PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-DH71-CA Windows 8 unresponsive while using USB 3.0 hard drives

BackOrder
08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a G75VW-DH71-CA with its default install, installed few softwares, few updates. Windows 8 becomes unresponsive and slow when I use any USB 3.0 hard drives. I've used a 3 TB Seagate external drive and two 500 GB Seagate internal drives with a SIIG USB 3.0 braket. For example, merely typing while using these is a problem where it will be slow and skip letters.

Ian.

Clintlgm
08-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Sounds like perhaps you drawing to much power for the ports? Extra power is supplied to the forward right port try that, I use a powered USB 3 Hub. Other than that, you can update your chipset drivers to the latest, uninstall the USB 3 driver reboot a couple of times. then reinstall the usb 3 Win 8 has the usb 3 driver native.
If you have Asus charger plus installed you can uninstall it from control paned\program & features again reboot this might help unless you need that Charger plus option don't reinstall it. It seems to get corrupt every now and then requiring a uninstall and reinstall.
Also check with the manufacture of your external drives for firmware updates Several externals needed this updates to work reliably.

BackOrder
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks for getting back at me, Clintlgm.

I use independent power supplies for each hard drive. Looking at newest drivers turned out to be confusing because the versions are completely different from what is available on the manufacturers' websites (Asus and Intel). Particularly for "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" (6.2.9200.16628 on 2013-05-31) and "Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller" (9.3.0.1011 on 2011-08-26). I terminated USB Charger Plus process without any difference.

I'll look for updates on my external hard drive but two other disks are actually internal drives with a braket.

Any other suggestions?

Ian.

Clintlgm
08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Windows 8 uses the native MS usb 3 driver! Your internal drives have to have a USB 3 interface that interface will have firmware to work with usb 3. In my experience all external are not equal in usb 3. newer stuff should work. we had lots of problems a year ago as the USB 3 was just being implemented seriously.
You can Google this issue there plenty of information out there
I can't recommend chipset drivers as ASUS recommends to use their certified ones, however I'm running the latest from Intel with out issues, many others here are also!

Do you have any usb 3 devices that are actually working? like a thumb drive or 2.5" external drive?

BackOrder
08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
This is indeed informative.

Let my clarify that my problem is different from other threads in regard to USB 3.0. All my drives are working properly and at full speed. Further testing reveals that my problem might be while using a Logitech K360 wireless keyboard on a USB 2.0 transmitter and USB 3.0 hard drives. The user input is intermittently unresponsive with the wireless keyboard but the laptop keyboard is fine either way. I've had similar conflict happening with a Microsoft Touch mouse and ASUS ROG Gaming Mouse hid but disabling the software fixed it.

I can create a restoration point and install the Intel drivers. Though the problem might be entirely something else such as the keyboard driver.

Ian.

Clintlgm
08-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes its a known fact that Logitech doesn't play well with USB 3.0, some people don't have problems but if you look around most of the 3.0 hubs will state that it is a known fact that Logitech devices may not work. I would deal with Logitech perhaps they have solved these issues? I don't know I wasn't using any when I started up with USB 3.0 and knowing this I haven't purchased any either.

BackOrder
08-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for your help.

For future reference to those who have similar troubles, read the following: Wireless product not working properly when also using a USB 3.0 device (http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38032/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3NzM4NDAzNy9zaWQvdHRrcVRCeWw%3D) and Intel white paper USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference Impact on 2.4 GHz Wireless Devices (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.pdf) (PDF).

Ian.

Clintlgm
08-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Yea, and we have only USB 3 ports so were going to have leakage constantly from both sides of our NB. I haven't experienced this as I use my track pad mostly and I do have my external drives connected to a hub that is about 3' below the level of where my NB is most of the time. The only Bluetooth unit I use is a Game controller so far I haven't noticed any lag. Thanks for the links I really had no Idea about this and have added the info to my USB 3.0 folder.
A year ago USB 3.O was driving many of us crazy. Lots of disconnects during data transfers, incompatible devices. Issues quite similar to the first implication of USB. These NB seem to have some power issues things get flakey if too many devices get plugged in. So you would think that a powered port would supply enough power. Well not so all the current USB 3.0 hub require the 900ma supplied to each port or Pair of ports? So it seems to me that when you divide into 4 or more devices they start getting starved of power and will start disconnecting and reconnecting. My work around has been to just not connect more than 3 devices to my 4 port hub. I run any USB 2.0 devices off a hub connected to the left side of my notebook. and my USB 3.0 Hub is connected to the forward right side port that port has more power going to it through the Asus Charger plus for charging cell phone and tablet etc. It supplies power even with the NB shut down.
So based on the articles you linked you should have found your work around for your devices?

BackOrder
08-25-2013, 05:02 AM
So based on the articles you linked you should have found your work around for your devices?

I plugged USB 2.0 devices on one side of the laptop and USB 3.0 on the opposite side. Additionally, I used an anti-static bag on the internal hard drives that use a USB 3.0 bracket. It does the trick for me.

Your suggestion with a USB 3.0 hub is something I am considering.

Ian.

Clintlgm
08-25-2013, 01:31 PM
I have also found this right hand USB 3 extension (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C0PNJK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)cable very handy also its configured for the right hand side leading straight back. They also make Left hand ones too I use a USB 2 one on the left side. I mostly use my track pad but I'm left handed but still use a mouse on the right side.
The HDE Cables seem to be very well shielded. I have no way of testing this. High quality cable.