PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Second HDD, Help!!!

CEJAS
08-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Hi, a got the G750 Jw, and it comes with second bay to install an HDD, I got a 500 GB HDD, but when I conected into the expansión bay, it did´t recognize the new HDD, so what can I do, to get it right.

villiansv
08-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm guessing you shut down the laptop, installed it and turned it on. The fastboot feature may have prevented it from being detected. Try to reboot from windows, not shut down.

Zygomorphic
08-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Also, make sure that you format the drive in Windows. If the drive is blank, the BIOS may not recognize it. Also, please make sure that the 2nd SATA channel is marked "Unlock" in the BIOS.

rewben
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
@CEJAS, maybe you need to initialize it first using the disk management? (right click on computers in file explorer, then select manage; in the computer management, choose storage > disk management; a popup should appear and ask you to initialize the disk)

PeGaSuS.sc2
08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
You have not set-up the drive to be able to use it. Right click over the computer icon and select manage. From here click disk management and find a hdd with the same properties (500gb etc). The screen I am talking about should look like this (http://gyazo.com/63f68eaf71340a7e0cf842893cc6f33f). Now from after finding which hard drive is yours (you will see more than one) right click over your hard disk and select extend volume and use the default settings. Extending a volume basically sets up the drive to be used with windows. Once its done you should be ready to use it from there!

kudos the hero
08-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Hi all, I'd like to expand the question a bit please. I have the same model G750JW. I just bought it today :)
My old laptop died on me so I'd like to take the old HD from there, and top up on my new laptop.
The thing is that, I DO NOT want to lose anything on that HD. I've got lots of important files there.
There's also a system on it - dual boot win7 and win8.
What's gonna happen when I connect it and boot? Any suggestions as I've never done something like on a laptop before and surely not anytime recent. Last time I installed an HDD was in the IDE days jumpering the master and slave around till I got it right... Do we even have this master\slave thing these days?
Your help would be greatly app reciated !

Zygomorphic
08-16-2013, 02:02 AM
@kudos, no, we don't have master/slave configs any more. As to booting, the HDD probably won't, though it shouldn't harm the data if it doesn't. The installed drivers won't be right, and Windows ties its installation to the motherboard as well as other things, not just the HDD.

kudos the hero
08-16-2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. So what do you suggest? Should I take out the HDD from my old laptop and try to get more specs about it, would that help give a better answer?
I do not want the G750 to boot from my old HDD, I just want to use this HDD as extra storage, and keep what's already on it.