PDA

View Full Version : Need to drop the price

skywalker311
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I know that the new Raidr Express use the pci express lane and that it has all that cool software and the cool rog look to it. Come on $350! I was ready to get it until I saw the price tag. I would rather go with a Samsung 840 pro or the new EVO. For the price that you pay for the Raidr Express you can get the new 500GB Samsung 840 EVO. Come on ASUS and do the right thing and drop the price!:mad:

HiVizMan
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I sort of know what you are saying, I love the Samsungs and use them pretty much exclusively - testing out a 960 Crucial M5 currently. But the Raidr is not a ssd, or at least not in the way that a single ssd is a ssd.

840MB reads, 810MB writes on a PCie device. So two SSDs and a controller for $350 is not too bad. Go have a look at some of the LSI raid controllers mate and you will be amazed at how pricy they are, now toss into the mix a couple of 280 SSD's and you end up with quite a dent in the wallet.

But yeah I agree I would like the price to come down too. :)

jsarver
08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
the ocz revo drive is anywhere from 500 to 650 for 240gigs...i think asus has done some good pricing. now would i like to see it less...well of course but in all reality it is aggressive pricing.

Chino
08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Like all things in electronics, the price will go down eventually. The big question is: Do you have the patience to wait?

Menthol
08-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Like Viz says considering what you get the price really is quit good, better than I thought it was going to be, I am looking forward to seeing a Realbench run on one of these, I am trying to justify buying one just for that, something about being the first one to post a benchmark with new hardware that is hard to resist :)
Viz what do you think one of these with multiple partitions for different OS's for benching?
Talk me down please

Jim-M4EZ
08-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Newegg / RAIDR : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820785002&Tpk=asus%20raidr ... $350

... yesterday (08/21/13) the RAIDR could have been had for $325, with the egg's one day $25 promo code ... ;)

HiVizMan
08-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Menthol since the drive is a AHCI driver it will work a treat for single card benching and 2D too I think. The trick is going to be when you do your dual or multi card benching.

skywalker311
08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
I hear what you guys are saying . I think $250 would have been a great starter price for the 250GB version. Which is the only one out at the moment.
It like graphic cards to. I've watch them go up and up on there prices each time they come out with a new one. It jump a good bit this time. when the 500 series came out they were the same as the top 400 series. Then the 600 series came out and it was just a tad higher, which is normal.
But now the 700 series is crazy. When the 780 came out it was almost $700 which just last year the 600 series was $500 to $560 when they came out. Just saying.

HiVizMan
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Titan was $1000 + mate.

Folks paid it. So why should they cut back on prices. I do agree nVid are crazy with their pricing. BUT wait the new AMD card is very very near and lads I can promise you it is a beast and will clean up across the board.

Hatross
08-30-2013, 06:28 PM
i wouldn't mind getting one cheaper than newegg or amazon... I ended up getting some crap PCIe ssd (well kinda) off of a family member and I though it was going to be the Mushkin Scorpion PCIe ssd, but it is actually what he was after and why he was selling his older OCZ.

the smallest Mushkin PCIe ssd (240GB) with upgradeable and removable chips is about $550 from the ram experts, some of the only people stocking them at the time.

the RaidR being $200 cheaper is looking really appealing to me, I've been looking at what specs I can find for comparison even though here isn't many on either (tech channel and youtube wise) but the Mushkin is 8X and th RaidR is 4X.

Hatross
08-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Like all things in electronics, the price will go down eventually. The big question is: Do you have the patience to wait?

it seems like on this train (enthusiast tech products) the only time prices come down beyond a $20 reduction is when a new product which takes its place is announced or hits the market... then you're wanting the new improved specs and speed :D

raidr is priced good imo, dual sandforce ect, I really wish it had those removable or upgradeable chips though, it would be sitting here right now haha.