PDA

View Full Version : New to my ASUS G750JX-TB71 - beginners advice?

Dream
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone

So after burning through a few HP laptops, and a Dell, I finally switched over to ASUS. I do a ton of video editing (600+ videos a year), and a bit of gaming, so the switch should have come many years sooner. (HP and Dell's terrible, terrrrrible customer service, was the last straw for each, with HP being even worse than Dell).

My model is a G750JX-TB71 purchased from Pro-Star.com (4th gen i7, GTX 770m, 16gb ram). The model is basically "stock", with the only upgrade being Windows 7 Home Premium - I can't stand Windows 8, although if Microsoft ever truly "fixes it", I would consider switching over.

Everything thus far has been great, and next summer, perhaps sooner, I will consider upgrading my single HDD to one or two large capacity SSDs.

In the meantime I do have a few newbie questions, in the hopes of maintaining the computer for many years to come, and getting the most out of it performance wise ...

- The Power4Gear program seems to max out the battery charge to 97-99%. Is this done to prevent "overcharging" the battery and extend its life? I don't have a problem with this, but I was completely unaware of the issue before learning about ASUS ROG notebooks.

- During my initial research on the 770m I saw something about a new driver that boosts performance, but it was risky/difficult to install for some reason, maybe language? My current driver version for the 770m is 9.18.13.1141 with a date of 3/7/13. Is there a better driver/is it worth installing right now?

- I registered my notebook via Asus.com. Everything looks fine. Was curious if I needed to do anything extra to activate the 1 year ADP.

- I've read mixed reviews about how easy it is to clean the fans. Any verdict on this from someone whos done it? My notebook modding experience is limited to installing new ram.

- The 770m is supposed to have firmware level over-clocking via GPU boost 2.0. My only experience with over-clocking is via MSI afterburner. Is a non-voltage, software only overclock still possible/advisable on the 770m? If so, is there an ASUS program to do so, or should I install MSI's software?

- Any bag/case recommendations? Never had to buy a case for such a large laptop.

- This notebook has 100x the cooling design of my last laptop. Still, is a notebook cooling pad worth getting? I edit video constantly and would like the laptop to last. Just not sure if its a waste of money on this laptop because it has excellent cooling as it is.

That's it for now. Any and all input is greatly, greatly appreciated.

cl-Albert
08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the forums! I'll try answering 2 of your concerns below.

- The Power4Gear program seems to max out the battery charge to 97-99%. Is this done to prevent "overcharging" the battery and extend its life? I don't have a problem with this, but I was completely unaware of the issue before learning about ASUS ROG notebooks.

Not sure if this is related to your question, but the battery can stop charging after it reaches 100% and not start charging again until it gets below 95%.
If you don't mind check another thread G46 not fully charging battery (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32826-G46-not-fully-charging-battery&highlight=g46vw), it has more information about this issue that is seen on our other notebook models too, but it may not be as easy to catch the battery charge at 100% and wondering if you may be missing it?

- I registered my notebook via Asus.com. Everything looks fine. Was curious if I needed to do anything extra to activate the 1 year ADP.

Yes, normal warranty registration is different from ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) registration (which is also only available for U.S. and Canadian customers in the U.S. and Canada for select notebook models).
Also, you have only 60 days after purchase to complete ADP registration.
Check the warranty card that came with your notebook for more information about ADP.

Otherwise, if you have trouble locating your notebook warranty card, check this webpage for more information about ADP and to register http://www.service.asus.com/#!register-adp/c203q.

Hope this helps!

Dream
08-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Yes big help, thanks! Found the right ADP site and sent an email off after attempting to enter my information. Battery link helped explain what was happening as well. Thx!