and no time to think about it. but basically it wont turn on without greening out and dying, even in the bios/windows bootup sequence.

as for a simple repaste, i had wondered. but if it is just a repaste, shouldnt hte card or heatsink be loose on the board?
i opened it up to have a look but it wasnt loose at all. so i assumed not a pasting issue. or maybe repasting it is worth attempting before buying something new.