PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JX stutters after minutes of gameplay

Kylewendell
08-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me with this.

2 days ago, I noticed a slight video stuttering when I was playing Tera Online (around 30 minutes play time). I just brushed it off thinking that it might have to do with my internet connection. Just yesterday, the stuttering gets worst especially when I move the mouse fast to change map scenes. I tried loading Crysis 3 and I was able to play smoothly for around 10 minutes before it gets to the point that the game freezes up due to the severity of the stutter.

Installed utility to check GPU and CPU temp, both running at ~60 degC during stutters. My GPU firmware is 9.18.13.1183, and my BIOS firmware is 207 already. I already did reinstall my OS, still NO GO. I already remove and replace my two SODIMMS at the bottom just in case, still NO GO.

I really wanted to contact Asus Tech Support now, but I want to pick your brains guys before I'll go to them. What could be my issue, defective GPU maybe? BTW, I was having booting issues (will not boot after a long OFF state) with this laptop in like a week since I received it. But that booting issue disappeared without me knowing what's causing it.

I would appreciate any helpful reply from you guys. Cheers!

Regards,

Wendell

Kylewendell
08-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Anyone... :(

Flea0
08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Does it happen while running a looping benchmark like Heaven as well?

In any case, you should call ASUS anyway. They will 99% tell you to send it in for repairs without offering tech assistance over the phone, but it' worth a try.

DeltaActual
08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Yeah mate... I have no clue what's going on with your lappy either. Call tech support. Sorry.

Dream
08-19-2013, 01:51 AM
1193 released a few days ago for your graphics card via Asus. Install it and see if there is *any* difference. May help you narrow down the problem.

Kylewendell
08-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi guys, sorry for replying late.

Yeah, did try benchmarking it with Heaven but it didn't stutter and the results were OK. I did try running the laptop only on battery and played Tera, lowered the graphics, and I was able to play the game without stutter at all. Tried Crysis 3 on battery at lower setting and it didn't stutter too. I plugged in my power supply while Crysis 3 is running, works fine for about a minute before it starts to do stuttering again.

Suspecting that my power supply might be defective, measured it with a multimeter and it fluctuates from around 18.8V to around 21.3V. Could it be the cause of my game stuttering? Could it be the that my laptop switches from battery mode (less performance) to plugged in mode (max performance) internally or something? Do you guys have the same voltage fluctuations on your power supply as well? The laptop charges my battery fine by the way.

Power supply model: FA180PM111
Output voltage: 19.5V
Output current: 9.23A

I really wanted to call Asus Tech support, but I will not have that chance before Monday next week.

Hope to hear feedbacks from you guys.

Cheers!

Flea0
08-23-2013, 02:51 PM
well, what happens if you try to game with the battery removed?

Kylewendell
08-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Guys, does your power supply fluctuate as well? Or it stays at ~19.5V steadily? I needed this info for my chat with an Asus Tech tomorrow. =)

Kylewendell
08-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Voltage reading... Anyone... Please... =)

Maxter
08-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Mine stutters during game every 20-30 mins as well. I installed FRAPS and I noticed during Far Cry 3 that FPS went from 60 to 20 while stuttering... I noticed that the harddrive was working like crazy during this. After 20 seconds or so, HD stopped intense workout and FPS went back to 60. This happened twice during my hour of gaming yesterday. This wasn't happening last week... weird...

Kylewendell
08-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi Maxter, were you able to measure if your power supply's output voltage is fluctuating as well? I already had my power supply check by an Asus Service Center and they confirmed it defective. I didn't have them checked my laptop though. If after I have my power supply changed and I still have stuttering issues, I will send my laptop for RMA.

By the way, did you install these games on the HDD instead of the SSD?

Cheers!

Maxter
08-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi Maxter, were you able to measure if your power supply's output voltage is fluctuating as well? I already had my power supply check by an Asus Service Center and they confirmed it defective. I didn't have them checked my laptop though. If after I have my power supply changed and I still have stuttering issues, I will send my laptop for RMA.

By the way, did you install these games on the HDD instead of the SSD?

Cheers!

i haven't checked for output voltage... Don't have the tools for it. :( I installed in HDD. I think it has to do with disk overload/overuse. I am going to shut off the indexing service, which usually overworks the HDD, and see what happens (such a useless POS since XP times...)

Rixster
10-20-2013, 02:48 AM
I have the same problem. Did you get it fixed?
I use Razer's Gamebooster to turn off all unneeded windows processes. I have also tried moving the game to the SDD drive.

Let me know.

agierczyk
10-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Same problem here