PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft 2 G73JW Bad Tearing

RoCP
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I have had my ASUS G73JW computer for about 8 months now and I usually play about 2-3 hours of StarCraft 2 everyday. I put it on ultra graphics and ultra sounds (it's so intense, I love it and it handles it and was made for it and I made my decision a while ago to stick to ASUS RoG computers.) and I would always play online. Intense games such as Hero Attack and it stays around 20 fps. I did not overclock my computer and I use external speakers. I use a R.A.T mouse but I use the computer keyboard. So recently I would be playing StarCraft 2 for about 2 hours and during game play I would hear the terrifying noises of sound tearing and electronic farts as my music slows down and the video goes to 0 fps. People say I would be lagging. Also people said this is a widespread bug due to the combination of NVIDIA and AMD. I love how the box on my computer though had a StarCraft 2 advertisement sticker on it for the beta key like it was made to play the game. I know it's just advertising. Anyways this problem has deeply discouraged me to purchase further ASUS products if this keeps happening. It has happen 3 times so far. I have an internet with a ping of 18ms, download at 9.23 Mbps, and upload at 1.97Mbps. Does anyone know what is exactly causing this problem and how to fix it?

xeromist
08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
If this has only started recently then it would not be a hardware compatibility issue. It could be as simple as dust collecting inside. Do you have any temperature monitoring software installed? Does the chassis feel warmer than it used to? I know that may be hard to quantify but I would definitely recommend periodic cleaning with a can of air anyway just as preventative maintenance. Point the straw into the vents and give it a good blast. That should break loose any collected dust.

Other than that I would review your installed drivers. Have you changed any of the drivers recently? Even if it was a newer stable version there could potentially be issues. I would either revert to the older driver or make sure that everything gets updated to the most recent version to ensure optimal compatibility. Basically when manufacturers do stability testing with a new driver release they will usually test with the latest driver revisions from other companies; they don't test with older driver combinations. So there is a chance, albeit slim, that a new graphics driver with an old chipset driver could cause problems.

Another thing to check is the windows event log. Pay attention to the times that you have problems and see if anything shows up in the log for that timeframe. I mention this to people often because while it cannot solve a lot of problems it is an easy thing to check.

RoCP
08-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Well I never did ever dust it at all. Nor have I maintenance it at all. I just used it. Where can I find Windows event log and is there anything else I should know about maintaining a laptop?

xeromist
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Here's how to get to the event viewer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

Another periodic maintenance task would be defragmentation (unless you use an SSD, never defrag an SSD). That's just a general PC one though. Otherwise they are pretty low maintenance.