PDA

View Full Version : g46vw SATA is stuck on 1.5gb/s [SATA1 mode]

yulysia
08-25-2013, 08:55 AM
my msata is running on Sata 3 6.0gb/s and my secondary drive which is samsung 840 pro is stuck on SATA 1 which results in slow read and write. Anyone have any clue on whats causing this?

Zygomorphic
08-25-2013, 10:16 AM
The second SATA channel should be SATA II/III (3.0/6.0 gbps). I say II/III because I don't know which. I know that the Sandy Bridge chipsets had two SATA III ports, and the rest were SATA II. I would say to check the BIOS to make sure that you have SATA mode set as AHCI. Also, is your SSD rated to SATA III (dumb question, I know, but I have to ask)?

yulysia
08-25-2013, 04:57 PM
The second SATA channel should be SATA II/III (3.0/6.0 gbps). I say II/III because I don't know which. I know that the Sandy Bridge chipsets had two SATA III ports, and the rest were SATA II. I would say to check the BIOS to make sure that you have SATA mode set as AHCI. Also, is your SSD rated to SATA III (dumb question, I know, but I have to ask)?

The SSD is indeed SATA3 capable. Bios has it setup so it is on AHCI since clean install.

Zygomorphic
08-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Are you certain that it is running in SATA I mode (I.E. windows reporting it or something), or is it just a throughput rate? I don't know of many SSDs that can saturate the entire bandwidth of SATA III (6.0 Gbps=0.725 GB/s=~700 MB/s), so I would hesitate to say that it's running SATA I. Similar to the USB flash drives that are USB III speced, and yet have 20-40 MB/s read/writes.

yulysia
08-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Are you certain that it is running in SATA I mode (I.E. windows reporting it or something), or is it just a throughput rate? I don't know of many SSDs that can saturate the entire bandwidth of SATA III (6.0 Gbps=0.725 GB/s=~700 MB/s), so I would hesitate to say that it's running SATA I. Similar to the USB flash drives that are USB III speced, and yet have 20-40 MB/s read/writes.

ok.... this is odd. I disabled secure boot and fastboot and my SATA shows up 3.0gb/s now... WHAT GIVES?

but this is what I'm talking about http://imageshack.us/g/29/lhvg.png/

Zygomorphic
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Actually, it shows up 6 gb/s in the second image, if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Honestly, that is really weird, I can't say, since I wouldn't see why "Secure Boot" would trigger such a drastic change in performance. :confused:

Dr Tone
08-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Uinstall Intel Rapid Storage driver and use the default Windows AHCI driver.

When I use the Intel Rapid Storage driver on my Windows 8 G46VW I only get SATA 2 speeds out of my Samsung 840 Pro SSD. When I use the Windows AHCI driver I get full SATA 3 speeds.

Dr Tone
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Actually, it shows up 6 gb/s in the second image, if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Honestly, that is really weird, I can't say, since I wouldn't see why "Secure Boot" would trigger such a drastic change in performance. :confused:

Second image is the mSata.

rewben
08-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Uinstall Intel Rapid Storage driver and use the default Windows AHCI driver.

When I use the Intel Rapid Storage driver on my Windows 8 G46VW I only get SATA 2 speeds out of my Samsung 840 Pro SSD. When I use the Windows AHCI driver I get full SATA 3 speeds.

this is indeed very weird case :/ Samsung 840 pro should run in full sata 3 with the rapid storage driver (at least that's what happen in my g55)

yulysia
08-26-2013, 08:28 PM
this is indeed very weird case :/ Samsung 840 pro should run in full sata 3 with the rapid storage driver (at least that's what happen in my g55)

It is very weird. I'm curios if its possible to be fixed by bios update. I am using the newest off the website "version 210" and the problem is till there. Let me be specific on my current bios settings.

FASTBOOT DISABLED
SECURE BOOT DISABLE
CSM ENABLED

its a shame because I really enjoy the FASTBOOT and SECUREBOOT feature not only is it faster to boot it just seems seamless from my perspective since booting sequence goes from ROG logo than right into the OS.

I tried my 840pro lastnight and it was coming up as SATA6.0gb/s and it was blazing thru SSD benchmar tests as it should be.