PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

coolsbrah
08-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Hello guys, wanted to ask you about window 8 on the 750JH

So im looking through the boxes and I dont see any CD for windows 8, I want to change the stock SSD from the JH cause I have a better one. My question is: How do I install the windows 8 after I insert the new SSD? Do I download a copy of windows 8 somewhere and then use my cd key to install it?

TekNiko
08-12-2013, 01:22 AM
I got a Windows 8 CD with my JX. It should be in the little box with all the manuals :)

coolsbrah
08-12-2013, 01:30 AM
I actually didnt get any cds, i got the manuals though ;/

coolsbrah
08-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Could I possibly create a recovery USB, install my new SSD and insert the USB and install win 8 using my recovery USB?

bootyroast
08-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Step 1 - Download Asus Backtracker (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS+Backtracker&p=3&s=480)
Step 2 - Backup your current installation onto a 16GB or bigger flash drive or external hard drive (bear in mind that all the information that is currently on the drive will be erased)
Step 3 - Install your SSD, remove the hard drive completely and start up the laptop with only the SSD inside
Step 4 - Keep pressing ESC while booting, when the Boot menu appears, select your backup USB/HDD
Step 5 - Wait for the process to finish then simply turn off your laptop and put the HDD back in the second bay, you may format it afterwards.

coolsbrah
08-12-2013, 05:24 AM
I just downloaded a windows 8 OEM ISO, can I just use the ISO, burn it into a USB and install it from there. The windows activation is automatic im assuming since its embedded in the G750 motherboard right? I'll much prefer a clean windows install.

TekNiko
08-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I have to stand corrected. I didn't get a windows 8 installation CD with mine. It turned out to be a drivers cd :eek:

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Which is BS. Every other manufacturer gives Windows CD's. Are they trying to condone Piracy? xD

Prostar Computer
08-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Which is BS. Every other manufacturer gives Windows CD's. Are they trying to condone Piracy? xD

Which OEMs hand out discs?

Fred@Asus
08-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Hello guys, wanted to ask you about window 8 on the 750JH

So im looking through the boxes and I dont see any CD for windows 8, I want to change the stock SSD from the JH cause I have a better one. My question is: How do I install the windows 8 after I insert the new SSD? Do I download a copy of windows 8 somewhere and then use my cd key to install it?

Coolsbrah, you can download the Asus Backtracker to create a USB backup image of the OS. I've provided the download link below.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=asus+backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Draetor24
08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
I always wondered why we get a drivers CD, but not an OEM Windows CD with new Asus laptops. Driver's are constantly being out-dated, and even using Asus Backtracker to restore to factory default state is a huge hassle. Having to uninstall all the trial software and out-dated drivers, and then updating drivers, all causes a mess and hinders performance on a laptop based on performance.

Hopefully a guide is soon released on how to do a proper Windows 8 clean install on the G750JH.

coolsbrah
08-13-2013, 01:28 AM
After researching this whole win 8 thing for a long time I am perplexed as why it is how it is.

First of all, we dont get OEM cd's with our laptops, a lot of people like me hate factory settings as it loaded with a lot of crap such as McAffee, so I made a clean install, now the problem is how can I download a legit copy of windows 8? turns out you can at microsoft's site but here's the catch, in order to start downloading you need to insert a valid cd key but wait! Our key is embbeded in our motherboards so theres no way to download it from Microsoft's store. The other thing is to look for it on google. NOBODY wants the windows 8 non pro version(why would they if they can download the windows 8 PRO) theres no demand for windows 8 non pro so its almost impossible to find one. This thing bothers me a lot plus the drivers from asus G750 a lot of them dont work! like the wirless drivers.

There should be a way to make a clean install on my laptop easier... and no, I dont want to use the Asus backtracker I don't want any crap software pre installed ;/

teotwawki
08-24-2013, 05:04 AM
I think as coolbrah about windows and asus.
I've spent weeks trying to partition my disk, do a clean install, and start using my g75. Luckily I have another notebook from where I can work and navigate in internet looking for information.

What I want? Back up factory settings (just in case), make new partitions as I want and need, do a clean install of MY windows, install the drivers that I want, and the software that I want (I hate McAffe for example).
The only thing I could do until now is re-partition, and so so the backup. If ASUS would gave me MY COPY OF WINDOWS (which I paid, because it's not free), I could erase the entire disk, partition, install OS, install drivers, etc etc. All this mess is just because ASUS don't spend in a DVD... and we're talking about highend notebooks.

Cjdean
08-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Doesn't Backtracker require you to dedicate a 16gb USB stick as a recovery device? I don't think my laptop came with a free USB stick.

Nodens
08-24-2013, 08:10 AM
I just downloaded a windows 8 OEM ISO, can I just use the ISO, burn it into a USB and install it from there. The windows activation is automatic im assuming since its embedded in the G750 motherboard right? I'll much prefer a clean windows install.

This won't do. Part of the license is embedded in the motherboard but the proper certificate has to be on the OEM disk or installed afterwards. Use backtracker.

On a sidenote, no OEM is packing OEM Windows discs. Some pack a recovery disk which is an automated restore operation to factory defaults (image of the drive) not a stock OEM Windows installation disc.

Also you're not paying for copy of Windows. ASUS pays for an OEM license to install Windows on a laptop which is paid per system. This is how OEM licensing goes. They don't have the right to give you a copy of Windows. If you want one you have to buy it in Retail channels.