PDA

View Full Version : Personal Color Profile for the Chi Mei 173HGE

loomitz
08-17-2013, 07:44 AM
hi, I’m a photographer, I don’t really like the Chi Mei 173HGE but now I don’t have enough money to change it so I decide to profile the screen with a i1 x-rite profiler, and I just want to share the profile.

to download the profile just click de link

6500k White point: (more warm color, for printing is the best.)

http://loo.mx/color-profile/HC9GK_173HGE-65K.zip

The Red line is Adobe RGB

7500k white point: (more cool color)

http://loo.mx/color-profile/HC9GK_173HGE-75k.zip

The Red line is Adobe RGB

I, Update the links and the profiles i hope you like.

coolsbrah
08-17-2013, 08:21 AM
how do I check it? I double clicked it and nothing happens

loomitz
08-17-2013, 06:13 PM
follow the instructions of this link http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2009/08/23/stop-losing-display-calibration-with-windows-7/

where say windows 7 solution, its the same for windows 8

YesNoYes-
08-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Great job. You certainly know color..

Question: does anyone know a way to force this color scheme to run in all programs installed, i.e. games? This might eliminate those dreadful lines on screen we get with this crappy screen while running games that desktop color changes don't apply in.

coolsbrah
08-18-2013, 09:18 AM
+1 for "YesNoYes" question. I also want to know

zalbard
08-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Question: does anyone know a way to force this color scheme to run in all programs installed, i.e. games? This might eliminate those dreadful lines on screen we get with this crappy screen while running games that desktop color changes don't apply in.
No, because Nvidia doesn't want us to. You can do it on AMD cards just fine.

There is a petition thread on Nvidia forums (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/501853/geforce-drivers/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-on-t/1) to unlock this feature. If enough people complain perhaps they may do something...

One of the members also created a program that performs a similar task (check the last couple of pages), but it doesn't work for all games.

PPanda
08-19-2013, 06:42 AM
When I Click Add... then browse in the windows 8 Color Management Profile I double click your icc profile but then nothing happens...

No error. Just wont associate with the Generic PnP monitor - NVIDIA GTX 765m

PPanda
08-19-2013, 06:43 AM
*Edit Figured it out*

My god! The screen is so warm it looks so washed out...

Are you sure this is the correct profile?

coolsbrah
08-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Can anyone explain me like im 5 what does the file from Loomitz do?

Does it change how certain colors are showed in the screen?

Im asking because I installed the profile in the color management settings and I do not notice any difference. I am using an external monitor if that helps. If a photographer calibrated his screen using a calibration device I most certainly want to use his color profile, but I dont think im doing it right.

Help will be appreciated

coolsbrah
08-19-2013, 07:03 AM
I think I just made it work but my screen looks so yellowish? is that normal. I dont know how to revert it back

YesNoYes-
08-19-2013, 09:23 AM
I noticed at first a yellowish-redish hue, but once you follow the steps posted above to install the profile and then proceed to go through the "Calibrate my display" option then if you play with the calibration settings a bit you will get rid of the color offset and enjoy his work. I noticed colors on my desktop became much more correct looking and even saw some background menu pattern colors I never knew were there before.

loomitz
08-19-2013, 10:28 PM
hi, maybe some people feel a little warm, other profiles are too blue, the one i made is the more grey neutral for work, i will make an other a little more cool for gamers :)

for the people having problems in games with the color profile try this program:

http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

this one mantein the selected profile in a lot of games.

loomitz
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
i think more people would like this color profile :)

7500k white point:

http://loo.mx/HC9GK_173HGE-7500k.zip

PPanda
08-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Man you really went above and beyond. Not just one great contribution but two! Thanks so much.

abeepak1
08-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow this is amazing, exactly what I was looking for! No more weird blue tint on display. May I ask what program you have used to set these color offsets? And perhaps the program for the graph? I've always wondered what was used :D

Also, is it possible to edit the color profiles you have put, since each individual screen is inherently different?

loomitz
08-20-2013, 07:37 PM
for the graph i use a program call ColorThink, and for the profile i use a i1 Profiler.

Musicmatters
08-21-2013, 09:41 PM
thanks for this loomitz.

It seemed to help remove the color cast from the panel.

I wonder what you have your brightness set to?

I've got mine set to slightly over 50% in a fairly dark room, and it looks pretty good, but it would be nice to calibrate it a norm.

AAndrei
08-22-2013, 07:25 AM
I assume this applies only for people with Chi Mei 173HGE panel on their Asus G750. So if you don't have this panel, don't bother. Also, going via an external monitor means the same thing. Don't.

sameoldsam
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much Loomitz...
I run adobe PP CC and Photoshop CC, would one of these profiles work for this. I need true color, or at least a color setup that will match my imac :/ I have i1 pro but what the display is ie..white led, rgb led, ccfl ect and the luminence and white point? I click your profile links and a get a can't connect message. :( Thanks so much for your time with this! btw I'm not a gamer just for work...also Win 8

Much Love,
Kathy

Nehmia
10-16-2013, 07:28 PM
How do I know which screen do I have? Mine is the G750JX with a 3D/ Glossy Screen 120 Hz

hmscott
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
How do I know which screen do I have? Mine is the G750JX with a 3D/ Glossy Screen 120 Hz

I use either HWinfo64:
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

or AIDA64:
http://www.aida64.com/downloads/a64xe

Nehmia
10-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks man!

My screen is a Samsung so I shouldn't bother with these color profiles the color looks good anyway:

http://i40.tinypic.com/wa0c9i.png

PS: I have tried using Splendid in the past but it made my colors look yellowish and ugly, I wonder what's so Splendid about it

hmscott
10-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks man!
My screen is a Samsung so I shouldn't bother with these color profiles the color looks good anyway:
PS: I have tried using Splendid in the past but it made my colors look yellowish and ugly, I wonder what's so Splendid about it

If you are happy with your screen, that is great to hear, me too :)

You could do a color calibration session with a device to read the screen directly, and make profiles to share like loomitz did for the Chi Mei screen. I haven't heard of a Samsung screen here before yours.

Libraries sometimes have a screen calibration device to check out to use at home.

Splendid could be that full featured screen calibration tool that allows the laptop builder to complete the final QA process by calibrating a Custom Profile for the screen installed in the laptop.

Splendid was good the first time I used it on my G2S, but after a few updates to Splendid I stopped liking the effect(s) it had on the screen image and uninstalled it. I try it every time a new release comes out, and on new laptops, but it still doesn't do what I need. I don't want garish effects, I want a calibrated / tuned screen.

I would think the purpose of Splendid would be to "tune/calibrate" the Specific Model Screen Installed In My Laptop to give a completely professional calibrated image. Then Splendid would give me options to change the calibrated color balance either with Preset Profiles or Personally Tuned Profiles that I could create with detailed manual tuning.

Dream
10-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Dang, download link isnt working.

hmscott
10-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Dang, download link isnt working.

Which one? :)

Dream
10-16-2013, 10:43 PM
I can't get either download page/link to load, at all.

I also tried via proxy at http://hidemyass.com/

Nothing.

hmscott
10-17-2013, 02:59 AM
I thought I would try these calibrations, and see how they work for me. I was already happy with the default settings, no problems with the screen and watching blu-rays and streaming video was great.

Installing these 2 ICC profiles that loomitz made was easy, and although someone said you are supposed to manually adjust them after installation, I didn't see that recommendation in the instructions - in fact the instructions said to make sure not to touch the "Calibrate Display" in the Advanced Options tab of the Color Management - so I haven't.

Initially seeing so much more color was a bit of a shock to the system; color appeared where there was none before. I had to switch between the 6500K, 7500K, and the G750JX default ICC profiles a number of times before my eyes / brain could take it all in. I also installed the default G750JX ICC profile, actually both of them - but they turned out to be the same so I removed one.

After living on the 6500K for a while, switching back to the 7500K is too bright, and switching to the default G750JX ICC Profile is way too bright.

The 6500K setting cuts the glare in the white on text pages. At first it seemed weird to have an off white background. Now I notice that my eyes aren't as affected as by the bright pure white background. When I try to switch back to the default G750JX ICC profile the bright pure white is painful to look at.

I am happy at the 6500K setting, I see more detail in bright areas because detail isn't burned out as with the brighter 7500K or brightest default G750JX profile, and the dark areas of dark images and dark video have more detail - now that my eyes have adjusted.

Nehmia
10-17-2013, 06:12 AM
If you are happy with your screen, that is great to hear, me too :)

You could do a color calibration session with a device to read the screen directly, and make profiles to share like loomitz did for the Chi Mei screen. I haven't heard of a Samsung screen here before yours.

Libraries sometimes have a screen calibration device to check out to use at home.

Splendid could be that full featured screen calibration tool that allows the laptop builder to complete the final QA process by calibrating a Custom Profile for the screen installed in the laptop.

Splendid was good the first time I used it on my G2S, but after a few updates to Splendid I stopped liking the effect(s) it had on the screen image and uninstalled it. I try it every time a new release comes out, and on new laptops, but it still doesn't do what I need. I don't want garish effects, I want a calibrated / tuned screen.

I would think the purpose of Splendid would be to "tune/calibrate" the Specific Model Screen Installed In My Laptop to give a completely professional calibrated image. Then Splendid would give me options to change the calibrated color balance either with Preset Profiles or Personally Tuned Profiles that I could create with detailed manual tuning.

yeah but all Splendid does is make the colors warmer / yellowish for me :(

Wish it really worked

loomitz
10-17-2013, 07:00 AM
I fix the links :) the 7500k white point is more cooler the 6500 for me is more correct but maybe some one feel it more yellow.

hmscott
10-17-2013, 07:25 AM
I fix the links :) the 7500k white point is more cooler the 6500 for me is more correct but maybe some one feel it more yellow.

loomitz! Thanks for the ICC profiles!! :cool:

At first, when the 6500k profile loaded and took effect, my natural reaction was that something had gone wrong - instead of pure light there were colors. Knowing that changing the color balance of a display causes this reaction, I still had to force myself to adjust to the new ICC profile - it took a few hours.

After living with the 6500K profile the screen images now seem normal. The whites are white, and all the colors are cleaner and truer. I look at an photograph on the screen, and now it looks like a photograph instead of a computer image - the images moved away from looking false toward looking real.

Thanks again for taking the time to share these profiles loomitz!!

I thought this was a good read on setting color temperature on an LCD, by Eizo:

"Altering color dramatically with a single setting: Examining color temperature on an LCD monitor"
http://www.eizo.com/na/library/basics/color_temperature_on_an_LCD_monitor/

Dream
10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Everything worked for me. I have both profiles installed and working. Will switch back and forth until I like one best. Thanks a bunch!

kingfish
10-17-2013, 07:22 PM
im also a photographer but right now im learning 3d, but mine is samsung monitor, thanks for sharing loomitz :)

I applied the HC9GK_173HGE-7500k, now the wallpaper color is better even with samsung monitor

thanks much :)

hmscott
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Asus Ops, can we please make this a sticky thread?

These profiles make such a significant improvement to the color for the Chi Mei / Samsung screens it is something everyone with those screens should try. With all the complaints about the matte screen, after applying these ICC profiles it solves the last issue (unsaturated color).

The other issues are fixed by:

1. Setting refresh rate from 60hz to 100hz (or less if your screen isn't happy there, try 85hz)

2. Setting Windows Desktop magnification to 100% instead of the Windows 8.0 default of 125% in the Windows Display Control panel.

Then as long as you don't take out your magnifying glass, or press your nose against the screen looking for faults, for 99.9% of us the matte screen is aok.

soulmirror
11-18-2013, 09:11 PM
The download links doesn't work anymore, can you fix it?
Thanks

eleternauta
12-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Can anyone upload the files please? Links doesn't work now

loomitz
12-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Fix it!

soulmirror
12-02-2013, 03:54 AM
Fix it!

Thanks for the link!
Unfortunately i've the Samsung 120hz model and both your settings looks pretty ugly.
I guess i should expected that, cause they're a really different model, but i wanted to give it a try.
If you ever find yourself in front of the samsung model and you want to do a good calibration, you're welcome :)
Anyway, keep your good work!

royengland
03-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else's screen looking grainy? I'm not sure if I'm just used to my led pc screen, or the actually quality of these G750JW screens aren't really good.

Name: Chi Mei N173HGE
ID: CMO1720
Manuf: HC9GK_173HGE

It's running at 60MHz which I thought was under par..

hmscott
03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Is anyone else's screen looking grainy? I'm not sure if I'm just used to my led pc screen, or the actually quality of these G750JW screens aren't really good.

Name: Chi Mei N173HGE
ID: CMO1720
Manuf: HC9GK_173HGE

It's running at 60MHz which I thought was under par..

Under Windows 8.0 the Windows desktop is magnified to 125% by default, making things look funny - grainy - choppy. Add Splendid color correction to that and it will look really grainy.

Go to the Display Control panel and set it to 100%.

Under Windows 8.1 the setting is even more obscure. Set it to "smaller" as that corresponds to 100% unmagnified.

All the screen types look better without Asus Splendid loaded. Uninstall it, and reboot.

Splendid takes the colors to unneeded extremes, kinda like "Store mode" on TV's, makes it dazzle, but it isn't "calibrated" and is tiresome to look at for long periods of time.

If you live under a Splendid super saturated color display for too long, it will be hard to wean yourself off of Splendid - it will take days of use without Splendid before your eyes recalibrate. If you stick with it the normal "flat" uncorrected LCD display will look normal again, and if you see a Splendid corrected display you will recognize the over correction immediately.

The Chi Mei screen has a flickering issue, not just on G750's, at sync rates under 80hz. I ran mine at 100hz with no problems, and I verified with Asus that it was ok to run at 100hz long term.

Download and install the latest Nvidia driver from nvidia.com. Nvidia has responded to complaints that some rendering situation methods made unflattering images in grey areas and have now been improved.

These changes should be enough. Give your eyes time to adjust. I wouldn't get into setting Nvidia color settings or messing around with contrast by eyeballing... it is a black hole of despair that has trapped many and wasted many hours to naught effect. :)

The first post in this thread has downloads for ICC profiles that I used on my JW/JX and I thought they helped, but I also was happy under a flat uncalibrated display. It is up to personal preference.

I would try to get used to the flat display first, and then later try the ICC profiles. It is a bit of a pain to keep them working, you have to reselect and apply them at times, at least I found that happening after Windows 8.1.

If you have access to a color tuning tool, hardware sensor + calibration software, by all means use that to satisfy yourself that what you are seeing is calibrated.

Libraries in my area provide a loaner color calibration kit, you might call around in your area to see if your library system loans out such tools.

For the AUO screen, like in my JH, do the same things, but the max sync is 70hz. That is the AUO spec at 1920x1080, but for some reason Asus ships it at 60hz.

I like both screens, Chi Mei and AUO, and have had nothing but positive comments from people that saw/used both on my laptops.

maxleresistant
05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi, do you still have the profiles? the links doesn't work. It would be a big help, I need those profile for work, I use this screen to edit videos. Thank you in advance for the help.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Hi, do you still have the profiles? the links doesn't work. It would be a big help, I need those profile for work, I use this screen to edit videos. Thank you in advance for the help.

maxleresistant, there are 2 zip files loomitz uploaded, with the 7500k also posted a 2nd time, but it is the same zip file as the one posted in the 1st post.

Here they are again, hosted on the Asus forum this time, so hopefully they will remain here for a long time :)

HC9GK_173HGE-6500k

HC9GK_173HGE-7500k

Loomitz also posted this link on how to install them, it worked for me
http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2009/08/23/stop-losing-display-calibration-with-windows-7/

I didn't have any problems getting the ICC profile to stick, but this link was also given as a solution in case it was a problem for you
http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

The 7500k is the easiest on the eyes as far as transition between uncorrected and corrected, but the 6500k is more accurate for photo work - whatever you choose it takes a while to get used to it, give it a few hours at least, if not a few days or more.

If you come across any helpful configuration info, or additional tips, please post them here :)

maxleresistant
05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!

udgang99
06-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Thank you!

I bought my G750JS about a month ago, and I have really had some problems with the colors.

Check out this video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2g3Do92ieo&feature=youtu.be
About 7 seconds in, after boot, a new color-intensive profile is loaded.

I'm a graphic designer, so I need my colors to look absolutly correct.

I also have the i1 Display Pro from x-rite, but haven't been able to get rid of the insane colors on the screen. Now I'll use this tutorial when I get home (am at work now), so I'm really crossing my fingers it'll work!!!

THANKS to Loomitz!!! :-)

udgang99
06-19-2014, 07:35 PM
1. Setting refresh rate from 60hz to 100hz (or less if your screen isn't happy there, try 85hz).

It would seem like I can only choose between 40 and 60 hz. Anyone knows what's up with that?

DanniBoi
07-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Greetings:

I am having the same warm color issue when I start my PC, my PC is an Asus G750JM. The thing is that I have try everything and nothing seems to work for what I have try. I go and try "Intel graphics options" and then I went to "Calibrate color" under "Display" the good thing is that it fixes it but not permanent, just until I turn it off, when I turn it on... the problems continues.

P.s. Does anybody knows if there is a patch for it?... much appreciated, cheers.

hmscott
07-05-2014, 09:28 PM
It would seem like I can only choose between 40 and 60 hz. Anyone knows what's up with that?

udgang99, sorry for the late reply, I just noticed your post. You probably already figured this out, but the Optimus G750JM/JS/JZ won't allow changing the refresh rate past 60hz - it is a limitation of Intel - the Nvidia refresh rate changes won't work on the Optimus G750's, only on the G750JW/JX/JH's.

Asuka90
04-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Thank you!

Nemix
06-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Thank you very much for the thread and work put into calibrating the Chi Mei panel.

khartaras
10-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Thank you very much. The colors are accurate and this greatly improved my screen overall.

engali92
03-17-2018, 05:45 AM
how?

Alberto96
11-28-2018, 04:28 PM
For some reason the forum doesn't allow me to download using the provided links, would it be possible to have some mirrors? Thank you