PDA

View Full Version : SSD Brand: OCZ

MidMike30
08-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Just a quick post in terms of asking if OCZ technology is a good brand. I'm looking at a 120GB SSD of theirs and its a pretty good deal. Only $120.

Version: OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G Vertex Plus 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA II

let me know your thoughts.

Another quick question is if there is a way to check compatibility. I've read in some other posts that SSD just dont work or turn on because of compatibility issues.

Thanks,
Mike

Kipper
08-24-2011, 05:37 AM
What you are looking at is a first-generation Indilinx controller drive; Old technology. I have had to RMA two of them in the last year.

You can find the Vertex 2 which is based on the Sandforce controller which is a solid performer. You can find all kinds of tales of why you should stay away from OCZ because of failures but when you take into account that they are the worlds largest producer of SSDs then it makes since that they would have more failures. I can attest to the support support that comes with an OCZ product.

Now, if I were you I would go for either the Crucial M4 or the 300 or an Intel 510 series. I have yet to have a problem with the Intel's or the drives from Crucial.

Xempt
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm running a Vertex 2 -120Gb in my desktop (boot drive) and have had no issues so far. Still running on an older firmware but don't see any need to update works great for what I need and do.

Area 66
08-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Now, if I were you I would go for either the Crucial M4 or the 300 or an Intel 510 series. I have yet to have a problem with the Intel's or the drives from Crucial.

+1, Intel or Crutial

Mummy
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Newer version of this SF SSD has same issues as this one has + Freezing issue.
So looking at that point older is safer. Didnt see your pc's Spec's so dont konw what to say.:rolleyes:

Intel boards have some hope on both (old and new) SSD's. AMD dont get all the speed out of new SATA3 at least at RAID 0 (yet) configuration.:(
sry, my bad English :mad:
Cheers Mummy :cool:

Edit: Ooops. I was thining this was SF SSD. But looks like it isnt after all. So no idea if this has any problems. Sry if i miss leaded :(

Area 66
08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I may give a try to a Plextor next time.