PDA

View Full Version : G46 HDD Replacement?

City Builder
08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi,

One of my laptops is the Asus g46
It's got one hell of a slow hard drive and I believe it's only a 5400 RPM drive so I want to replace it with a 7200 RPM drive that I have.

My question is, do I seriously have to disassemble the entire laptop to replace the HDD?

On my G74, I only have to open the door on the back and remove 4 screws, but the video I watched seemed to suggest that I've got to actually split the laptop in half, remove the screen etc to get to the hard drive. That seems absurd to me so thought I'd ask here where people would know.

Thanks

SpasTaz0917
08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I must say I feel sorry for you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvXRuB9bsc

but the wifi card looks very accessible!

City Builder
08-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Damn. Yeah that's the same guy that I watched his video disassembling the laptop. Maybe I'll just wait until really large SSD drives are more affordable as I don't want to put in the 7200 RPM only to find out that it doesn't make as much of a difference as I think it should and have to do it all over again with an SSD to try to get good performance out of this "thing".

I was really hoping there was an easier way. This is just crazy to do all that to replace a HDD that should have been a 7200 RPM to begin with (IMHO)

SpasTaz0917
08-15-2013, 08:42 PM
there's a mSata port ;)
so you could just slap a 120gb mSata in there while using the regular HDD for storage and programs :)

so you can use the Internal sata harddrive while having the mSata SSD.
so it's a win :)

kinda sad the G75's don't have a mSata port :'(

Clintlgm
08-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Well 500 or so GB SSD are available now. I still find that a fairly good size hard drive. and you can take your current hard drive and put it in a external USB 3.0 case it will run just about as fast as it did internally, Keep your less used stuff on the external. The SSD will blow your mind fast. About 4x as fast a any 7200 or 10,000 RPM hard drives.

Pitcher@asus
08-16-2013, 02:21 AM
i think if you want to change HDD just open back cover and careful to unplug two cabes, you can unplug HDD.

panosbob
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Is there any kind of professional that could do this ? Because i really want to upgrade to a ssd but i can not go into that process .
i'll surely destroy it.

City Builder
08-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Okay so I did this, this morning about 4 AM. Without rewatching the youtube video I simply went for it.

It was easy peasy. The only stumbling block that I had was figuring out where a couple of the screws were that were hiding from me (lol).

Turned out that 2 of them are in the RAM compartment, 2 of them are under the rear rubber foot pegs and 2 more are behind the screen under the plastic cover.

Anyway, once I got all the screws out and thus removed the rear plastic cover behind the screen (no the screen does not physically need to be removed to replace the HDD or the battery as it turns out), it then became really simple to split the case using an old credit card. Don't use a screwdriver to try to do it as you WILL mar the edges of where the case splits in half, the plastic is actually quite soft.

Anyway, it took me about 2 hours to split the case, put in the new HDD and put it back together, that was with being quite lazy, smoking a few cigarettes and having a couple cups of coffee.

I'm now in the process of making a bootable windows 8 flash drive using the Microsoft tool to make it easier. I wanted to put Win 7 on it but I'm pretty sure that Asus doesn't have all the necessary drivers and or software to use this laptop under Windows 7 unfortunately.

Anyway, it was rather simple straight forward process but if you do not feel comfortable doing it, then take it to a computer repair shop that is reputable in your area.

I will not hesitate to do it again when I can find an affordable, really large SSD to replace the 7200 RPM that I just installed in it.

I was actually a little disappointed that I was correct that the HDD that came with this G46 is a Seagate 5400 RPM 8MB cache 750 GB HDD.

One would think that Asus would have either put in an SSD or at the very least a 7200 RPM 16MB cache HDD for better performance in one of their "gaming laptops". Oh well, it's got one now.

I have to say though... I suspect that getting Windows 8 on the hard drive will be the hardest part of the whole procedure, as it is now it's not going well. Seems bios is now refusing to boot from the USB thumb drive s I'm formatting it to FAT 32 as suggested in another topic to see if that helps any.

SpasTaz0917
08-17-2013, 06:15 PM
create the thumb drive using rufus (google rufus) creates the bootable for you. create UEFI or BIOS

Rufus makes it so easy it's ridiculous :P

City Builder
08-17-2013, 06:37 PM
worked out fine using the tool from Microsoft, which creates a bootable and Windows installable disk, although the name of the tool has Windows 7 in it's title, it can be used for making either a Windows 7 or a W8 bootable and O.S. installable disk.

Now in the process of installing Asus drivers and software. Computer boots so, so much faster now. Not nearly as fast as my G74 with the SSD primary drive, but tremendously faster than it was with the original 5400 RPM HDD in this G46.

Honestly... If you're planning on buying an Asus G46 anytime in the future, find out which hard drive comes with the one you are buying, an SSD, or a 5400 RPM 8MB Cache or a 7200 RPM with 16MB cache, because it can make a world of difference if you end up getting one of these "gaming laptops" with only a 5400 RPM HDD in it.

I didn't think it would make that big of a difference in both computer startup, game startup as well as general overall performance but it really does. Honestly, I don't know that I would call this laptop a "gaming" laptop with the sluggish performance of a 5400 RPM HDD inside of it.

*For me*, I'd barely consider this laptop to be barely acceptable for a general purpose work laptop with the Samsung 5400 RPM HDD, yeah it was really that bad. I'm not sure which G46 (submodel) comes with the slower Samsung 5400 RPM drive, but I'd not buy it again considering that it's a "must" *for me* to need to replace the Samsung HDD with a HDD or SSD to bring the laptop up to a level of performance that would be enjoyable for gaming (and i'm just talking about making it so that computer startups, and program/game startups are brought up to a level of performance that is acceptable *for me* for what the overall performance should be for something that the manufacturer calls one of their "gaming laptop".

If you're one of these people that say "an extra 5 to 30 seconds to boot my computer doesn't mean anything to me, I simply go and get my coffee ready while my laptop is booting up", then you're probably buying the wrong type (gaming laptop) of laptop anyway, since if you have bought into the whole "Gaming laptop" design & the whole "I'm going to use this as my primary gaming computer" then you'll probably want the best possible hardware in your "gaming laptop" and unfortunately IMHO, Asus skimped when it came to data storage and should have added a nice 500GB SSD drive or at the absolute minimum a nice Momentus 7200 RPM HDD.

When I want the best performance (or the game calls for it) for one of my games on my larger G74 laptop, then I install the game on my SSD drive. If it's not that much of a concern for me, then I'll install the game on the secondary 500GB 7200 RPM HDD as that still provides acceptable performance on my larger G74 laptop. The Samsung 5400 RPM 8MB cached HDD that came on my smaller G46 does not provide acceptable Operating system load time, game load time, or overall performance for anything other than somebody that does not mind running to get a cup of coffee while their laptop and or game loads up.

As the i5 in the G46 becomes long in the tooth, I'll feel the need to replace this 7200 RPM HDD with a proper sized SSD in the future. Either that or I'll need to either replace the i5 with a nice i7 (if that's going to be a possibility) or look to getting a whole new "gaming" laptop. I bought this one from the local best buy, which if I understand correctly seem to get the models of Asus laptop that doesn't have the "high end" real gaming stuff in them but is acceptable for most people that are going to buy a "gaming" laptop from a local retail outlet (people like me I suppose) that don't mind upgrading RAM, HDD to SSD, better CPU (if possible in the future) so if you're going to buy one of these G46 from your local BestBuy store, find out if you're getting one of the models with the slower 5400 RPM drive or a 7200 RPM drive and be prepared to spend another few hundred dollars to buy a nice SSD drive in the future.

Clintlgm
08-17-2013, 07:28 PM
What you want to look for is a Certified Asus Repair station. They can do this for you with out voiding you warranty. You can also check with the custom shops that sell Custom Asus computer they also can do this for you without voiding your warranty.

Maybe this one http://www.xoticpc.com/
or http://www.hidevolution.com/new-laptops/asus-g46vw-bsi5n06-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

I don't know if they'll do custom work or not but they both have good reputations
I wouldn't send it to ASUS Repair to have it done.