PDA

View Full Version : Asus Driver Support Curiosity

Draetor24
08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, I've always noticed with Asus drivers, that there are some with the latest version #, but an old date. Then there are some with an earlier version #, a new date, and at the top of the list when searching.

Does this mean we should go back latest date and the top most driver? Or grab the one with the later version # below it?

Chino
08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Grab the one with the latest version.

cl-Albert
08-19-2013, 10:58 PM
You may want to include a link (or screenshot?) if necessary, but normally with the approved drivers the latest versions will have the most recent posted date (that date is when the driver was posted to the website) as in the ASUS G750Jw downloads (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JW&p=3&s=521) (let me know if you see any drivers that don't agree with what I just said since I didn't check them all).

If you are talking about the ASUS 'unapproved'/somewhat-secret driver downloads (if you search by 'vga', instead of by your notebook model, some of those drivers likely have not been approved for you model if you didn't already know), you can sometimes see older driver versions posted more recently as you just mentioned.
Honestly, I don't know the reason for this, but we were guessing that there could be some older driver builds that have newer updates being considered as driver release candidates (If you see some problems after updating to the latest approved driver, you may want to try an unapproved updated 'older' driver version if this makes any sense, but I'm just guessing here).

You may not want to try any unapproved driver versions unless you are trying to solve an issue that the latest approved drivers don't solve.