PDA

View Full Version : G73SW-BST6 Red screen of death?

red66stang
08-14-2013, 06:26 AM

My screen recently started showing red static on anything that should be black and also showing cyan ghosting on white backgrounds. The red screen is right from when I turn on power. I attached a pic of my computer booting into safe mode for an example.

I searched around on the forums and tried to isolate it to either the screen or the GPU. When I plug it in through an HDMI cable to my TV, everything looks fine. I figured that meant bad LCD so I ordered a replacement and installed it. I still have the same issue. How can I isolate it down to the GPU before I go and spend a bunch of money ordering a replacement?

I have completely uninstalled the video drivers and tried a few different versions. I figure since it is happening prior to windows and the driver even loading, that it would be more of a hardware issue than a driver issue. Thanks for the help.

Pitcher@asus
08-14-2013, 07:17 AM
please try to uninstall vga driver and install driver from asus support site, if not help, you can try uninstall driver in save mode, than restart into os install new driver, if not help. i think you will send RMA.

red66stang
08-16-2013, 01:31 AM

Reinstalling the driver did not change the issue. I took a picture of it duplicating the display via HDMI to show a comparison.

How do I go about an RMA?

Pitcher@asus
08-16-2013, 01:37 AM
please visit asus support to find hotline for your location and call it.

red66stang
08-19-2013, 04:30 AM
could this be caused by a bad video cable between the monitor and the mainboard? just seems strange that the video card puts out good video over HDMI but not to the monitor.