PDA

View Full Version : Corsair H100 radiator on a Corsair 800D Case

Rippedsoul
08-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new here and I'm starting my build in anticipation of the AMD Bulldozer FX-8170 processor. I have an Corsair AX1200 PSU and an 800D case. I'm going to be mounting the radiator for the Corsair H100 heatsync on top. It takes two 120mm fan slots. I'm using four noiseblocker fans on it because I'm really not a fan of Corsair fans.

The question is this:

The top has 3x120mm slots. I only need two of those. Should I block off one to get higher pressure through the radiator or should I leave one open for better venting?

Oh yeah. A little extra info: It'll be blowing air in from the outside.

Ferosin
08-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Covering the third hole will not do anything for your radiator, have you looked at scythe gentle typhoon fans they provide more static pressure and are as quiet as the noise blocker fans.

Not sure on the H100 and clearance but if your mounting the fans to the roof of the 800d then you may still be able to mount a third 120mm fan blowing air in.

Rippedsoul
08-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Covering the third hole will not do anything for your radiator, have you looked at scythe gentle typhoon fans they provide more static pressure and are as quiet as the noise blocker fans.

Not sure on the H100 and clearance but if your mounting the fans to the roof of the 800d then you may still be able to mount a third 120mm fan blowing air in.

I've been looking at the scythe gentle typhoons. They were an option and I really really considered them. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I'm still sticking to Noiseblockers for the moment. This might change and they might get switched out at a later date. But I've already got noiseblocker 140mm fans to replace the 3 corsair case fans. I've tried them out and I've really liked them so far.

These were what I was looking at getting for the 120MM radiator. And reusing when/if I decide to go with a complete water-cooling system.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31421

Kipper
08-22-2011, 04:53 AM
Looking at the fans you are going to use I think you will have plenty of room to run them in push/pull with the H100 rad. I would mount the rad on the two back fan positions which will give you plenty of room for opticals or fan controllers or whatever you want to mount in the 5.25 bays without any problems from the LC setup.

I think I would take the air in from the top of the case for the rad and possibly mount a fan for exhaust in the front fan slot, but that's just my suggestion.

xeromist
08-22-2011, 05:02 PM
You mention pressure and I think what you are thinking of is having positive pressure inside of the case. People generally recommend this because it helps prevent dust buildup and is better at ensuring that air moves through dead spots. However, in your case you are already pushing through a rad so the fans are going to be hitting resistance. If you were to create a positive pressure environment inside of the case then the fans would actually have to work just that much harder. Personally I would leave the vent unblocked or possibly even add a fan as Kipper mentioned. I would probably test with and without that fan however since it could alter the overall airflow in a negative manner.

Sputnikmk2
08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Ive never really liked the idea of using a radiator thats bringing air in from outside, sure its better for the radiator but all that hot air is going over the other components in your system.

Ferosin
08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Depends on what's more important to keep cool, the CPU is currently the most heat sensitive component in a computer so if its a choice of the keeping the cpu or your mobo/gpu a few degrees cooler ill take the fresh air over hot case air any day.

In a case like the TJ 07 or TJ11 you can avoid the rad air entering your main system. Lil devil maks a nice compartmentalized case also.

Orici
09-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm going to use the same cooler/case and are wondering what is best if you have intake and exhaust fans, to have the H100 to pull or push air into the case?

Zka17
09-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Ive never really liked the idea of using a radiator thats bringing air in from outside, sure its better for the radiator but all that hot air is going over the other components in your system.

When you're having hot air coming from your radiator on a PC, then you can be sure that you did something very wrong! Perhaps your pump(s) are close to stop forever... and your hardware you're trying to cool is actually frying already...

So, in my experience with the H100 and 800D, the best is to setup the H100 on the top (last two fan places) as intake and the rear fan and the first top fan as exhausts... additionally, set up a very strong intake from the bottom, through the mid panel...