PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JX - Replacing HDD with Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD and clean install Win 8

shashidharga
08-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi friends,
I'm new to this forum. Yesterday got my G750 JX with 750 x 2 HDD. I've purchased Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Want to replace one HDD with SSD for OS. Want to clean install Win 8, the system come with preinstalled win 8. How can i clean install win 8 on SSD. Three months back i purchased Win 8 for HP notebook and due to problem in display i discarded the notebook and formatted the HDD and using as external HDD. Is it possible to install the same key on the Asus notebook from the image created by Asus Backtrack. What settings i've to make in BIOS to install win8. Why Intel Rapid Start Tecnology/ storage technology instslled on G750 JX. Any body pls give step by step procedure. Waiting for early reply.
Shashi

svansiclen
08-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi friends,
I'm new to this forum. Yesterday got my G750 JX with 750 x 2 HDD. I've purchased Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Want to replace one HDD with SSD for OS. Want to clesn install Win 8, the system come with preinstalled win 8. How can i clean install win 8 on SSD. Three months back i purchased Win 8 for HP notebook and due to problen in display i discarded the notebook and formatted the HDD and using as external HDD. Is it possible to install the same key on the Asus notebook. What settings i've to make to install win8. Why Intel Raid Start Tecnology/ storage technology instslled on G750 JX. Any body pls give step by step procedure. Waiting for early reply.
Shashi

1. So the key for the windows 8 installation is embedded in the bios. Use a retail cd (not the upgrade cd that is standard with the download upgrade key) It will install the standard version of windows 8 and license automatically. If you need to use YOUR pro key, you will need to get Microsoft involved and they will need to do a remote session and do some magic. Make sure you are fully patched up via windows update and have attempted at least once to use your pro key at least once, that way you get the free $99 support from MS because the legitimate key failed.

2. I did notice faster response using IRST over the Microsoft driver. YMMV

3. Do not use 1.5v ram( I may be spamming this point, but don't think it can be said enough times). It will corrupt your install and you will have to start over.

4. For drivers and software, strongly recommend not using the cd and downloading everything to a memory stick. Don't forget to remove rtkhdaud.dat from the config directory before installing the audio driver.

Regards

svansiclen
08-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah, well my guide is better... :)

shashidharga
08-24-2013, 02:52 AM
Thanx svansiclen and ibbi.
I've the windows 8 media got from the microsoft when i purchased the windows 8 upgrade and it has both 32 and 64 bit installation media. Shall i use this dvd to install windows. Please tell me is it necessary to install IRST. Is it necessary to format the SSD while installing windows. I quick formatted the SSD in windows explorer by connecting as an external HDD. 4 months back i've installed the ssd on Dell Inspiron 17R and cloned the os with Samsung migration software. After reboot the BIOS is not accessible and it started showing message "operating system not found". So I got te refund from Dell. I'm very much confused and in dilemma whether to change the hdd to ssd and install win8 or not. Please guide me.
Thanx once again,
Shashi

Thanx once again.

Gamebouncer
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm confused why people are asking how to re-install clean onto an SSD. I am waiting for my JH, but I am assuming you can create recovery disks of the factory original (as I have with every Asus and MSI laptop I have owned), then install direct from those created disks onto the blank SSD?
Unless people are trying to save space by not having a recovery partition being created on the the SSD?

derpcules
08-27-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm confused why people are asking how to re-install clean onto an SSD. I am waiting for my JH, but I am assuming you can create recovery disks of the factory original (as I have with every Asus and MSI laptop I have owned), then install direct from those created disks onto the blank SSD?
Unless people are trying to save space by not having a recovery partition being created on the the SSD?

You cant make a recovery disc no but you can use asus backtracker to make a recovery usb stick(16 gb).

If you want a recovery disc youre supposed to buy it separately now, you dont get one with the laptop.

You can also download an iso to make an install disc wich uses your serial key but that will be a clean install with none of the asus drivers or programs.

I know its mindboggling but thats just how it is.

Samsungs software will not be able to move your OS over to the sdd. It will say it worked but once you format the original drive windows 8 wont load fully even if youre booting off the ssd. Atleast it didnt work for me.

From what Ive read however you decide to install windows 8 onto the ssd you should physically rip out the other drive so the installer doesnt get confused or something.

Most of the selfinstalled ssd crowd go for win 7 because of these issues it seems.

Installing windows 7 is no different from any other computer, just pop the disc in.

Good luck!

Draetor24
08-28-2013, 12:28 AM
I've tried doing a clean install on my G750JH using these guides, but it doesn't seem to work. I've downloaded a Windows 8 Single Language OEM ISO and used Rufus to put it on a 16GB USB. During the Win8 install, I get an error telling me my product key will not work.

So I tried making the PID.txt file and adding my key which I exracted using Belarc Advisor. I put the PID.txt file in the sources directory of my USB key, and tried the install again. I get the same product key error message.

I guess we are tormented to stick with the Asus bloatware due to Windows 8 nightmares? If this keeps up, I'm going back to my Win 7 DVD install I guess. I just really wanted to give Win8 a try.

Draetor24
08-28-2013, 01:05 AM
So with further researching, it looks like my G750JH came with a Windows 8 Core installation, NOT single language like every single guide has been saying. For this, apparently, I need a Windows 8 MSDN Core ISO.

Does anyone know where I can find this ISO? Why did Microsoft and Asus make it so difficult to clean install an OS I paid for?