PDA

View Full Version : G53SX apocalypse

troubled
08-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello,

to whom might have a clue...

I got my G53SX three days ago
(G53SX 4GB, i7 230QM, 750GB HDD (+120SSD), GTX 560M 2GB),
installed a VERTEX2E 120GB as secondary drive carefully following some vids, updated 7 with all available updates, uninstalled unneeded stuff (such as Office, somthingsync, Trend Micro etc.), and installed other (Comodo, AVG, ...) nothing too fancy.
Note : I still boot on the HDD, the SSD is/was only used for ReadyBoost and swap on a small partition, and the rest aimed at some specific games not installed yet.

There was one odd behavior : the SSD was sometime lost (in BIOS) when rebooting (but never lost at power up).

Except this, everything was fine, yesterday I used it, and shut it down (not having installed any specific stuff as far as I know).

This evening, I switch it on, and I have a strange 800x600 display.
It does not detect the GTX 560M ! Only the not so fancy basic "VGA Card".
I try to detect "new" installed devices with the device manager. Nothing.
I try Windows Update, One update for an intel HD chipset.
(in the device manager I see 2 VGA Cards, and one was seen as missing drivers)
Hmm odd. I thought there was no Optimus... It install, and I reboot.
Now... I lost the touchpad, and the keyboard ! (although the keyboard is lit at POST...).
Connecting a keyboard and a mouse, I log...
OK... Screen the same, and instead of 2 VGA cards I still have one and an Intel HD Graphic.
And I shut it down (only had reboot until now)... Thinking what the heck !??
I switch it on again, and this time, no more display (even at POST) ! Yaadaa ! I'm in the dark ! @_@
(and no more POST sound, that I activated. Thought I am not sure if it was there at the previous boot).
Oddly enough, it still boot as I hear the Windows tune, but not the BIOS one at POST (guess something was reset), though it same to take ages before it decides to begin to boot, and the webcam is on for the SmartLogin.
Oh and I had wifi activated and autoconnect, and the led is no more lit.
Tried connecting the HDMI, but no image, guess it need to be properly set up.
But I think the keyboard is back because the Num/Capslock led correctly change.

And no, I don't have any recovery disk because I was short on DVD (needed 6...), and was planning on doing it this evening... But anyway having no more screen display limits quite a bit further interaction...

RMA ? Or is is "a known issue" ? :D

Thanks for any help if possible...

[edit : I've seen a post with a similar graphic card loss in there, but it was for an ATI, and the suggested fix was said not to work anyway. Well when I read it, I "only had lost" the card...]

irdmoose
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Sounds like it blew up on you. That does happen. Since it's only 3-days old I'd pull the SSD and return it to the vendor for an exchange. That would most likely be the quickest solution depending upon your location, the vendor, etc.

I would avoid the RMA process if possible, and let the vendor take care of you.

troubled
08-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your input.

I'm afraid it will end this way :(
I waited almost 3 weeks for it to be send from Amazon...
I'm wary of the time it might take to sort this out :/

(tried a VGA monitor, no more luck)

irdmoose
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, usually when something goes south Amazon tends to be fairly quick to respond. These laptops are very popular however, so either way it may take a while to get it replaced. However, Amazon might be able to do something for you if it's a straight exchange. Just be nice and beg. :)

troubled
08-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I managed to log on on windows (the SmartLogin finally recognized me... the lightning is not really on top where I am ^^), and I hoped to be able to switch the screen on/off, or spawn the display elsewhere, but to no avail.
Anyway, I guess the sooner I set up my mind on sending it back, the better it will be. I removed the SSD... :(

Thanks again. ;)

troubled
08-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Well Amazon seems quite nice for the return as they send the replacement before awaiting the returned part, and pay for the return shipment.
And it seems the delay might be really short as they have some stock. Nice. :)
Thought, I switched it again (can't let it go... :D), and this time I had a POST sound and screen !!
But, soon after being logged, it went dark, again. (In fact I noticed the ASUS logo is no more lit when the screen is dark). And the graphic card still seemed undetected as I did not have any aero effect.
I just hope it does not play the vicious ******* being OK when they test it ! :D

Still, I have a small question :
I had an additional HDD bracket ready to set my SSD. I wasn't expecting any to be there, but it was a welcomed surprise.
Should I keep it in case the exchanged model would be without any, or is it standard on new models ? (I'm getting used to open it by now...)

Brian@ASUS
08-19-2011, 10:49 PM
the hdd caddys are now standard on the g53sx if they are sending you a brand new retail box, it should come equipped, if they are just sending you the bare notebook, it may not come with it. FYI, there should be a F9 recovery option built into the C partition. no need for a recovery disc

troubled
08-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Ok, thanks for the info ! As I am supposed to ship back everything, I hope they do the same ! :D

Indeed, I noticed the leading 25GB partition, but had not noticed the F9 option to use it.
Thought, I guess I'll still try to make some recovery disk more tailored once I get the replacement ;)

legolas911
08-19-2011, 11:02 PM
You have tried to check that your monitor isn't just disabled right? Fn + F7

troubled
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, but I don't think it would not even be lit during POST with the Fn+F7 disabled, would it ? (and when the screen is dark, I don't even have the POST sound)
Though, I hate that the Fn modifiers do not work until logged. Not very pratical to type in a dark room when the keyboard is not lit to type the password but after.
Well it is the same thing on my old FS3a.

But the whole behavior is more tricky that "only the screen being dark". Now it take a few min before deciding to start booting, and the graphic card being on undetermined vacations add to the strangeness (well... Now without display, who cares ? :D).