PDA

View Full Version : G53SW Inconsistent Black Screen on Startup

Dyskresiac
08-07-2013, 12:36 AM
I've been reading up on people getting a black screen on startup. I've been getting it too. But for me, it only seems to happen when I go on travel or keep it off for an extended period of time. Sometimes, if I just leave it on it'll eventually have video after about an hour or so.

This time, that wasn't happening. So I took off the touchpad-- nothing. When I removed one stick of RAM, it worked! Shut down, put the stick back in. Still works. Whew.

All right, time to reassemble!

......and now it doesn't work.

All right, time to disassemble.... AGAIN! Try the same thing again.

...and it still doesn't work.

WHEN I get this thing to work it'll be months before this issue happens again.

Has anyone had this kind of issue regularly and intermittant like this? It obviously isn't a dying GPU because it can run games fantastically if I can get the darn thing to turn on. It almost feels like I should never shut it off. This is frustrating!

Dyskresiac
08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Trying again after about 20 minutes WITH it in the disassembled state, it's working again. $10 says when I reassemble it won't work again, so input would still be helpful if anyone has any ideas.

Edit: keeping it this way for the time being. But would like to eventually put it back together.

cl-Albert
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Not sure if you are having the same issue, but I have similar problems with my work notebook of a different model and it appears to be a problem with the memory slot on the notebook motherboard. I'm guessing there might be some kind of loose solder connection with the memory socket on the motherboard that causes problems when a memory module is installed in that slot.

Anyway, if all your memory slots are full, you might try leaving one of them empty to see if the problem ever comes back, but unfortunately on your model a couple of the memory slots are difficult to get to, so may not be as easy to do.

If you remember which memory slot you removed the memory from last time to get it working again, try leaving that slot empty first to see if the problem ever comes back (if it works though, you might still want to check that memory module and clean the contacts to make sure it isn't a problem with the memory module itself instead of the motherboard memory slot.).

Good luck!