PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning g750

chilow
08-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Is there a safe way of cleaning the keyboard and palm area? I searched google and most people recommended a 1:1 rubbing alcohol and water on a paper towel to wipe the area down. However, I noticed the palm area on the g750 has a different material than other laptops I've used in the past and just want to make sure it won't damage it long term.

Is there a way to avoid oil/grease spots from getting on the laptop in the first place? I usually clean my hands with hand sanitizer before touching the laptop, but it seems this one attracts more than usual.

Thanks!

iweber95
08-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Using compressed air is always a good way to clean your keyboard. Also there is really no way to avoid making fingerprints on the keyboard :( that's why a little rag came with that laptop :P

chilow
08-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Using compressed air is always a good way to clean your keyboard. Also there is really no way to avoid making fingerprints on the keyboard :( that's why a little rag came with that laptop :P

I didn't get a rag ...

Prostar Computer
08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Microfiber cloths do a decent job. You can apply a small amount of water to them too and it should help quite a bit.

Fred@Asus
08-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Microfiber cloths do a decent job. You can apply a small amount of water to them too and it should help quite a bit.

As Prostar Computer suggest microfiber would be the way to go. Compressed air is good too.

Musicmatters
08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Someone in a thread here recommended those moist towelettes you get with messy meals from restaurants.
They do a great job of removing fingerprints and oils from the exterior, and can be used with caution on the palmrest and keyboard area too.
I always take some home from a restaurant I eat at frequently and stash them in my laptop bag.

Draetor24
08-21-2013, 10:46 PM
I use isopropyl alcohol rubbing pads at work (you know like those moist towelettes Musicmatters mentions), but for rubbing on skin to remove oil, fingerprints, dirt/grime, etc. It absorbs almost immediately, but I would be very cautious about using it over any opening like a keyboard. It's great for the chassis of a laptop though.

Whiteouttx
08-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I made the same thread and I was told the wipes from restaurants are perfect. Mostly wing restaurants have them. I have been using the wipes ever since and it works perfectly! The dust/hair and whatever is probably best as a mix of the microfiber and compressed air.

chilow
08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll give them a try.

chilow
08-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Just a thought, are CLOROX disinfecting wipes safe to use? I found some that "fights kitchen grease" I'm assuming if it's good enough on kitchen grease, it should work well for oils from fingers or smudges.

Myroslav
08-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Jesus christ. Just use acid...

xeromist
08-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Just a thought, are CLOROX disinfecting wipes safe to use? I found some that "fights kitchen grease" I'm assuming if it's good enough on kitchen grease, it should work well for oils from fingers or smudges.

It will clean it but I would check the label to see if it is safe to use on plastics. As a kitchen clean up solution it's going to be much more harsh than a wing wipe.

Alternatively you could test it on a small spot on the bottom or somewhere else it won't be noticed. See if it causes fading.

xeromist
08-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Jesus christ. Just use acid...

It's a legitimate question. Keyboards have been tested and found to be some of the dirtiest surfaces you'd be exposed to in an office environment...dirtier than most toilet seats. I'm not a germaphobe but I did buy some of that electronics cleaning slime to at least get some of the grime out, looks much better.

Flea0
08-30-2013, 04:42 PM
a slightly relevant question...does anyone know whether the aluminium on the palmrest is painted or anodyzed? my Envy 15 had painted magnesium and the paint started to come off after a couple years where I put my hands.

Prophet968
12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I too had this problem with a HP pavilion (The dark ages), I believe this is anodized. I have no experience or idea what this even means, though I do know that under hardcore use it has yet to chip.

pscza
12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I vacuum my keyboard (on low suction) with a soft bristle nozzle, followed by a wipe with a good quality microfibre cloth, I am somewhat OCD with my hand washing regime so I generally don't leave too much skin oil on the surface ;) .

I find that compressed air tends to move the dust past the keys and onto other surfaces.

reka121402
12-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Just don't use isoprophyl alcohol on the screen casing, I did on mine and it took the finish right off, now I have what look like dirty streaks all around my screen and it looks horrible.

And before someone tells me I did it wrong, it was 90% isoprophyl (yes I know 70 exists) mixed 1:1 with water, it was also used at the same time on the keyboard keys, screen, and outer casing, it was only on the screen side that faces me that got messed up.

Now I just use Sprayway glass cleaner on a microfiber rag and it works great.

TruthWalker
08-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Hmm. I was just thinking, why not coat the G750 with a thin layer of mineral oil? Since it wants to absorb oil, give it what it wants. Mineral oil will not mold and fingerprints will no longer stand out. One careful application of mineral oil would take much less time than trying to remove fingerprints and worrying about how clean your hands are. Brilliant or stupid?

I also ordered this keyboard protector. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIFFBOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
...and this laptop skin. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SOZHWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
While I'm waiting for my G750JZ XS72 to arrive. Very excity!

xeromist
08-27-2014, 04:06 PM
That's an interesting idea but I have no idea if it's a good one. Seems like no matter how sparingly you applied it and wiped it off you still might get transfer to other things like your clothing and it would tend to attract dirt.

LEGIN27
09-02-2014, 02:17 AM
@TruthWalker, Did you get that G750 AMAZON keyboard protector yet? If so can you give us (me) your post purchase opinion of this item with a pic. I've been eyeing that cover as well for some time and just had my doubts as the pic on the AMAZON site didn't appear to be a good fit. Thanx.

Hmm. I was just thinking, why not coat the G750 with a thin layer of mineral oil? Since it wants to absorb oil, give it what it wants. Mineral oil will not mold and fingerprints will no longer stand out. One careful application of mineral oil would take much less time than trying to remove fingerprints and worrying about how clean your hands are. Brilliant or stupid?

I also ordered this keyboard protector. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIFFBOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
...and this laptop skin. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SOZHWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
While I'm waiting for my G750JZ XS72 to arrive. Very excity!