PDA

View Full Version : how much faster is the sandy bridge series?

bfradette
08-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Im working on trading up from a g51j to a g73 or a qosmio.
The qosmio has a sandy bridge I5, with a 560m gpu.

How does a regular g73 with an old i7 740qm and radeon 5870 stack up to the qosmio and/or the g73s with the 460m?

jorlanm
08-21-2011, 05:38 AM
the SandyBridge processor is a lot faster and efficient than the Clarksfield processor...SandyBridge are more efficient and at time almost 30% faster clock for clock compared to Clarksfield...

But comparing a G73JH with an Core i7 740QM/ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 with a G73sw with a Core i7 2360QM / nVdia GeForce GTX 460 is about the same performance...why? Well while the latest version has a better CPU the older version has a better GPU... so its a tradeoff...In the long run Id say its more of a tie...

Note that the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 is still probably better than the GTX 560m at DX11 games...

bfradette
08-22-2011, 12:21 AM
I thought it might turn out like that. Im a bit stuck on the decision, as funds will be limited, so the g73 (whichever it is) would be coming from ebay (I know, but Ive had a side business buying and selling from there). The toshiba would be coming from work, where I dont get a discount, but would have access to a warranty and a damn good one at that.

I saw a nearly new g73s go for 810 on ebay last night, but otherwise, Im looking at around 600 less for a g73 versus the toshiba with warranty. I think Id like the looks of the wicked g73 design, but after reading that reply, it doesnt seem like the extra 600 bucks is gonna be worth it in terms of performance, let alone looks.

bfradette
08-22-2011, 12:23 AM
ah hell, sorry, completetly misread your reply, it was a rough day at work.

Any thoughts on comparison between the Toshiba qosmio versus the g73 series? Would it be 600 (with warranty) dollars or so better that either of the g73's (without warranty, unless I go through square trade, which I know nothing about, save that it exists).

jorlanm
08-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Well lets put it this way...the Qosimo even though cose to the G74sx specs isnt performing close to it...Id say the G73 is a better choice and save you money

bfradette
08-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, next question....are there any lists of the models with major components listed anywhere? my google-fu is only turning up stuff that's well out of date, and Im looking for the best combo I can get with the radeon card. Blu ray is unimportant to me, battery life should be able to stretch as close to 4 hours as possible. My longest college class runs that long, and I don't yet know if I will have access to a plug. I know it may not make it the full time, but as I said, I want to stretch as long as possible.

Finally, I love your avatar.

jorlanm
08-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Ooohhh...Im not sure about this but its a gamming laptop...hence battery life is the ast thing you cheack on these...

My G73sw-3DE gives me 2 1/2 hours regular computing on High Performance setting...So f you turn battery setting you might squezz 3+ hours at best

bfradette
08-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Not expecting too much, but if a g73 only pulled 1.5 hours on power saver vs the 4.5 the qosmio claims, well, it'd be something to consider. I don't expect 2+ hours of gaming or anything.
As it is, Best Buy has a regular priced g74 with the i7 sandybridge and 560m for the same price as the qosmio with the i5, so I think its out of the running at any rate. Since I dont' get any discount on a comp at my Officemax job, I might as well get the one that looks like a badass stealth fighter AND has rocking hardware in it.

Now it's down to the budget constraints vs the vagaries of ebay, it would seem.

jorlanm
08-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Oh I forgot...I think the Qosimo can pull 4+ hours is because it actualy has nVidia Optimus enabled...this feature is actualy disabled on the ASUS G series...in this case Qosime is a better choice