PDA

View Full Version : G75 VW Won't power on.

Chandrenth
08-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Hello, a couple of weeks ago before I went on holidays I was using my G75 to play a game when it randomly just powered down, I thought it might have been an overheat issue with the GPU at first, since my GPU has started running a little warmer than usual but never shut down the laptop, but now I can't turn the thing back on.

Basically my battery was at 100% battery life and was plugged in when it was shut down, and now I can't turn it on via battery or AC adapter. I noticed that the green LED on my power adapter was off so I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it turned on, but as soon as I plugged it back in to the laptop the LED turned off. Thinking it was a problem with the adapter at first I tried with another adapter that I had lying around with the same output voltages and again as soon as it plugged in to the laptop it would turn off. After the first time of just "resetting" the LED on the adapter that came with the G75 by simply unplugging and plugging it back in, it would no longer "reset" the LED by doing that, but I found if I took the plug in that goes to laptop end and unplugged the cord that goes from wall to adapter from the adapter I could reset the green light by just touching the prongs of the adapter with the male laptop end. Again that didn't really help since when I hooked it all up again and plugged it in to the laptop the LED turned off again. So now I'm thinking that I'm having an issue with my motherboard(bad).

So aside from that I've tried the standard power drain on the laptop by removing the battery and power cord and just cycling the power button on the laptop trying to dissipate any charge left in the thing and gotten no results.

The laptop is under warranty via ASUS so if I had to send it away to get fixed it wouldn't be that big of a deal but obviously if I could get it fixed myself for cheap it would be a lot more convenient, but if it involves replacing the motherboard I would obviously just send it away to be fixed.

I'm not sure if anyone else here has had this issue in the past or if they think it could be an issue aside from the motherboard failing but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GottiBoi55
08-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Your problem is most likely a MB failure, check >>> THIS (http://www.laptopproblemfixed.com/laptop-shuts-off-when-ac-adapter-plugged-in/)
You should RMA for repair

Dreamonic
08-18-2013, 02:43 AM
As GottiBoi55 posted and suggested, it appears to be MB related. A partially charged battery alone at the very least should power your G on.

Pitcher@asus
08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
could you try unplug battery, just only plug adapter, is it OK? unplug battery and adapter for a while, than plug again, is it ok? if still can not power on, i think you will send RMA to check it.

Tiwaz
08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Seems like I got the exact same problem as the threadstarter, and funny enough it seems it have happened around the same time. I wake up to a dead computer this morning, the notebook was not connected to the power during the night, but on battery. When I hooked it on this morning there was no response from the powerbutton.

I have tried problemsolving as suggested from Pitcher@asus now and it won't work. Though I still got a green light on batterysign on the notebook and the greenlight on the adapter.

Is this problem caused by a missing update of some sorts? I find it strange that these problems does not happen alot (since I've been googling this theme all day) and all the sudden it happens to at least two G75's within almost the same timeframe, there could be more out there. Purchased my G in september last year and it has been in gentle daily use ever since without any problems, until today.

I guess RMA is the next step, followed the steps in the manual (Hardware Problem - ON/OFF Error) that lead me to that conclusion, though I find it very frustrating that something like a motherboard in a quality product would die of 10 months use, and in the NZ & Auz you wont even get warranty MB issues...luckily I don't live down under.