PDA

View Full Version : Was this a good buy?

rex450se
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
While not computer illiterate I also don't know as much as I'd like. I am a 30 year old construction worker who is going back to college to take a few autocad and other computer aided design type classes. My wife was in charge of picking me up a laptop while I was at work last week. She came home with the G750JX-RB71. It has 12Gb Ram and the 750 GB hard drive. I've never had an Asus as my desktop's have always been HP and my laptop's Mac. Will this machine suffice for AutoCAD? Will it last a few years? Thanks in advance.

Victor

cosmicmango
08-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Welcome, your wife made a great choice. I have the same model only with a few upgrades (memory & SSD) and haven't had any problems. You shouldn't have any problems running autocad.

The only thing I would do is download ASUS Backtracker and make a backup of the original hard drive just in case you run into any problems. Asus doesn't ship any recovery disk. You can get Backtracker at the link below, also you will need a 8 or 16GB flashdrive.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Prostar Computer
08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Yes, that will be good for CAD work. The dedicated NVidia video card will prove useful when rendering. The construction quality is good, so as long as you take care of it, it should last you quite awhile. :)

One note: your laptop has a GeForce video card in it. Often, it's recommended that users have a "Quadro" card instead. GeForce cards are often more powerful than Quadro cards, although Quadro cards are designed and marketed for the type of software you will be using.

In any case, you should be fine and this laptop is pretty powerful. :)

rex450se
08-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I was thinking of adding an SSD in the spare bay and using that for the OS and applications. I was looking at the Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb model. Will that provide any noticeable speed difference or am I not taxing the system enough to notice it. I would be leaving the existing 70 Gb in for storage of my 80 Gbs of iTunes and other files. Or would I be better spending the money on upgrading the RAM? I don't want to go to 32Gb since I would have to send it to an Asus certified repair center to keep my warranty intact, so I would just be adding 2 8Gb sticks to get it up to 24 Gb. So SSD or Ram? Thanks again.

Victor

rex450se
08-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I found out that my local Micro Center is an Asus certified repair facility so they can switch out the ram under the keyboard and keep my warranty intact. The fee was only $30 which is definitely worth it to keep the warranty since I just got it last week. So know that makes my choice between an SSD or Ram a little harder.
Victor

cosmicmango
08-08-2013, 02:00 AM
I found out that my local Micro Center is an Asus certified repair facility so they can switch out the ram under the keyboard and keep my warranty intact. The fee was only $30 which is definitely worth it to keep the warranty since I just got it last week. So know that makes my choice between an SSD or Ram a little harder.
Victor

Personally I would upgrade the memory, I bought 2 8GB from Microcenter, if I knew they were a Service Center I would have had them max it out.

Below is a link of the memory I bought, you will have to get 2 sets:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=G750JX&Cat=RAM

Clintlgm
08-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Well I would do both, the extra ram would help rendering very large cad files. But the SSD will really speed things up all the time Auto Cad is hard drive intensive I would spring for both. SSD would be first unless your working with really huge files. I also would and have AutoCAD Installed on my SSD. If you haven't worked with a SSD they are really really impressive. Your selection of Samsung 840 Pro seems to be top dog presently.

rex450se
08-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Ok, it looks like I am going to upgrade for now to 24gb of Ram and will get the SSD. I will have them install the ram in the 2 slots that aren't accessible to me so that in the future when I go to a full 32gb I can throw them in myself. I am looking at about 250gb ssd's and am trying to decide between a Kingston, a couple different Crucial's, a Sandisk or the Samsung 840 Pro series. The Sandisk is their Ultra Plus series, one Crucial was the M500 and the other an M4 series, and the Kingston was a HyperX. The Samsung is a good $40 more than any of the others with the Sandisk $70 less. Is it worth the $40 for the Samsung or are any of the others just as good. Thanks again.

Victor