PDA

View Full Version : A non computer savvy's upgrade experience

rex450se
08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Probable being in the minority here as someone who isn't the most computer savvy I thought I would give my experience to those looking to upgrade but are a little intimidated and stumble on this site. I purchased the G750JX-RB71 with the 750GB hard drive and 12GB of ram. While that is probably overkill as it is for my needs, I wanted more. I am familiar with a computer and am an old timer when it comes to rooting or jailbreaking phones. But I've never gotten into the hardware side of things. I wasknow I wanted to upgrade the ram, because I could. And add an SSD for the OS and move the hard drive to the second bay for the added storage. I will admit that I didn't change the ram under the keyboard. I wanted to keep my warranty in place, both with Asus and the 3 year one I bought from the retailer. So I had Micro Center do that, and for $30 I think I would have had them do it besides the warranty issue because my time is worth that. While the hard drive replacement wasn't physically hard, I was intimidated by doing it. After some research both here and elsewhere I decided on the Samsung 840 Pro in 512GB. That was the easy part. The next thing, and where I was really worried, was whether I was going to migrate the drive over using Samsung's software, use the Asus Backtracker, or do a clean install of Windows 8. I decided to go the route of the Asus Backtracker. After downloading the program and making a bootable USB I removed the existing 750GB hard drive and installed the Samsung SSD in the same bay. I inserted the USB and turned the computer on. It brought up the Backtracker program and loaded everything. The only problem I had was that it made a 20Gb recovery partition. After a little Googling I had that deleted and all the space on the SSD was mine. I deleted the recovery partition since I have the USB to restore the computer if I ever needed to. After loading everything how I wanted it I figured now I can put the 750Gb back in the other side to use as large storage for my media files. I installed it and used the command line to delete all the partitions on that drive and then format it. I now have the SSD for my most used programs and the OS and the 750Gb hard drive for all my music and movies. I am glad I attempted to do it myself and it wasn't that difficult. If you are thinking of doing it, do it. It is worth is and super easy. I know most of this is probably done by you guys without a second thought. But for some of us it isn't second nature. I am glad there are forums like this to help people like me get through these hurdles and do things we wouldn't otherwise ever think of tackling. So for those that unknowingly helped, thanks.

Victor

abeepak1
08-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Thank you very much, this is very informative. Believe it or not, despite being mediocre and somewhat proficient at the hardware side of things along with the software side in general, I am afraid, yes afraid, to mess with the recovery much less migrate the files onto a USB drive. For me, I've had windows fail on me that much more times than a hardware failure, even with overclocking accounted for. Personally I'd be more comfortable replacing those rams. Hearing that it is a easy operation to pull off is reassuring. Perhaps I could ask for your advice in the near future? Again, thanks for the post and hopefully this will be reassuring, as it was for me, to whom may be intruiged to approach similar tasks.

DeltaActual
08-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks Viktor. Now, if you can only put links here, for removing 20GB hidden partition, and commands for deleting, and formatting second HD ....

rex450se
08-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks Viktor. Now, if you can only put links here, for removing 20GB hidden partition, and commands for deleting, and formatting second HD ....

Here's the video I used to delete the recovery partition on the ssd. After deleting it I used disk management to extend the current volume. I also used these same steps to delete all the partitions on the 750Gb hard drive and then used disk management to make 1 big partition and format it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUDiRSvZMI

rex450se
08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Thank you very much, this is very informative. Believe it or not, despite being mediocre and somewhat proficient at the hardware side of things along with the software side in general, I am afraid, yes afraid, to mess with the recovery much less migrate the files onto a USB drive. For me, I've had windows fail on me that much more times than a hardware failure, even with overclocking accounted for. Personally I'd be more comfortable replacing those rams. Hearing that it is a easy operation to pull off is reassuring. Perhaps I could ask for your advice in the near future? Again, thanks for the post and hopefully this will be reassuring, as it was for me, to whom may be intruiged to approach similar tasks.

As long as you have that recovery USB I wouldn't be afraid of deleting the partition. Feel free to ask for my advice, and I'll help as much as I can, however little it may be.

Victor

DeltaActual
08-19-2013, 12:09 PM
+rep Victor

villiansv
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
... If you are thinking of doing it, do it. It is worth is and super easy. I know most of this is probably done by you guys without a second thought. But for some of us it isn't second nature. I am glad there are forums like this to help people like me get through these hurdles and do things we wouldn't otherwise ever think of tackling. So for those that unknowingly helped, thanks.

Victor

Everyone who claims this is 2nd nature to them started out as you did. Well done!