PDA

View Full Version : Transferring OS from HDD to SSD issues [G750JX]

Zorigami
08-25-2013, 02:27 PM
So, I bought a brand new G750JX a few days ago. This came with the HDD with pre-installed windows (no disc), so I had no way to install it on my separate SSD. So, after trying many different things, we eventually created a backup USB drive copy of the OS on a 16gb flash drive. This went great, and the copy was made. The issue came when I took out the HDD, plugged in the SSD, and tried booting from the USB through the BIOS. Whenever I boot from the USB now, all I get is the Windows logo for about a minute, and then it gives me 2 options: "troubleshoot" and "shutdown". I was told that booting from the USB would install Windows on the SSD drive as it was the only hard drive in the computer, but all it is doing is going to that screen, and there aren't any options suiting my needs (that I can find) there, so I was just wondering, has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

rex450se
08-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I would reinstall the HDD and use Asus Backtracker to create a USB backup of your system. Then remove the HDD and install the SSD in the same spot and plug in the USB drive. Turn the computer on and it will run through the setup of installing that system image on your SSD. That's how I did it on my SSD and it went great and easy. Then I was able to format the HDD and place it in the second bay and I also removed the 20Gb recovery partition that it makes. As long as I don't lose that USB I can always use it to recovery my system.

Victor

Zorigami
08-25-2013, 05:10 PM
That's exactly what I was attempting to do, but it didn't work. :/ I described what happened in the first post.

rex450se
08-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Well you didn't specify that you used ASUS Backtracker so I had no idea how you made a back up. Also, you don't need to boot from the usb through BIOS. Just turn the computer on. It will see there is no OS on the drive and bring up ASUS Backtracker from the usb.

VIctor

Zorigami
08-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I may not have used ASUS backtracker then. I can't find it anywhere on the PC, where would I get that? (Yes, I googled it)

rex450se
08-25-2013, 05:49 PM
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS+Backtracker&p=3&s=480

Try that

rex450se
08-25-2013, 05:51 PM
So reinstall the original hard drive and download ASUS Backtracker from previous post. Run that and it will wipe the 16Gb usb and install the recovery on it. Turn off the laptop remove the old hard drive and replace with new ssd, plug in usb and turn on. It will do it's thing and you'll be up and running quickly.

Zorigami
08-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Alright, doing that.

EDIT: It's working great! Thanks for all the help.