PDA

View Full Version : Several Problems with g46vw

btbleasdale
08-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I was given a g46vw for graduation, and need some help with several little problems. It was an open box deal(it had no problems when it was bought from Best Buy) so i can't return it for repair or replacement.
Windows will not Activate. It says my product key has been blocked, and when I called the MS activation line they said contact Asus.

Keyboard backlight doesnt work. Installed all drivers and still nothing. All hotkeys work but the backlight doesnt show up.

Cannot access BIOS. I try every button combo at the ROG splash screen but nothing works. And the other tiny thing is that when I open my laptop, I get a static hiss out of the speakers. The audio on this thing sounds great, but that is the only problem.

Besides this the laptop runs great, great performance and battery life. But I would like to know how to fix these problems. Is there a way to contact asus support about the windows 8 key? It was restored back to factory settings before it was given to me so maybe that is part of the problem

Clintlgm
08-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Take it back to Best Buy open box or not it should work and activate
That being said this is the link for Asus Tech Support (http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en)

chrsplmr
08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Forward this post to cl-Albert through Private Messaging (above under Notifications) and any other
information you have or think of.

Do you have the original box ect. ? Receipt ?

Best of Luck.c.

Edit:::::
I would await his instruction before going through the support site.
This will still probably be necessary for any hardware issues that may
persist after activation .. but that is what I would do.

cl-Albert
08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
@btbleasdale, send me a private message (PM) at cl-albert with your notebook serial number if you would like to discuss more. I've replied about some of your concerns below.

I was given a g46vw for graduation, and need some help with several little problems. It was an open box deal(it had no problems when it was bought from Best Buy) so i can't return it for repair or replacement.
Windows will not Activate. It says my product key has been blocked, and when I called the MS activation line they said contact Asus.
Not sure if ASUS support can help you with this, but you may want to check with them, or just send me a PM with your serial number to check into it more.

Keyboard backlight doesnt work. Installed all drivers and still nothing. All hotkeys work but the backlight doesnt show up.
The keyboard lights should flash momentarily when you power on the unit if the hardware is okay, so if you don't see this, it needs to be sent back for repair.

Cannot access BIOS. I try every button combo at the ROG splash screen but nothing works. And the other tiny thing is that when I open my laptop, I get a static hiss out of the speakers. The audio on this thing sounds great, but that is the only problem.
It's tough to get into the bios when Win8 is installed. Try tapping 'F2' as soos as you power on or tapping the 'ESC' key and stopping after you see the ASUS logo, but both may be tough to catch.
You can always get into the bios through Win8 now by going through the settings 'charm', 'change PC settings', 'general', 'advanced startup', 'troubleshoot', and finally 'UEFI firmware settings.'