PDA

View Full Version : G75VX BIOS Issue

NiPeGun
08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I have the G75VX. My notebook died after I selected "Save and exit" when I changed some things in the BIOS. It can power on, but black screen.
I sended to the RMA, here in Spain, and they returned it after a week working again. In paper they explained this:

It was a problem with the firmware of the motherboard. Solved.

Once in my hands after the RMA, I did the same thing that broke the BIOS before:

Disable Legacy USB
Enable USB 3 (Changed from AUTO to ENABLED)
Save and Exit

The notebook died again. Same situation than before.

I disabled Legacy USB cause my external drives are disconnecting suddenly in windows 8 when I copy a lot of very large files from one disk to other. Disabling Legacy USB solver the question.

They fixed the BIOS without replacing the motherboard cause I mini -marked it before send it to the RMA. The same MOBO returned. Is there any way to do that myself, avoiding to resend it to the RMA? Some BIOS recovery mode entering with some combination of buttons to reflash it?

Thanx

Clintlgm
08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes, CTRL + Home keys on start up will flash you back to the original shipped with BIOS as long as you haven't deleted the BIOS file from your C:
See this http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status= scroll down to the reply on BIOS.

NiPeGun
08-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, I have the .BIN file, yes. But don't know if it has anything to do, but that combination doesn't do anything on my spanish keyboard.
I'm still getting the black screen afer keyboard backlit does on-off

GottiBoi55
08-12-2013, 12:16 AM
The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

1. Hold down Ctrl+Home
2. hit power button.
3. keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
4. Let EZ-Flash run (laptop will shut down automatically when it's finished)

This is what you need to do to reset BIOS back to the factory installed version!
Hopefully this will fix your issue!

Also check out this thread Updated to BIOS 223 and now im STUCK in Bios Setup [SOLVED] (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33059-Updated-to-BIOS-223-and-now-im-STUCK-in-Bios-Setup-SOLVED/page2) , may be of great help with your issue!

Pitcher@asus
08-12-2013, 03:46 AM
what tool are you using to flahs BIOS? i suggest you using exflash to update BIOS, if BIOS dead, you can press ctrl + home to reset BIOS to default versiion, if anythink not help, i think you will send to service center to use special tool to flash it.

NiPeGun
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Since I can't reach anything to see on the screen, Iremoved all hard disks from the notebook. Putted the first hard drive to an USB external enclosure and attached to my iMac. Copied the .bin file that is in my c: drive to the root of a fat32 formatted pendrive with led indicator (to know if the flashing is working or not) Full charged the battery. Turned off the notebook. Attached the pendrive to the upper left USB port. Pressed Control+Inicio, holdem and pressed the power button. Notebook went on, keyboard backlit went on-off. Released the Control+ Inicio. Waited for the pendrive to do anything. Nothing. Black screen. Pendrive doesn't do anything.

GottiBoi55
08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
The Ctrl+Home+power recovery combo works only with your OS drive (C-drive) to back flash the BIOS , and not with your USB stick.

Well if you can not see anything on your screen, try holding down the Ctrl+Home+power for about 30 seconds after you hit the power button.

BTW- I had the same problem as you at one time on my G75VW , and I was able to recover back to the "factory installed BIOS"!
If holding for 30 seconds don't work, then try again and hold Ctrl+Home+power for 60 seconds!
I think there's still hope for you!

PS: Maybe I was lucky on my G75VW, this may, or may not work on you VX model!

NiPeGun
08-13-2013, 04:04 PM
The Ctrl+Home+power recovery combo works only with your OS drive (C-drive) to back flash the BIOS , and not with your USB stick.

OK , I removed all disks but the main one. It has only one NTFS partition with the .BIN file on the root of it. Is still a non-go. Doesn´t do anything

Well if you can not see anything on your screen, try holding down the Ctrl+Home+power for about 30 seconds after you hit the power button.

WTF?? If I press Ctrl+Home+Power for more than 8 seconds the notebook goes off. May be you wanted to say: " try holding down the CTRL+HOME for about 30 seconds after you hit the power button. "

NiPeGun
08-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Well, after paying more atention, I realized that the notebook indeed DOES somthing when I started it pressing CRTL+HOME. Never noticed beforce, but if I don't press that combination the screen is black with no hdd led working. But when I power up with CTRL+HOME pressed, after a few seconds the screen remains black but the hdd led starts to light constantly. Weak but contantly. You have to look carefully to notice it. That shows me that CTRL+HOME seems to work. But it seems to never end the task. The notebook never shutsdown, like it supossed to do after flashing. There's no noise coming from the hdds but the spinning noise.

NiPeGun
08-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Oh s h i t. Wait! The flash worked. Cause the notebook reseted itself. It just took more time that I expected to. Like 15 minutes. I went to the kitchen to prepare a sandwich, came to my room just in time to see it rebooting. But the screen is still black