PDA

View Full Version : G73SW Replacement Battery Questions

goodwill295
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Hello all,
I recently repaired my laptops motherboard, as posted in another thread, and everyone here was super helpful. So, i have decided to post a new question here about getting a replacement battery.

I have been shopping around for a new battery since mine is two years old now and I am confused on what kind to get. My OEM battery states that it is for a g73SW-XN2 and it is rated at 14.4V 5200mAH 74Wh. But all of the replacement batteries that i have looked at are rated at 14.8V including the original replacement battery from the ASUS eStore. But on the eStore it says it is compatible with almost all the latest G-series models, despite having different voltages.

So, any suggestions on where to get a reliable new battery?

On a side note, upon opening my laptop i found that the VGA is for a G73JH series laptop and that the shell itself says it is a G73SW-A1 laptop...

Pitcher@asus
08-08-2013, 02:53 AM
i think if you buy from asus estore, it is compatibility.

cl-Albert
08-08-2013, 07:34 PM
On a side note, upon opening my laptop i found that the VGA is for a G73JH series laptop and that the shell itself says it is a G73SW-A1 laptop...

Glad to hear your motherboard replacement went successfully.
Not sure how you are checking the VGA card model, but the G73JH is using the ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5870 while the G73SW has the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M, so if you just check your display adapter in Windows this should help you tell the difference between the 2 models despite whatever is printed on the circuit boards.

Hope this helps!

goodwill295
08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Glad to hear your motherboard replacement went successfully.
Not sure how you are checking the VGA card model, but the G73JH is using the ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5870 while the G73SW has the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M, so if you just check your display adapter in Windows this should help you tell the difference between the 2 models despite whatever is printed on the circuit boards.

Hope this helps!

My apologies, it says G73JW on it not JH like i originally said. I'm just confused because my computer has so many different parts from different models it seems. The battery is a G73SW-XN2, the VGA is G73JW, and the shell is G73SW-A1. And all of these laptops take different voltages.

Here's a pic of the VGA Board

cl-Albert
08-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Yes, the different G73 models are similar enough that some of the parts can be shared although some should be different, of course, so it sounds normal to me.

It makes a little more sense if you have the G73Jw VGA card for your G73SW since they both use the same NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM graphics. Guess we may not have had the chance to re-label it as the G73Jw/SW vga card, but doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

The G73SW appears to be using the newer Intel® HM65 chipset if you want to run a comparison with the G73Jw from the ASUS global site http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Gaming_Products/