PDA

View Full Version : G750JX - How to create recovery discs on Win 7?

Dream
08-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Newb question - I had my G750JX-TB71 "upgraded" to Windows 7 by the re-seller. They sent the Win 7 OEM system builder disc, but no recovery media, other than the driver disc from ASUS that is only compatible with Windows 8.

I'd like to create a recovery disc that I could use to restore the computer to it's original condition when it arrived to me (with Windows 7, and all of the correct drivers). I realize I could download the Win 7 drivers from ASUS and stick them on a DVD, but I'm looking for a simpler/streamlined solution (that will make life easy if I decide to upgrade to an SSD in the future).

I guess my question is : are the "system image" and "repair disc" options provided by Windows 7 reliable? Trying to avoid a future scenario where I install a bare bones Windows 7 (say, on a new SSD) and then have to hunt for drivers/hope the thing can even get online in the meantime.

All input appreciated, thanks!

billyray520
08-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm not familiar with your computer, but since your question is really a Windows q. I'll give it a try.

A. The Windows repair disk is actually just a boot CD for allowing you to do basic low level Windows commands and system restore points. If you have a standard Windows 7 installation, you probably already have a 100MB hidden System partition that can be accessed at boot time. It has the same functionality as a "repair disk." You can restore images, run diagnostics, and other commands, including restore points.

B. Windows system images are very reliable and handy to have. They must be saved to a Primary Partition to work. When you need to restore one, you can use your "repair disk" or the hidden system recovery partition to access your image.

C. The best advice I would give is since your laptop was already "setup" for you, now is the best time to create that system image in Windows. It is exactly as you bought it.

D. You can also create disk images with other free software (like Paragon Free, or Clonezilla) which can be saved to an external USB drive, or whatever.

E. Eventually you will do this periodically, but I recommend that you always save the very first image if you should ever wish to restore your system to OEM original state.