PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-RS72 - dies while gaming

d_kazakoff
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I have had my laptop for over 1 year, and have the extended global warranty. I've been having a problem with my G75VW-RS72 since I bought it, but it is very hard to reproduce. Once it starts happening, it is repeatable, but when I take it up to the Asus Service Center and try to reproduce it there, it suddenly stops happening. Obviously during transport something jiggles in/out of place and the issue "goes away" - the Technicians at Asus can't seem to reproduce the problem, even though they run the Asus diagnostics. I wonder if there is anyone else having similar problems.

This problem began a year ago with Skyrim. I would be playing, and then my laptop would simply stop operating- it would simply go into a power-off state. When I would then press the power button, I would see the "Windows error recovery" message: "Windows did not shutdown successfully... Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Networking; Safe Mode with Command Prompt; Start Windows normally". It is as if someone pulled the battery out of the laptop while I was playing - a complete loss of power. Sometimes, I could just press on the chasis 2cm right of the touchpad, and it would cause the same loss of power, and I could repeat this 3 or 4 times in a row. I have produced a few Youtube videos that show the problem clearly. Have a look at:

http://youtu.be/6WS_kwsTLqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5PKO8V18rA

At this point in the past, I would pack it up and take it up to the Asus Service Center. I thought maybe it was an overheat mechanism gone faulty, and I had the laptop into Asus Service Center 3 times, but they cannot reproduce the problem at their offices, so they have not taken any steps to repair. They have twice run a set of system diagnostic tests, and tell me there is nothing wrong.

rewben
08-20-2013, 01:47 AM
hi @d_kazakoff, i suspect it's due to the high temperatures of cpu/gpu. can you please try running hwinfo64 in sensor only mode, then play your games for at least half an hour. after that go to hwinfo64 and check the temperatures (cpu/gpu).

you might want to do a cleanup for your fans and fins and try again.

d_kazakoff
08-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Hi Rewben, we all thought the same might be true, but this is happening in an A/C controlled room, the laptop is on top of a laptop cooler, and it's happening now even when it has been off for several hours. I'm going to edit the post, and put in a few Youtube links so you can see exactly whats happening.

d_kazakoff
08-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Youtube videos posted above.

the-osiris
08-22-2013, 02:00 AM
watched your youtube.
looks like hardware faulty to me, seems like when you press that area you've mentioned above - will bend motherboard and causing power-off state.
I've check some disassembly pics of G75VW and there's only HDD bay (and it's connectors) under the area you've pressed, but excessive force may bend motherboard under the keyboard and it makes power-off state.

d_kazakoff
08-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Agreed, and it also happens at times when I don't even touch it. I just uploaded another video ending 270 demonstrating it. I've contacted Asus Support, and I'm taking it again (for the 3rd time) to the Support Center in Bangkok, and hopefully this time either they fix the issue, or exchange the laptop.

d_kazakoff
09-01-2013, 03:49 AM
When Asus Support Center replace a motherboard on a G75vw, does that include a replacement of the GPU/graphics unit?