PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network card replacement on G74SX-A1

CYberjudas
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Anyone have suggestions for a replacement card for the Atheros wireless card that came with the G74SX-A1 ? I have heard that the Intel 6200 Half Height mini pcie wireless card is a good card with both bands, 2.4-G and 5-G bands. There is also the 6300 from Intel that seems to be the same as the 6200 but has 3 antenna for 3X MIMO. The G74SX-A1 only has 2 antenna, is there any place to buy a third antenna for this laptop to use this card properly ? and is there a dual band card available that has Clear network like the Best buy version of these laptops ? What are you all using ? Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance !

On a side note. When i opened the access door on the bottom of this laptop the Wireless card is only held in by one screw. Is this common ? I have always seen these kept in place with two screws. Anyone else have one screw keeping the card in place ?

Snelk
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Anyone have suggestions for a replacement card for the Atheros wireless card that came with the G74SX-A1 ? I have heard that the Intel 6200 Half Height mini pcie wireless card is a good card with both bands, 2.4-G and 5-G bands. There is also the 6300 from Intel that seems to be the same as the 6200 but has 3 antenna for 3X MIMO. The G74SX-A1 only has 2 antenna, is there any place to buy a third antenna for this laptop to use this card properly ? and is there a dual band card available that has Clear network like the Best buy version of these laptops ? What are you all using ? Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance !

On a side note. When i opened the access door on the bottom of this laptop the Wireless card is only held in by one screw. Is this common ? I have always seen these kept in place with two screws. Anyone else have one screw keeping the card in place ?

The problem with the 6300 is that it does not have Bluetooth capability like the original Atheros (http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/media/product/product_75_file1.pdf) card. Personally I got a 6230 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html), it can do both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands unlike the pre-installed card and is Bluetooth capable. Unfortunately it only has two antenna slots so it can only do 300Mbps instead of the 450Mbps the 6300 can handle. As for another antenna, most places you can buy the card will probably have an antenna that should work fine, installing it would be the real challenge.

As for the screw, as far I know that seems to be pretty standard for the G7x series, it isn't really necessary to have both screws and I guess Asus decided they didn't need the second one.

Norsky48
10-10-2011, 02:42 AM
The problem with the 6300 is that it does not have Bluetooth capability like the original Atheros (http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/media/product/product_75_file1.pdf) card. Personally I got a 6230 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html), it can do both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands unlike the pre-installed card and is Bluetooth capable. Unfortunately it only has two antenna slots so it can only do 300Mbps instead of the 450Mbps the 6300 can handle. As for another antenna, most places you can buy the card will probably have an antenna that should work fine, installing it would be the real challenge.

As for the screw, as far I know that seems to be pretty standard for the G7x series, it isn't really necessary to have both screws and I guess Asus decided they didn't need the second one.

Snelk,

I am interested in the 6230. Perhaps you can tell me, does it work with the fnF2 sequence to turn it on and off? Thanks.

Chastity@ASUS
10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Snelk,

I am interested in the 6230. Perhaps you can tell me, does it work with the fnF2 sequence to turn it on and off? Thanks.

Yes, it does

Norsky48
10-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Yes, it does

Thanks Chastity! I have it on order.

JRd1st
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Chastity! I have it on order.
Let us know how that works out for ya, ok?

Norsky48
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Will do.

I am currently in Europe on a business trip and won't be home for a couple of weeks, so it will be a little bit.

clarkkent06
10-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I have the 6230 on order as well (and some RAM in hand) but I'm waiting for a 128gb M4 deal to come up before I tear apart the laptop. That way I can do everything at the same time lol

Icemanforlife
10-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Snelk or anyone did you see a speed increase with the 6230 vs the stock wi-fi card?

Chastity@ASUS
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
If you are using double-band (40Hz) and connecting above 150, you should see an improvement

mag1
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Are people switching out their wireless adapter (Atheros in G74x) because of lame -n performance? I've found several other users who have the same problem as I, namely when the adapter is in the "automatic" mode (the only way to "get in" the -n mode), the max connect speed is 64Mbps and internet download speed drops to 1.5Mbps. However, by selecting b/g mode, even though the connect speed drops to 56Mbps, my internet download speed increases to nearly 4Mbps (normal for my pathetic DSL service). Clearly there is a problem with the Atheros -n connectivity which ASUS will not acknowledge. My G84x was returned from BIZComm with with a terse "could not duplicate" .

Note: I have 2 older computers with -n adapters which connect with my Linksys E2000 router at 144Mbps and provide me with full internet bandwidth.

dstrakele
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Here's what I get for a speed test off the LinkLINE server in Los Angeles (I'm in AZ) running the G74SX-A1's stock Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Lan Adapter on -n (40MHz) off Cox Cable Preferred using an ASUS RT-N56U Router. My trading platform was open, updating and rescaling 46 real-time charts every second and 7 web pages open in IE9 when I ran this test.

I've updated the Atheros driver to 9.2.0.439, but I was getting these speeds with the stock driver. The Atheros Wireless Selection Mode was "Auto", the default.

I'm searching to see what could cause -n connectivity to have a slower download speed than b/g, but I'm not having much success. http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all has forums that may help you resolve your connectivity issue.

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes, it does
I installed a 6230 and Wireless Console 3 DOES control the Wifi, but no longer even sees my BT. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling WC3 but to no avail.

Any ideas? :D

BrodyBoy
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I've always found the Wireless Console to be pretty useless. It really doesn't do anything that Windows can't do....so I always leave it out after my clean installs. Does Windows see and control the BT card?

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes, Windows has no problem.

WC3 is more convenient than using the Control Panel. At least, Intel MyWiFiTechnology puts an icon in the tray for WiFi, Atheros didn't so you REALLY had to go into the ControlPanel to enable/disable the wifi. Maybe that's why Asus developed WC3 in the first place.

I'll look and see if I can find something I can edit to fix this. If it's hardcoded in the program I'll forget about it. :shrug:

BrodyBoy
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Fn+F2 toggles the Wi-Fi adapter on/off. That's true regardless of which card you have installed.

EDIT: But oh yeah.....you were originally asking about BT. Without WC3, toggling the Wi-Fi with F2 is the easiest way, IMO. If you want BT switchable, too, you can just put the little blue BT icon on your taskbar and toggle it there. No WC3 needed at all.

Then you have one less chunk of Asus bloatware to troubleshoot! ;)

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
True, but that was one piece of bloat that was slightly useful. :D

EDIT: lol, guess what? There IS no option to turn BT off in the Intel BT Icon. I would HAVE to go into the Device Manager. lol

BrodyBoy
10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
I didn't mean the Intel software.....I never use that beyond the initial setup. Just Windows. It has its own little blue BT icon for the taskbar. Gives access to anything you might need to do with the BT device...including disabling it.

Norsky48
10-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Well, I'm back from Europe and got the 6230 installed. It works very well, the speeds in our home office (where the router is located) went from ~14 MB/s to +20 MB/s and if I'm down stairs, I was getting ~12 on the Atheros and now with the 6230 I'm still at +20! A great upgrade for ~$20. These speeds are from Speedtest.net

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 02:36 AM
have ordered the 6300 ult n, and couldn't care less about bt. connection strength and speed are the god's of my world. now, the only thing is, i am still interested in installing that third antenna wire. i know it probably won't come into play very often right now, but down the road... i'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. i know that the keyboard of the g74 pop's out pretty easily, but what about the palmrest's and screen bezel? i need brodyboy, or who ever else has them, to post some pic's or vid's.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 03:42 AM
Another antenna really won't come into play at all right now. Honest. :) ANd it's something you could put in just as easily later on, if & when the need arises.

The G74 keyboard doesn't pop out easily.....you might be thinking of other Asus models designed that way. The whole top cover, keyboard, palmrest, everything, is all one piece.

But if you REALLY want to add an antennae now, let me know and I'll help you out with disassembly info.

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
The G74 keyboard doesn't pop out easily.....you might be thinking of other Asus models designed that way. The whole top cover, keyboard, palmrest, everything, is all one piece.
But if you REALLY want to add an antennae now, let me know and I'll help you out with disassembly info.

well somewhere on youtube they've got it listed wrong. i'll try to find it and post a link. i can't do anything easily later, because i won't be anywhere near the states for another six or seven years. but, i surrender anyway. if the keyboard doesn't pop out as easily as they showed it, then i don't have a great deal of interest in doing it at all. don't want to screw up a new system. so i am waving the white flag on the third antenna wire.:rolleyes:

i wrote down this link on my research pad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rklOixPa_ns

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 12:02 AM
well somewhere on youtube they've got it listed wrong. i'll try to find it and post a link. i can't do anything easily later, because i won't be anywhere near the states for another six or seven years. but, i surrender anyway. if the keyboard doesn't pop out as easily as they showed it, then i don't have a great deal of interest in doing it at all. don't want to screw up a new system. so i am waving the white flag on the third antenna wire.:rolleyes:

If you really have poor signal quality where you normally use your laptop, using an access point can often help. But I'd only resort to that if my laptop really couldn't get more than about 20-50Mbps on a regular basis. If you're in that location now, it seems to be fast enough for you to interact at a "normal" pace on the forum.

EDIT: That video is for other models. G74 and G73 disassembly are quite different.

AQUASTEVAE
11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
If you really have poor signal quality where you normally use your laptop, using an access point can often help. But I'd only resort to that if my laptop really couldn't get more than about 20-50Mbps on a regular basis. If you're in that location now, it seems to be fast enough for you to interact at a "normal" pace on the forum.
EDIT: That video is for other models. G74 and G73 disassembly are quite different.

yeah, i saw that when i went back to the site to watch the video. don't know how i mixed that up. i guess i've just been reading way too many pages of how to's and don't do's. oh, well, like i said. i have surrendered the idea anyway.

animal
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
RE: 6230

If anyone's still going thru this upgrade, Hold off on 6230 and get the NEW version Intel 6235.

The 6230 had 2.4 & 5 Ghz -N Bands, but with only BlueTooth v3.0

The6235 Has the same, Plus Blue Tooth v4.0... and currently sells on Ebay for about $32 (USA), or $27 (China) - if you can afford to wait 4 Weeks for Delivery.

I just got mine today, from China... (I was in NO Hurry)... I'm only upgrading because my Wife just got a new Laptop (VIZIO Ultrabook CT15-A1) and it has this card in it (300Mbps Network Wifi Speeds). So I didn't want to be left behind, and NOW I can finally crank up my old WRT320N Router to the 5Ghz band!

Symho
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM

If anyone's still going thru this upgrade, Hold off on 6230 and get the NEW version Intel 6235.

The6235 Has the same, Plus Blue Tooth v4.0... and currently sells on Ebay for about $32 (USA), or $27 (China) - if you can afford to wait 4 Weeks for Delivery.

I just got mine today, from China... (I was in NO Hurry)... I'm only upgrading because my Wife just got a new Laptop (VIZIO Ultrabook CT15-A1) and it has this card in it (300Mbps Network Wifi Speeds). So I didn't want to be left behind, and NOW I can finally crank up my old WRT320N Router to the 5Ghz band!

My G74Sx lose signal wireless, sometimes, while others pcs don't lose it. This happen from the same router!

Mike005
01-24-2014, 03:03 AM

How has the 6235 worked out for you?

adhseidh
01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
How has the 6235 worked out for you?

I switched to an Intel AC 7260 card about 5 months ago, so much better than the stock card, though only using on 600N network.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

The install took me about 15 minutes, including reboots.