PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JX GPU Overclocking

abeepak1
08-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Hi folks, I'm here to ask about your overclocking results, as I know many of you out there have done so, and what you have done to achieve such clocks! Personally, I am currently at 900Mhz Core (954Mhz Boosted) / 5500Mhz Memory / 0.925mV Voltage. Went through many hours of rigorous OCCT Tests and real world gaming, fully stable, no artifacts nor crashes. Driver Version 320.49. OC via Asus GPU Tweak Below is the 3DMark Results Link:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1089953

On another note, I'd also like to ask you guys, which chances are, have greater knowledge than me; currently I am trying to find methods that allow me to adjust the boosted voltage for the gpu. As there are two voltages, one for adjustable normal and one for boost, the latter being the unadjustable 1.006V, the boost voltage causes instabilities in an otherwise plausible higher clock, if given a reasonable amount of voltage increase. Therefore I'd like to ask whether or not you guys know how to achieve this? My initial thought was to use a Bios tweak of sorts, though I cannot seem to access the bios, nor do I know how as I am not very familiar with the setup. Secondly, is there anyway at all to adjust the Fan speed mapping? As it stands currently, it may be silent and somewhat cool, though I believe I could further optimize this to fit my applications. Please post your results and/or inputs down below and let's help each other out to achieve more satisfying clocks :D

abeepak1
08-17-2013, 02:38 PM
that awkward moment where over half of the sub-forum population has had a look at your thread but no replies appear xD

Dream
08-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Here is my benchmark, no OC, completely stock except for paste.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1093902

For some reason it says my driver is not approved. Running 9.18.13.1193

No problems with the driver. GeForce was happy to install it as well.

I wonder how much of a boost you got from each difference? OC, Win 8, different driver.

abeepak1
08-17-2013, 08:44 PM
My stock 3d mark score was 3126 with the same gpu driver you posted. Yes, for some reason Asus' drivers arent approved in 3dmark lol.

Anyone else with OC i can compare to, share tips tricks with or answer my questions?

rye017
08-18-2013, 12:03 AM
GTX 770M

3DMark Firestrike Scores:
Old Driver 3139
320.49 Driver 3398
320.49 Driver Overclocked 3884

I think some had already reached 4000+ firestrike scores using the new beta drivers.

abeepak1
08-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Its easy to get over 4000 with an unstable over clock. Well atleast unstable by my standards... My core clock would actually go max towards +135 and +800 or more memory and run through the benchmarks all day, though would not last 10 minutes through OCCT error testing, nor real world gaming (BF3) (World of Warplanes).

Though what I am trying to do, is to get those top clocks to become stable, and to do this, I would have to increase the maximum voltage when in boost mode. As it stands, we can adjust the core volt, though it would not affect the voltage when in boost, due to it being set at 1.006 Volt. If we can surpass that 1.006 wall, even by just a minute amount. Stable clocks of +135 core and higher memory would be easily accomplished.

Though too bad no one has yet to enlighten me as to how, nor helped me concoct a way to do so. My next best guess is trying to find a way to access the gpu bios.

By the way, does the beta drivers have problems such the brightness problem that occurred with the 320.49? More importantly, does it offer more stable overclocks?

Dream
08-18-2013, 08:08 PM
@OP

Might be a silly question ... have you tried tinkering with MSI afterburner instead of GPU tweak?

Also, are you familiar with SpeedFan? It picks up the CPU fan but not the GPU fan in my G750jx. I havent played with it much but if you're good you may be able to modify the fan speeds and settings.

abeepak1
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
So far I have tried Nvidia inspector and asus gpu tweak to no avail, and I doubt afterburner nor evga x precision would work, though the latter would be worth giving a shot. Speed fan I have messed with in the past, though I had bad experiences (incorrect data from sensor/inability to pull up controls) in the past, therefore I hadnt thought of it. Rivatuner would also be ideal, though since the core funcs of after burner and X precision is written by the same riva guy, I'm guessing the results from those program would verdict the situation. Fan speed aside, I'm honestly more interested in finding a way to bump that boost voltage, which surely will present VERY satisfying stables Overclocks.

Btw, what core voltages are you guys using in your OC? Mine is currently stable at 0.900V. Any clues on what would be the top safe volt? Granted it must be 1.006v or higher...

TekNiko
08-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Its easy to get over 4000 with an unstable over clock.

I agree with this, but you can still get over 4k with a stable overclock. I got over 4000 twice so far.

STABLE +135 core clock, +500 Mem clock: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/733925
UNSTABLE +135 core clock, +800 Mem clock: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/733874

coolsbrah
08-19-2013, 06:37 AM
what do you mean when you say unstable OC? just starting to learn about OC'ing

iweber95
08-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Unstable overclock is when playing your graphics card fails

abeepak1
08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Unstable Ocs are Ocs that present errors in graphical computation and/or graphical presentation. The symptoms can range from graphical artifacts, specs or flickering that shouldnt be there, to the general system being brought to a halt.The standards vary widely between person to person. Some may be satisfied with an OC that would allow them to play games or do daily tasks without problem. Others, such as myself, consider a stable clock to be something that is error free, equivalent to a non-overclocked system, thus being sble to survive through multiple hours of stress test and multi environment testing (games, rendering, data crunching). In general consensus, an unstable OC is a situation whereby tasks are unachievable by overclocked gpu where normally would be on a default system, hence unstable.

Hope this helps.

@TekNiko mind sharing what voltage values you used on both runs?

abeepak1
08-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Update: Tried EVGA precision to no avail. Cant adjust fan speed curve nor top boost volt. Looks like bios edit and flash maybe the only way. Ideas, my fellow OCers?

Also an idea to try? Seeing that we can push the baseline volt up and above 1.006V, perhaps we can do that, though that would nullify the autoboost volt present to cool down the system when not in use and could present thermal problems. Thoughts?

abeepak1
08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Just ran another test, optimizing the overclock a little bit. Testing is done on non-beta driver 320.49.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1101003

So far OC stable, though further testing will need to be done to reaffirm this.

Dream
08-19-2013, 03:32 PM
@OP

You may have answered this elsewhere, but have you had any problems with the 2049 driver?

Keep doin what you're doin! Good luck.

abeepak1
08-19-2013, 04:22 PM
So far the 2409 driver isn't presenting any issues. On the contrary, it has presented quite a performance boost which you can see in these two links.

1159: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1089510

2049: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1089953

These two, are of course Overclocked, though they are both using the same amount of clocks and voltage.

Of course, if you are going to use 2049, please dont forget to get it from this thread :
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34796-got-Nvidia-Drivers-320.49-working-on-my-g750-with-770m-GPU&country=&status=

Downloading the .INF file from Post #10, Thanks to TX2000. Without those files, people have reported issues with adjusting Brightness, and most likely, your system would not allow you to install the driver in the first place.

I am now looking towards using the beta driver, however, I am not certain whether or not the brightness issue will come back as there is no INF file to accompany the driver, though I hope those with the beta drivers would be kind enough to enlighten me.

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. I will keep this thread updated with what is current with my system. If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or information you'd like, please let me know.

- Satoru Hemmi

Dream
08-20-2013, 10:21 PM
@Satoru

Have you tried posting elsewhere on the ROG forum? I don't know the differences between the desktop and notebook GTX 770, but they do both work on GPU boost 2.0.

Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but perhaps a good research source would be someone running the desktop version on an ASUS mb. Even if they didn't know how to mod the boost voltage, they might have a good idea of where to find the answer.

Ronteque
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
@Satoru

Have you tried posting elsewhere on the ROG forum? I don't know the differences between the desktop and notebook GTX 770, but they do both work on GPU boost 2.0.

Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but perhaps a good research source would be someone running the desktop version on an ASUS mb. Even if they didn't know how to mod the boost voltage, they might have a good idea of where to find the answer.

The difference between a GTX770 and GTX770M or a GTX780 and GTX780M is... HUGE my friend.

I never knew the difference myself until I did some research on the internet. It was too late as I have already gotten the gaming laptop Asus G750JX. The desktop version is like 2.6x better than the notebook counterpart. I am never getting another gaming laptop again. With similar amount of money, I could have gotten a desktop gaming machine with the GTX780. That would blow my current G750JX out of the water.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

abeepak1
08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
It is rather general knowledge that a gaming laptop will under perform a gaming desktop for its money value, though people buy it for what it is. A Gaming Laptop. There is a balance of Power and Mobility that has to be sorted out in these machines, and I'd never see why someone would buy a gaming laptop, prioritize power, and try to play it as a gaming desktop keeping it stationary. That's not what it's for. It is comparable to buying a phone, to use its camera and try to compete with a DSLR. It just doesn't work that way, best to know what you are buying and what it is for before throwing out money.

Besides, why would they use different codenames ie GTX 780 vs GTX 780M, if they were to be the same card of the same performance value? On top of that, we arent really discussing the difference in performance point of these cards Ronteque, what Dream was trying to bring up was it's boost overclock and overvoltage functions, between the PC and the laptop variants. The function is there on the pc, being governed by the bios under the gpu boost 2.0 scheme, albeit the scheme is there for the laptop, just not the functions. Therefore the talk of "modding" the boost voltage.

@Dream Maybe I should try and ask those folks, though I can already imagine them throwing my thread back into this place since it pertains to laptops and not PCs, but it's worth a shot. I'll also be looking for other websites that will be worthy of landing a thread. Though I truly believe that if the boost voltage can be adjusted without a bios flash, new doors will open for 700 series overclocking since it's potential is rather high.