PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Backtracker Issue

SHADO
08-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Trying to backup factory image.

Says, "Creating Boot Sector." Then I get a message that says,

"Creating image error

Interrupt when create image: exception when access USB device.
1. Please make sure that USB device and laptop are connected when create image.
2. Please check your USB device can work well."

Any ideas? Using a brand new 16GB thumb drive.

ASUS G75VW running Win 8.

Clintlgm
08-22-2013, 02:29 AM
I don't know about back tracker but is your USB formatted fat32? since your system is UEFI that might be the reason your system is not seeing the USB device?

SHADO
08-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Yes, it is formatted fat32. I'll admit that I don't know what UEFI is. Not sure I understand how the system isn't seeing my thumbdrive though, as Backtracker shows the available plugged in storage devices (both a 128GB SD card and my 16GB thumbdrive), and asks me to choose one for the backup. Could the problem be that because my G75 is a refurbed unit, and has no recovery partition (as ASUS wipes the recovery partition on refurbs)?

the-osiris
08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Can you check what's in your HDD partition via Control Panel - Administrative Tool - Computer Management - Disk Management ?
Mine showing as follows :
- 300mb EFI System partition (no drive letter)
- 601mb Recovery partition (no drive letter)
- System partition (Win8 - as drive C)
- Data partition (as drive D)
- 19.88Gb Recovery partition (contains install.wim - no drive letter)
although windows report as free space, actually it has recovery data in it (the first two partition, and the last one)

You may check those partitions first to see that the recovery partitions is intact.

SHADO
08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Mine shows:

300MB EFI System Partition (no drive letter)
600MB OEM Partition (no drive letter)
197.95GB Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition (C) OS
712.55GB Primary Partition (D) Data
20.01GB OEM Partition (no drive letter)

cl-Albert
08-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Yes, it is formatted fat32. I'll admit that I don't know what UEFI is. Not sure I understand how the system isn't seeing my thumbdrive though, as Backtracker shows the available plugged in storage devices (both a 128GB SD card and my 16GB thumbdrive), and asks me to choose one for the backup. Could the problem be that because my G75 is a refurbed unit, and has no recovery partition (as ASUS wipes the recovery partition on refurbs)?

Not sure what exactly is wrong, but below are some things to try if you're interested.

1. You might try removing the 128GB SD card if possible in case this is confusing Backtracker.

2. Expect you don't have any problems copying files to your USB drive (you might want to try copying a large file to check), but is it a USB 3.0 drive and can you try plugging it into the USB ports on the other side of the unit?

3. Yes, if you don't have the original ASUS factory recovery image installed, don't expect it will work, but the error message should be different, so you may want to keep working on this in case I'm wrong.

Good luck!

SHADO
08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Not sure what exactly is wrong, but below are some things to try if you're interested.

1. You might try removing the 128GB SD card if possible in case this is confusing Backtracker.

2. Expect you don't have any problems copying files to your USB drive (you might want to try copying a large file to check), but is it a USB 3.0 drive and can you try plugging it into the USB ports on the other side of the unit?

3. Yes, if you don't have the original ASUS factory recovery image installed, don't expect it will work, but the error message should be different, so you may want to keep working on this in case I'm wrong.

Good luck!

1. Done. No change.

2. No problem copying large files to thumbdrive. Yes, 3.0, and tried ports on both sides of laptop. No change.

3. I forget where I read it (Newegg or here, probably), but yeah, supposedly ASUS wipes the recovery partition of all refurbs. I have no clue what the point of that would be, but then again, I'm no computer expert.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. :)

P.S. How would I go about finding out what IS on the recovery partition(s)?

teotwawki
08-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi SHADO. My G75Vw is a refurbished unit too, and I have the partitions said above:
- 300mb
- 600mb (which I shrinked to 450mb)
- C (OS)
- D (DATA)
- 20gb

I made a backup with backtracker in a USB 3.0 pendrive of 16GB. I repartition my disk (without touching the no letter units), so I lost the working operative system. Now, I could recover factory state with that pendrive, so in fact there is a recovery partition, although it's refurbished.

I'm not sure how to help you. Try pluging the pendrive in each USB port. Maybe one port is not working properly. Or do a checkdisk to the pendrive. Backtracker will use near 10gb of it.

To see what the recovery units have, I did this:
Download GParted from sourceforge, boot from it (I copied the CD to a pendrive and boot from the pen), and check off the flag of hidden attribute of the partitions you want to see. Restart your computer and you will see them in Windows.

Good luck.

the-osiris
08-24-2013, 02:23 AM
Download GParted from sourceforge, boot from it (I copied the CD to a pendrive and boot from the pen), and check off the flag of hidden attribute of the partitions you want to see. Restart your computer and you will see them in Windows.

don't forget to revert back to hidden,
any changes on recovery partition will damage it.

I found install.wim on 20g recovery partition (about 8gb size), this is the main win8 recovery installation.

SHADO
08-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi SHADO. My G75Vw is a refurbished unit too, and I have the partitions said above:
- 300mb
- 600mb (which I shrinked to 450mb)
- C (OS)
- D (DATA)
- 20gb

I made a backup with backtracker in a USB 3.0 pendrive of 16GB. I repartition my disk (without touching the no letter units), so I lost the working operative system. Now, I could recover factory state with that pendrive, so in fact there is a recovery partition, although it's refurbished.

I'm not sure how to help you. Try pluging the pendrive in each USB port. Maybe one port is not working properly. Or do a checkdisk to the pendrive. Backtracker will use near 10gb of it.

Good luck.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do I need to do in BIOS to get my system to boot from the thumbdrive? Thanks!

Clintlgm
08-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Disable safe boot, enable CSM

GottiBoi55
08-24-2013, 05:31 PM
I just created a Win8 boot USB 8g drive! (BTW only needed 4gs of the drive in my case for a "clean install" of W8)
To assure your drive will boot you need to wipe clean the drive of any launch, or security software that may be installed on it!
(Password protection software, and so on)
All that small little software programs that are pre installed on the thrum drive will block the drive from booting.
Everyone else have covered all the other bases on formatting in Fat32, and disable safe boot, enable CSM

PS: I tried this and only after I moved all the pre installed software would the drive boot up!