PDA

View Full Version : G46 HDMI output problems

SaltyGoodz
08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
When I bought the G46 I was able to use the HDMI port to display content on my TV and play games just fine. I'm not sure what happened, but I left the game on pause displayed on the TV for a few hours as I left the house. When I came back it wasn't working properly and started to get choppy so I exited the game and restarted the computer.
Now when I try to use HDMI to output to the TV it either doesn't work at all or it will work and the signal will cut out every couple of seconds.
I've updated the drivers and messed with settings. I've tried both extend and duplicate as well as external only but nothing changes it won't even recognize that I have an HDMI cable plugged in most of the time.
I've tried having the cable plugged in, TV on and set to the correct input and than turning on the computer--nothing.

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia's website.

No my TV does not have a VGA/PC input on it, it only has HDMI.
Yes I have tried one other TV and two computer monitors with no success.
Yes the VGA port does work, if I can't get the HDMI to work I'm thinking of getting a VGA to HDMI converter.

Any suggestions?

cl-Albert
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Have you checked your HDMI cable, or can you use a different system with HDMI output to check the cable?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can get HDMI output on the G46VW in the bios or in safe mode (unlike the G750Jw), so it may not be as easy to eliminate software issues.

Good luck!

SaltyGoodz
08-18-2013, 03:42 AM
I've tried multiple cables, all the cables have been verified to work. I took them from working systems. I also tried different HDMI ports on the display devices.

cl-Albert
08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the problem should be coming from the notebook then.

1. Not sure if it's worth trying, but if you have a system restore point available when everything was working, you may want to consider setting your software back to that date to see if it makes any difference although you may lose some changes since then and it's a good idea to back up anything important to be safe.

2. You've probably considered sending in the notebook for repair already, but check the U.S. contact page (http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9) here if you're interested.

Hopefully somebody else has better ideas to solve this?