PDA

View Full Version : Spilled coffee over keyboard. Please help. ASUS G75VW

SynergyDynamics
08-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Coffee was spilled over the entire left part of my ASUS G75VW keyboard.
A lot of the keys are incredibly sticky, and 5 or 6 of the keys are very unresponsive (although still work, but need to be pressed down with MUCH more pressure for them to actually work.)

This may have been a bad idea, but I sprayed a bit of "screen cleaner" type liquid over the keyboard and wiped it off with a dry towel. After that, the keys became a bit less sticky, but that only lasted for an hour or so. I guess that was probably evaporation or something rather.

TL;DR -
Spilled coffee over keyboard. Keys are sticky and unresponsive. What do I do? I'm very frustrated :(

Thanks in advance.

Zka17
08-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Well, that's an unfortunate event... but it happens...

What I would do is:
1. look for videos on youtube about how to take apart your laptop
2. based on the videos, removed your keyboard
3. wash it well with a little bit of detergent and rinse it very very well
4. rinse it throughly with distilled water
5. dry it - better to do it very carefully!!! just leave under a fan for 24 hours
6. assemble your laptop

Warning: if you don't have the skills to take apart your laptop, it's better to look for someone to do it for you! Or just look for a laptop service...

the-osiris
08-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Asus G75VW keyboard (and other brand also) has spilled protection, means that any spilled liquid on top of keyboard is practically save (but doesn't mean it always). You may see at this pic http://ocaholic.ch/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=24011 it shows that top side (keyboard side) is one big part that prevent any accidental spilled.
You may clean it by yourself by tearing down G75VW yourself but it will void your warranty, use alcohol to wipe, and let it dry for a minute - or go to Asus service centre to get proper handling.

Zygomorphic
08-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Merged the two threads, and moved to the appropriate sub forum. No problems, anyone, just collecting all the wisdom in on place, so we don't get stuff spread around. This way everyone helps in one place. :)

Clintlgm
08-23-2013, 03:23 PM
yes you need to get this cleaned up quickly coffee will cause havoc with your electronics progressively over time. Though cleaning disassembly required. Either yourself or Repair Station. You will void your warranty if you do it yourself