PDA

View Full Version : How do I get to the menu that lets me select a boot device, want to reinstall windows

MooMooCow
08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
So i have Win 9 x64 on a stick, want to install it fresh, because for some odd reason when I'm playing DayZ Origins with my friends my mouse pointer goes nuts in the game and its menus, I have tried changing drivers and turning the touchpad off but it isn't helping, and I know the mouse is good, so it must be some piece of software asus included on the machine that's causing this,

please help fast o.o I am a server admin for Origins and so as you can imagine I am often needed to mediate disputes between my server's patrons and such >.<

also don't know if it matters but I got this from best buy just today, the laptop I mean

MooMooCow
08-20-2013, 12:14 PM
im getting the boot menu now but the only option there is to boot into the already installed os, its like it's not seeing my usb stick

Dr4g0n36
08-21-2013, 08:56 AM
If you still want to boot from USB sticks that arent Backtracker devices (for example Linux live distributions), you have to enter in BIOS option, deselect SECURE BOOT under security tab and FAST BOOT under boot tab. Then, restart, enter in BIOS option for second time and under boot menů will be available "CSM" select it and the machine will boot normally like every 10 y.o. PC

coolsbrah
08-21-2013, 09:26 AM
I also had to figure this out, but I want to know why do this motherboard goes to so much hassle in order to get to boot from other devices like its really a pain, all of this deselecting options I dont know what they do. secure boot? fast boot?

Also when I activate fast boot, I cant even select which hard drive to prioritize does anyone know? I want to keep fast boot activated

Dr4g0n36
08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
ok, try to better explain:

CSM is the "old" boot mode, the raw initialization sequence of devices.

FAST BOOT is a "new" option that skip initialization of some components and initialize other components together, trying to search only bootable disk instead of loading all 32 disks that you may have connected.

SECURE BOOT is an option that is "linked" with Windows 8 OS partitions, specially when you have GPT disks. It help to manage security Keys between OS, HDD and BIOS, and reduce drastically boot time inserting BIOS actions directly under Windows 8 Boot, fusing them together.

This options are globally adopted by all motherboard manufacturers but, if you think that we are talking of a notebook, ASUS chose to pre-load some settings due to the very low capacity to modify this ecosystem (in fact, you can only change HDD's and eventually RAM's modules, pieces that doesn't affect that presets).

I'm sorry if you doesn't have understood, but writing all in english (i'm Italian) it's quite dificult sometimes, especially for technical things :D (and that's why I don't wrote the perfect description, but only the "necessary")

coolsbrah
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
hey that was really good, thank you for that. appreciated.

I do have one more question though, how can I activate fast boot and have windows boot my desired drive? for example: I activate fast boot and windows automatically boots from "F:", which is NOT the one with windows. Instead I want it to boot "C:" first. It always boots the drive I dont want it to boot and since "F:" does not have windows installed it just goes to windows repair its really anoying. I hope you understand and can help me