PDA

View Full Version : ROG RealBench Chat and Comments

Pages : [1] 2

HiVizMan
08-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Please guys can we keep all the chat here in this section. Lets give it a try for a while and if it does not work I will combine the threads again.

The first post in the the new league thread is a worth one indeed. Samual you are the ROG real-bench kind dude no two ways about it.

884 --- samual --- 3770k --- 5252 --- 16g@2692 --- Maximus V Formula

nikosa43
08-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Unbelievable score Samual! That's a golden multitasking score mate. Congratulations, that's unbeatable :)

samual
08-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. I did not think 900 was attainable, but now I Think I have a shot.

LukeeVassallo
08-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Will run the test tomorrow and post results & images !

ganji
08-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Proper good score Samual, Good job! :D

meankeys
08-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Yeah Samy very nice... Your making me work here brother :)

F41LH34D
08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Any chance you could do a run with the 4770k and your memory below 1600MHz, samual?

meankeys
08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Hay Flex nice bench setup..... You mad scientist you.

meankeys
08-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Guy's anyone know of a guide that ex planes the asus bios settings in any sort of detail?

Thanks

F41LH34D
08-28-2013, 09:21 AM
meankeys, you mean for overclocking?

HiVizMan
08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Flexnl nice score you posted up mate, and I have updated the submissions thread to include some rules or guidelines

Arne Saknussemm
08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Samual! way to go..great score! :D

meankeys
08-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi F4

Yes overclocking. I found the Raja's thread everyone refers to so that's pretty good. I am trying to understand how the voltages and currents are controlled more so in the Digi section of the bios.

flexnl
08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Flexnl nice score you posted up mate, and I have updated the submissions thread to include some rules or guidelines
yess tnx man :) this realbench is addictive :)
its perfect for checkin out wich ram timings have effect and wich not so much...

also... i cant wait for the next challenge haha ;)

flexnl
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Hay Flex nice bench setup..... You mad scientist you.

haha tnx m8 :) im a mad dutchman waha :)

Crimsonomega
08-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey guys,

I was worrying about wether I was at my limits with Overclocking or not because of my own lack of knowledge, but I tweaked arround with just the BCLK and pushed the Voltage slightly up to 1.40 and there I was with my new PR 772. I smell room for more!

@ Flexnl amazing scores buddy keep it up.

meankeys
08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Crimson nice run buddy... keep pushing it. I see 800 on the horizon.

meankeys
08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Would memtweak screeny be ok instead of the cpuz memory screenshots. Just asking

HiVizMan
08-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Crimsonomega dude you are putting up some nice scores there. Which tweaks are you using at the minute?

flexnl
08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
tnx crimson...you 2...
im so jealous of your 5100 @ 1.4v i need 1.6v or something for that clocks :P
keep pushin :)

flexnl
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
i got new stock of coollab ultra in today and tomorrow i gonna lap my heatspreader
hope to shave off some C :)

Crimsonomega
08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Thats amazing man I wished I dare such stuff like that, but im to affraid to damage something!

@HiVizMan: I used these Tweaks for my latest Bench

AI Overclock - Manual
BCLK - 102.5
Ratio Sync Control - Enabled
Core Ratio - 50
PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
Extreme Tweaking - Enabled
Cpu Voltage - 1.40
Cpu Spread Spectrum - Disabled

Tab DIGI+:

Loadline Calibration - Extreme
Cpu voltage frequency - 500
Cpu current capability - 150%

I believe this is all really. please do tell if u see anything disturbing as I'm as u know very new to all this!

Regards,

Crimsonomega

HiVizMan
08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
The next thing you want to start looking at is your ram my friend. That will bring you some nice gains. Post up your memory tab from CPUz.

Oh and there is a ROG Realbench tweaking and benching guide that Myk set up. Go have a read I would expect you in the upper 780s quite soon.

nikosa43
08-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know what you guys, saying about Crimsonomega's scores. To tell the truth I don't even see them. I just need mirror sunglasses looking at his CPUz first page score. This chip delidded can only be compared to Menthol's chip and Vizman's 2700k. Watch and cry.

nikosa43
08-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Flex, grats for the updated pic of your benchtable :). I couldn't see it before. No Facebook for me. What's your plans with all this Coolabs mate? That's enough stuff to make a whole case silver :) .BTW great score for the clock. Super efficient.

Crimsonomega
08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't know what you guys, saying about Crimsonomega's scores. To tell the truth I don't even see them. I just need mirror sunglasses looking at his CPUz first page score. This chip delidded can only be compared to Menthol's chip and Vizman's 2700k. Watch and cry.

Hi Nikosa43,

What is it that's not clear for u? Cant u see my picture or? For me the picture is very clear and I can see anything thats on it! I will try and make better ones just incase then. What do u mean exactly with the delidded comparing thingie? ( sorry for asking)

@HiVizMan you are right I havent done much to nothing with my memory as I need to learn how to. I will read up as u mentioned thank u for that, very much appriciated!

meankeys
08-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Flex you are a mad scientist lol nice bench brother. Do you plan on using that coollabs on top of the cpu as well?. I was affrade it might mess up the mirror finish on my cpu block

nikosa43
08-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Flex you are a mad scientist lol nice bench brother. Do you plan on using that coollabs on top of the cpu as well?. I was affrade it might mess up the mirror finish on my cpu block No worries, about the mirror finish. You will gain some extra degrees minus. Get some fine sandpaper no 1500 - 2000. Stick it on glass surface and gently lap it on it. It will shine back as a mirror. ...but the copper color will have a permanent silver hue :).

nikosa43
08-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Crimson, you do everything fine. I was playing with words, you don't do anything wrong. I was just amazed of your CPU and how well it clocks with such low voltage. After that I look at myself, Flex or Samual and others, trying to cool down our toasters and I am convinced that God has a great sense of humor :D

Nodens
08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Random post so I can get updates on new posts:p

meankeys
08-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Way to Flex those muscles Flex

Nice run 826 @ 4987 nice!

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 05:56 AM
You're a madman Nikosa43 :P

Anyway wonderfull scores u got there Meankeys, I'm jealous!!!!

I will post my Memory for HiVizMan as requested ( my memory needs a closer look).

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 06:25 AM
As u can see I know little to nothing about tweaking my memory and actually I did basicly nothing to it with my latest Bench. By moving BCLK I gained about 72Mhz and thats it. I hope to hear what guys think of it.

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
You're a madman Nikosa43 :P Anyway wonderfull scores u got there Meankeys, I'm jealous!!!!I will post my Memory for HiVizMan as requested ( my memory needs a closer look).25623 lol, yes we all hide a madman inside :) Allow me to say a few things. Before you feel more comfortable with overclocking in general, do not use Extreme LLC, because it hides lots of drawbacks. Instead, use Ultra high. You may need a bit higher voltage than the one you use now but it's more safe. Do not push BCLK too much because it can easily make your system more unstable. Don't be jealous of the high scores you see. Jealousy is a very bad advisor and you can damage your system. First become familiar with a good clock that runs stable and with low temps and learn how to make all the tweaks that raise your score at that clock.Try to get your higher score at that clock and after that start to push your clocks higher with the tweaks you learned. The high scores will come in no time. Keep some notes of the things you do and how they affect the three different tests of the benchmark. Don't shoot here and there pushing your clocks just higher hoping for a high score. The only thing that you will have in the end, it will be, in best case scenario, a corrupted OS.

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Great scores Flex and Meankeys. Flex, the way you go you will brake 900 with a clock under 5.0G :)

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
lol, yes we all hide a madman inside :) Allow me to say a few things. Before you feel more comfortable with overclocking in general, do not use Extreme LLC, because it hides lots of drawbacks. Instead, use Ultra high. You may need a bit higher voltage than the one you use now but it's more safe. Do not push BCLK too much because it can easily make your system more unstable. Don't be jealous of the high scores you see. Jealousy is a very bad advisor and you can damage your system. First become familiar with a good clock that runs stable and with low temps and learn how to make all the tweaks that raise your score at that clock.Try to get your higher score at that clock and after that start to push your clocks higher with the tweaks you learned. The high scores will come in no time. Keep some notes of the things you do and how they affect the three different tests of the benchmark. Don't shoot here and there pushing your clocks just higher hoping for a high score. The only thing that you will have in the end, it will be, in best case scenario, a corrupted OS.

Cheers NIkosa,

I was indeed thinking of starting at 4,7Ghz and try to tune from there on at that clock. Cheers for the advice ones again.

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Good clock to start Crimsonomega. When you manage a score of around 780 at that clock, you will have 850 at around 5150.

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Btw what would u recommend to fine tune when reading my previous setup?

Chewitt
08-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Some epic scores since i was last on, congrats all.

So next week my water cooling arrives and with water cooling i think that i should be able to get a bit closer to that 4Ghz mark and possibly a 400 score, we will see :)

Nodens
08-30-2013, 09:15 AM
@Noobinator: You should benchmark with the power profile switched to High Performance. That way you won't downclock for that CPU-Z screenshot and gain a few points in the process. :) If you also want to push for scores, disable EIST/C-States entirely in the UEFI for your runs:)

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 09:27 AM
@Crimson that's good advice from Nodens. Stick with this for starting. @Nodens, lol, where did you find this Nooninator? That's hilarious :D

N00b1nat0r
08-30-2013, 10:44 AM
@Noobinator: You should benchmark with the power profile switched to High Performance. That way you won't downclock for that CPU-Z screenshot and gain a few points in the process. :) If you also want to push for scores, disable EIST/C-States entirely in the UEFI for your runs:)

Thanks, will do this tomorrow again and post my results, it did take 3 times to get the 610 score, the others were slightly below this...

@Crimson that's good advice from Nodens. Stick with this for starting. @Nodens, lol, where did you find this Nooninator? That's hilarious :D

Hi ;)

Nodens
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Hahaha I was not calling Crimson a noob lol (nor would I ever do anything like that). I was about talking about Noob1nat0r's submission as you must have found out by now :p

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Hahaha I was not calling Crimson a noob lol (nor would I ever do anything like that). I was about talking about Noob1nat0r's submission as you must have found out by now :p lol, I just realized what's going on and it's more hilarious :D. Sorry, Noobinator, it's the weird kind of humor I have (too many comics on my youth) :)

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 05:01 PM
OMG Nikosa how could u.....

btw I tuned some again with X.M.P profiles and less voltage ( yes even more less) im now on 1.37 got a score of 778. But i couldnt continue this afternoon so I will start tuning more till i reach 780 and then I will post up again !

BTW where can I find EIST/C-States?

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 05:13 PM
OMG Nikosa how could u.....btw I tuned some again with X.M.P profiles and less voltage ( yes even more less) im now on 1.37 got a score of 778. But i couldnt continue this afternoon so I will start tuning more till i reach 780 and then I will post up again ! BTW where can I find EIST/C-States? lol, yes I could :) and please don't give us any information about your Vcore :). You will find the settings under CPU configuration, in BIOS. You have to disable all the C states and EIST (Intel enhanced State...). Go for it :)

flexnl
08-30-2013, 06:54 PM
crimson ...do a prime 95 run and see what you really have :)

flexnl
08-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Way to Flex those muscles Flex

Nice run 826 @ 4987 nice!
tnx meankeys...and temps still going down as the new coollabultra is settling in
going to run tonmorrow morning 05:00 when its the coldest point of the day and try for 850 haha

flexnl
08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Flex, grats for the updated pic of your benchtable :). I couldn't see it before. No Facebook for me. What's your plans with all this Coolabs mate? That's enough stuff to make a whole case silver :) .BTW great score for the clock. Super efficient.

o well i will have enough for the next chip also :) and the next :)

flexnl
08-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Flex you are a mad scientist lol nice bench brother. Do you plan on using that coollabs on top of the cpu as well?. I was affrade it might mess up the mirror finish on my cpu block

i have it on the die and on the lid,not lapped yet, ..but gonna do that this week and i think i will do a thin layer coolab anyway.. we will see what is better

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 07:17 PM
i have it on the die and on the lid,not lapped yet, ..but gonna do that this week and i think i will do a thin layer coolab anyway.. we will see what is better Lap it on a glass surface to make it totally flat and use coolabs as a paint. You don't need big quantity.

flexnl
08-30-2013, 07:29 PM
yes just waiting voor sandpaper have ordered 1500 to 6000 :P

woulld polish disk on a dremel work also ?

Menthol
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Flexni,
This is something better done by hand as nik says, I have purchased lapping kits before that included a piece of glass and assorted wet/dry sandpaper, I lapped a Q6600 and Thermaltake heatsink with it, in the bathroom sink the water washes away the fine particles so they don't scratch the surface of what your lapping, of course if you plan on selling the cpu later it will look like a smooth brass/copper surface without identification makes

flexnl
08-30-2013, 08:10 PM
yes i thaught so..i will wait for the sandpaper then :)
and how did you do that just sand a little...wash clean..sand a little wash clean enz enz?
oh and i am not worried about selling ..as the lid is loose anyway :D

Crimsonomega
08-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Yoo Flex I made a prime run as u mentioned earlier, it seems i got a few errors as expected. Im also thinking of getting my last scores removed as im not sure if I was 100% stable at that time. I did a 4,9Ghz run with prime and that one was stable but after that it wasnt. It seems from there on that I need to fine tune everything much better.

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Flexy, do not use any Dremmel. You have to be patient with this to do a good job. First you can use a horizontal glass surface. You take a piece of sandpaper and using sticky tape you stick it on the glass. Then you sand to one direction from you and away or from away to you. Do not just scratch back and forth. Only one way with stable speed and try to use the same force pushing on the center. Count 5 - 6 times and rotate the heatspreader 90 degrees. Do another 5 - 6 times and rotate and so on. If you don't rotate there is a chance to have a perfectly flat surface but with inclination to one direction, meaning from North the height will be 2mm and to South or East 1.5mm. That means that your waterblock will not put the same force to all the surface evenly. That goes for the first sandpapers, the rough ones that will take out material and will make all the nickel dissapear. After that pure copper comes to the surface. Now you can use Menthol's way with water to remove the small particles. I have used that one but there is a drawback. The water oxidates the copper and before you apply coolabs the copper has a black or rusty surface which is not good for thermal transfer. Instead you can do something else but you have to use lots of sandpapers. With sands number 1500 and above you can stick them on the glass of your window. Again you sand from up to down or down to up. With a piece of cloth you take down all the particles from the sandpaper and your heatspreader. The vertical surface helps that most of the particles fall down so you don't need water. You have to change sandpapers continuously and almost not use the same surface again. By the end you have a perfect finish. You don't need to go up to 6000 and you need lots of patience. Good luck :)

nikosa43
08-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Crimson you don't have to remove your scores. By the time you did it, was ok. That's benching mate.

flexnl
08-31-2013, 12:51 AM
tnks nikosa my friend i will let you know how it turns out ! +rep

crimson m8 post up screenie :) what voltage was 49x stable? and temps?

and noo dont remove scores man...
benchin is benchin! :) if the run completes the score is valid stable cpu or not :)
for example @ hwbot if you can boot 5500mhz and can save cpuz validation and submit and right after that you get BSOD..then its unstable but valid submission :)
checkin stabiity is something totaly different :)
also...let the prime run for 12hours with no errors..then you can call it stable :)

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Hey Flex, thanks for rep mate! And remember. Do not try to lap the inside of the Heatspreader. It's impossible to make an even surface there. (As much as I wish to could do it also) :D

meankeys
08-31-2013, 01:43 AM
This is what I use for lapping the IHS

I use two fingers light pressure in a circular motion. I do 1 session dry then polish with a drop or two of water. I do use a glass surface. If you use a back and forth motion you will tend to slope the IHS. Mic it. Check out most lapping machines rotate the part in all directions.

Lapping paper

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Lapping-Film-261X-30-0-Micron-Sheet-8-50-in-x-11-in-50-per-inner-200-per-case?N=4294706641+5153906&&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSC2W626GBgs_WH738R3S69_N2RL3FH WVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d

Crimsonomega
08-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Question guys:

Is there any reason why I CAN'T sit outside this winter with my computer? I mean if the air is really dry I should be able to sit outside right? I was wondering if my Corsair H100i is made for this aswell, because if temps are below 0 Celsius will the liquid freeze or is it like a car which can normally handle temps arround minus 20 or even colder?

meankeys
08-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Well aside from freezing your nads off I think it would work. Just keep the pc running it should not freeze. I don't know what type of coolant there using or the specs. if you leave the pc off for any length of time the coolant may start to gel and freeze. It also may be tough to use the keyboard with gloves on lol

meankeys
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice run Noob

Way to go

Crimsonomega
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Well aside from freezing your nads off I think it would work. Just keep the pc running it should not freeze. I don't know what type of coolant there using or the specs. if you leave the pc off for any length of time the coolant may start to gel and freeze. It also may be tough to use the keyboard with gloves on lol

Maybe I should get my hands on one of the very first keyboards ever made. They were as big as a house, this means I can keep my gloves on atleast :D

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 12:17 PM
This is what I use for lapping the IHS25658I use two fingers light pressure in a circular motion. I do 1 session dry then polish with a drop or two of water. I do use a glass surface. If you use a back and forth motion you will tend to slope the IHS. Mic it. Check out most lapping machines rotate the part in all directions.Lapping paperhttp://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Lapping-Film-261X-30-0-Micron-Sheet-8-50-in-x-11-in-50-per-inner-200-per-case?N=4294706641+5153906&&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSC2W626GBgs_WH738R3S69_N2RL3FH WVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d You're right Meankeys 100%, but I used that method because of the material of the heatspreader underneath the Nickel. I lapped copper a few times, mostly copperbases from VGA coolers and never had this rusty surface I had with Intel's heatspreader. Maybe the material is a different alloy, but after I finished using water, I could see corrosion and not the usal shiny mirror finish. So, I had to think of something, because I didn't like the idea of oxidation between the two surfaces. Besides, coolabs was almost impossible to apply. BTW, nice lapping papers. 3M is the top quality brand for lots of things. I have no idea if I can find them locally.

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 12:20 PM
@ Crimsonimega, why don't you use a 10 meter HDMI cable and wireless keyboard and mouse?

meankeys
08-31-2013, 12:37 PM
You're right Meankeys 100%, but I used that method because of the material of the heatspreader underneath the Nickel. I lapped copper a few times, mostly copperbases from VGA coolers and never had this rusty surface I had with Intel's heatspreader. Maybe the material is a different alloy, but after I finished using water, I could see corrosion and not the usal shiny mirror finish. So, I had to think of something, because I didn't like the idea of oxidation between the two surfaces. Besides, coolabs was almost impossible to apply. BTW, nice lapping papers. 3M is the top quality brand for lots of things. I have no idea if I can find them locally.

Hi Nik
one thing I didnt mention after I lap the IHS I take a cloth with some WD40 and wipe the heat sink down to clean it. Then prep it for the tim. this prevent the oxidation. try it it works very well.

IM2L844
08-31-2013, 12:56 PM
It would be nice to see a couple of smart guys put together a comprehensive de-lidding/lapping thread/guide...with all the appropriate warnings, caveats and disclaimers, of course. There seems to be some disagreement across the web on things like IHS lapping vs. direct die and such.

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Nikone thing I didnt mention after I lap the IHS I take a cloth with some WD40 and wipe the heat sink down to clean it. Then prep it for the tim. this prevent the oxidation. try it it works very well. That's a good one! Thanks for the tip mate. I hated that rusty thing :D

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 01:11 PM
It would be nice to see a couple of smart guys put together a comprehensive de-lidding/lapping thread/guide...with all the appropriate warnings, caveats and disclaimers, of course. There seems to be some disagreement across the web on things like IHS lapping vs. direct die and such. Yes, I've read a lot of stuff and everyone has his rights. I go with what it works. And when it comes to coolabs you need mirror surfaces because it's applied as a paint. It's so thin that any surface it's not totally flat it doesn't make contact. Other TIMs because they applied in more thick layers can forgive some imperfections.

Myk SilentShadow
08-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Lapping and De-lidding are both great things to do, to further reduce temps...but they both come with one major drawback....you lose all rights to claim an RMA when the CPU's die. Of course regardless of where you read about doing either you have to remember one thing, just like with OCing any of your hardware and that is, your results may vary from what you have read/watched. Some people can get as much as a 10 Deg C drop from lapping, though I am not so sure on how far De-lidding takes the drops...yet. If you look in the Build logs Forum, Modder L3p has posted in his logs how he laps his CPU's...hell there is even a Lapping kit which can be bought online from Highflow.nl as for other places, I do not know.

nikosa43
08-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Myk, in my case drop of temps was around 25 - 30 degrees, meaning that with my cooler, which was and still is, a Noctua NH-D14, I couldn't go higher than 4.4 -4.5 Ghz. Now, about RMA and lapping... If someone had delidded his CPU and try to RMA, is like to try to RMA an opened can of beans, after he has eaten the beans. It can be done only by cheating, meaning to replace back the black silicon rubber gasket and pretend he has no idea what happened :D

N00b1nat0r
08-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Nice run Noob

Way to go

Thanks, might try later when its cooler as its hot here again

chrsplmr
09-01-2013, 12:46 AM
FX-GMC ... good one. Welcome to ROG and AMDside.c.

flexnl
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
really dont understand how it is, that other 3770ks run so much cooler the me... like meankeys or even nikosa on air (no offence :)
i run 1.58v and heat goes up to 103-104 C...They run 1.6 and go 70C HUHHHH :)...and they are running 1000mhz more 2...anyone can help clear this up 4 me ? or is it just that my chip sucks ass? :)

meankeys..nice run 828...was that with that aquarium thingy i read about? or just normal ?

Nodens
09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Dellidded and lapped chips is the no1 difference. Less distance between die and cooler block makes huge difference. Delidding and lapping would drop you to at least 80C which is inline with what Nikos is getting on air. Then it's the actual chip bins that matter..

flexnl
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
my chip is delidded
:P

meankeys
09-01-2013, 12:48 PM
my chip is delidded
:P

Hi Flex
I feel your pain. It's all about the cooling. What is your current cooling setup?. I am using 3 360 rads and fans. That alone keeps me under 90c at 100 % load @ 1.685v @ 5150MHz. If I ice up the cool can I get about 1 hour of testing in the 70c @ 1.725v (currently shooting for 5200 MHz) I would try re-seating your cooler and cpu. A bad mount will defiantly cause higher temps. I am currently building a rad mount and will be breaking down my setup to install the rads. I plan on trying coolabs liquid ultra under my cooler block as Nik suggested. I am hoping to drop a degree or 2. Be carefully as to what bios settings you use as not only voltage but some control the current applied to the cpu this also contributes to the heat. I know it frustrating man but that's what benching is all about brother hang in there.

flexnl
09-01-2013, 02:51 PM
yeah i have only 2x 240 rads 1 for cpu and 1 for gpu and coollab on die and on lid..and its not the reseating :) tried that about..hmmm 100 times haha but tnks for response :)
it would really be frustrating if i couldnt keep up with the points.. but that i can, strangely enough :) and i think i still can push to 850 maybe more

flexnl
09-01-2013, 02:53 PM
o yeah 1 more thing meankeys.. what was your ambient temp with your last submission? :D

nikosa43
09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Flexy, first is the characteristics of the chip. See what crimsonomega's chip can do. Then it's Nodens' saying. Lapping, distance and pressure applied to the chip. For this factor let's say I was lucky, because most of the times it's a lucky draw how much material take someone out and how much pressure the cooler applies. Finally it's the cooler and most important the ambient temperature. Using air or water you cannot go lower than ambient. That's a fact. The difference is that using water you have an advantage. This advantage is the thermal capacity of water. The biggest quantity you have (bigger rad), the more time you have to heat up all this water, so more time in low deltas with ambient. With Noctua and high clocks my cores go straight to high numbers and I can't keep it there for long time. That's why summertime I can't pass 5100. To cope with this I had to lower ambient to 16 degrees. I used a very small room with aircondition blowing on my case. For this clock also I had to replace the normal Noctua fans. I had one Noctua in the middle to 1500rpm and two Skythe Ultra Kaze 120x38mm, 3000rpm at the front and back in push-pull configuration. Also I had to reverse the two big fans of my HAF932. The top one instead of being an exhaust, now is blowing chill air inside and the 230mm of the side exhaust air outside, also helps with temps from GPU. Also I have an extra fan blowing chill air to the mosfets and memory and to the back of the board with open case another fan to blow cold air, to the back of CPU and mosfets. In BIOS I try not to use extreme settings and LLC is on Ultra High. That needs a bit higher Vcore than Extreme LLC but it runs a bit cooler and I feel more safe than Extreme. Again with all these, by the end of Encoding test my Cores are spiking to 89-90. Maybe I can do 5100 with a bit of throttling, but it's no point. It's already high enough and you have to know where to stop. I don't forget that this is my everyday PC also and I prefer to keep the money for a cooler upgrade and not to replace the same things. So, my friend, key element is ambient temp. Do something for this, or... wait for the winter :)

xmanrigger
09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow, great scores guys. It is amazing how scores are getting higher and higher. Remember when 800 was a feat? Sadly for me, I need a different CPU. My 3930K overclocks like a champ, but the IMC is limiting my memory clocking. For someone that was first to post an 830 score, I am getting left in the dust.

If I hadnt cooked my PC earlier this spring, I would have been able to 'justify' buying a C2 3930K and some big memory. Asit was, I had to spend a crapload of $$$ just to get my system back up and running. C1 3930K IMCs seem weak, and bigger odds against it in the IMC lottery.

Until I can get my hands on a different S2011 CPU, I think I will focus any RB scores on the 4-Core Intel category. I dont think I will get near the top score, but my initial submission with my son's i7-930 was for ****sngiggles. With that said, I have all kinds of room on that system to up my score. The clocks I used for that submission were simply a quick trip thru the BIOS to set a modest overclock on the CPU. No tweaking other than a stripped OS. Worst part is that I will have to re-learn S1366 overclock practices. I havnt messed with a S1366 in ages.

Again, congrats to all the great scores, big or small. And to Zka for that sick overclock and score.

nikosa43
09-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Hey xman, you can go with the new chips coming in a few days for 2011, IVY -E. That, I think will solve the IMC weakness and with 6 cores they will go like champs. For me sadly it's a very expensive platform :)

Nodens
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
There's no difference in the IMC between steppings. C1 or C2 won't make a difference it's still luck of the draw what you'll get so buying the same processor on a C2 stepping and expecting it to have a better IMC is not a smart move... it may have an even worse one.

Also I'm not sure if the offer still stands but Intel will happily trade your C1 for a C2 due to the VT-d bug on the C1;)

Crimsonomega
09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Flexy, first is the characteristics of the chip. See what crimsonomega's chip can do. Then it's Nodens' saying. Lapping, distance and pressure applied to the chip. For this factor let's say I was lucky, because most of the times it's a lucky draw how much material take someone out and how much pressure the cooler applies. Finally it's the cooler and most important the ambient temperature. Using air or water you cannot go lower than ambient. That's a fact. The difference is that using water you have an advantage. This advantage is the thermal capacity of water. The biggest quantity you have (bigger rad), the more time you have to heat up all this water, so more time in low deltas with ambient. With Noctua and high clocks my cores go straight to high numbers and I can't keep it there for long time. That's why summertime I can't pass 5100. To cope with this I had to lower ambient to 16 degrees. I used a very small room with aircondition blowing on my case. For this clock also I had to replace the normal Noctua fans. I had one Noctua in the middle to 1500rpm and two Skythe Ultra Kaze 120x38mm, 3000rpm at the front and back in push-pull configuration. Also I had to reverse the two big fans of my HAF932. The top one instead of being an exhaust, now is blowing chill air inside and the 230mm of the side exhaust air outside, also helps with temps from GPU. Also I have an extra fan blowing chill air to the mosfets and memory and to the back of the board with open case another fan to blow cold air, to the back of CPU and mosfets. In BIOS I try not to use extreme settings and LLC is on Ultra High. That needs a bit higher Vcore than Extreme LLC but it runs a bit cooler and I feel more safe than Extreme. Again with all these, by the end of Encoding test my Cores are spiking to 89-90. Maybe I can do 5100 with a bit of throttling, but it's no point. It's already high enough and you have to know where to stop. I don't forget that this is my everyday PC also and I prefer to keep the money for a cooler upgrade and not to replace the same things. So, my friend, key element is ambient temp. Do something for this, or... wait for the winter :)

Hi Nikosa,

Talking about fans here, are u familair with the Noctua NF-F12 fans? I'm thinking of buying 4 of these fans for a push- pull setup for my H100i. The thing is I'm not familair with either the fans or an push- pull setup. So I want u guys telling me if I'm making a smart move buying these or stick to the stock fans which seems also great though.

Anyway I tried to configure more today with my stability but I had troubles in getting better scores and stability and I couldn't beat my 778 PR.
but I am not in a hurry and I'm allready waiting untill it's winter. I will place my pc outside ones Corsair told me that the liquid fluid inside the radiator is made to go below freezing point!

@Flex how are u doing with ur new project buddy?

xmanrigger
09-01-2013, 06:15 PM
There's no difference in the IMC between steppings. C1 or C2 won't make a difference it's still luck of the draw what you'll get so buying the same processor on a C2 stepping and expecting it to have a better IMC is not a smart move... it may have an even worse one.

Also I'm not sure if the offer still stands but Intel will happily trade your C1 for a C2 due to the VT-d bug on the C1;)

Wow! Really? Never heard of this. I dont think I can lose by doing this. Can you provide a link?

Arne Saknussemm
09-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm thinking of buying 4 of these fans for a push- pull setup for my H100i.

Ordinarily this would be a great idea but the idea would be to get good performance but with some silence....the drawback a slight loss in performance compared to the corsair fans...because they push a whole lot more air at full whack than the Noctuas...and of course produce the noise to go with it.....

So, for a 24/7 system great idea...do it....but for absolute performance and benching maybe keep the Corsair fans?....Nodens has actually done this...

meankeys
09-01-2013, 06:39 PM
o yeah 1 more thing meankeys.. what was your ambient temp with your last submission? :D

My ambit temp is always around 22c. With ice in the cool can = CC temp 8c I run pump with the fans off on rads. I can get my reservoir temp down to 15c as well as my cpu block. It does not stay at those temps long at 100 % load may be about 1 hour as the temps rise I fire up the fans and it's back to ambit temp.

nikosa43
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
@ Crimsonomega, I have to totally agree with the sayings of my friend Arne. Noctuas are great for 24/7 setups, but because now you are on benching thrill, my advice also is not to buy. If you want to replace your fans you have to go with something powerful and usually noisy on the upper high revs. Still you can use them, with a fan controller to low revs for every day use. According to this http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/ Gentle Typhoons are good for push - pull but I don't have personal experience about the difference with your current setup. In your case I would go with the most powerful in static pressure and airflow but the specs do not always say the truth. It's the specific use that makes something more efficient or not. And from the tests of this guy Gentle Typhoons are more efficient on high revs.

Crimsonomega
09-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Hmm very much appriciated for the quick replies allthough this isn't clearing things up for me personally lol.
But I will try and get another pair of the Corsair fan's and just see by myself what it will do. It's as u said every individual setup perform differently with the same fans or not. I guess I will just have to try and see what the difference will be!

http://www.corsair.com/en/skin/frontend/enterprise/corsair/images/transpTriangle.png

This might be the best solution for me, just another pair of stock fan's. I'm hoping for atleast 5 degrees difference with push/pull

Nodens
09-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Wow! Really? Never heard of this. I dont think I can lose by doing this. Can you provide a link?

I believe all you need to do is phone Intel and ask for RMA because your C1 can not use VT-d (no C1 can). They replace them with C2 chips for anyone that wants VT-d because the CPU was advertised as VT-d capable.

m0rpheuzz
09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi all,

I've seen your benchmarks and i have one question.
Regarding the multitasking benchmark, my score is always very low compared with the majority of the people from the forum just near 900.
I'm doing some test and now i'm stable @4.6ghz
I haven't tweaked nothing in windows neither disable any service...
Latest score was:
Image - 594 168.277
Encoding - 585 170.898
Multitasking - 928 107.664
Total 702

My pc is:

Asus Maximus VI Formula
i74770k
Corsair 16GB Vengeage PRO
Swiftech H320
GTX 770
Samsung SSD 840 PRO
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Thanks in advance

flexnl
09-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi Nikosa,

Talking about fans here, are u familair with the Noctua NF-F12 fans? I'm thinking of buying 4 of these fans for a push- pull setup for my H100i. The thing is I'm not familair with either the fans or an push- pull setup. So I want u guys telling me if I'm making a smart move buying these or stick to the stock fans which seems also great though.

Anyway I tried to configure more today with my stability but I had troubles in getting better scores and stability and I couldn't beat my 778 PR.
but I am not in a hurry and I'm allready waiting untill it's winter. I will place my pc outside ones Corsair told me that the liquid fluid inside the radiator is made to go below freezing point!

@Flex how are u doing with ur new project buddy?

I have 4 NF-F12 pwms and they are great...very silent and very good voor rad cooling

stil waiting for the sanding paper m8 :) the delivery boys have sunday to :D

flexnl
09-01-2013, 10:08 PM
damn i thaught i had the best fans out there but i read now that that is not the case pfff they cost a fortune grrr
gotta do more reasearch in these things pff
anyone want to buy some noctuas? very silent very cool haha :D:D

meankeys
09-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Hay Flex

I meant to ask you how many times in a row do you run RB once you fined a stable run?

I seem to do better on my second run. 3 and 4 same score then I make some tweaks to see what happens.

PS I am working on an 832 right now trying to push it before I post :p

Crimsonomega
09-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Great jobh Meankeys,

Fyi my second run is always my best run, I always run 3 runs and my third ones is better then my first but not as my second one

flexnl
09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
dont worry :) i wil get you meankeys hahaha...
and uuh yah i knew that 1 :)
ttnx anyway :D

meankeys
09-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys

I need to find some dry ice. The wife *****ing am taking all the ice lol

HiVizMan
09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Dry Ice is fun and easy to bench with. Less work than LN2 for sure.

Zka17
09-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Dry Ice is fun and easy to bench with.

One question about that if I may have... Looking at different descriptions and videos about using DICE, I see that you need a liquid to optimize the heat exchange between the pot and the DICE... - most people are using acetone as I can see...

Now, my question is that evaporating too much on those temps?

Dice does seems more accessible for me too, my only concern is the highly flammable vapors and the smell in my house... Could someone share some experience about this? Or what else could be used instead of acetone?

HiVizMan
09-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Acetone is used to facilitate the cooling effect better to the entire surface area of the pot.

You can use 45ml of Acetone for an entire days benching.

You can use any 100% pure alcohol.

Then drink it after if you decide on Vodka

Oh and yes you get a bad headache from benching in a closed room. You must bench with open windows for DICE. DICE is actually more dangerous from a death perspective than LN2 of course.

flexnl
09-02-2013, 05:39 PM
from a death perspective :p

meankeys
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Benching to the death:eek: Thats hard core man lol

That is definitely something to be cautious of... after all Dry Ice is carbon dioxide.

Crimsonomega
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
My wife is telling me these days that im turning into a nerd.... But today when I discided to grab a pack of ice and put it on my rad she actually started to doubt me.... Anyway I dont mind because I am on my way to the 800's :D

Btw I couldn't find any info on what Liquid the H100i holds? Is it plain water or is it some other substance? It's important for me to know for when it's December!

meankeys
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Crimsonomega

If your considering doing some benching in the back yard this winter. I dont think you will have any problems as long as you don't let the PC stand out in the cold not running. As long as the PC is on the temps will be more regulated so I don't see how the coolant in your corsair H100i would freeze. I am sure even if they went cheap on the fluid it's at least 40 to 50 % glycol alcohol.

meankeys
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Some nice scores posted up there guy's. Keep up the great work and White paw with his I5 way to go

Crimsonomega
09-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Cheers Meankeys you are absolutely right, I will keep my system running from the moment i put it in my back yard! I wonder what results I will create by the time!

meankeys
09-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Hay Guy's question for the water cooling grues. would you install your flow meter on the pressure side or return?

Or it's like pressure that is equally transmitted through out the whole system simultaneously.

Currently running RES - Pump- CPU Block - Cool Can - Rads - Res

I Pulled the trigger on some goodies for the bench. I needed to get the rads off the bench and my rig organized.

Shopping list Frozen PC

Phobya Radiator Housing Stand - Triple 3 x 120mm / 4 x 180mm "Bench Edition" (38191)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12653/ex-rad-222/Phobya_Radiator_Housing_Stand_-_Triple_3_x_120mm_4_x_180mm_Bench_Edition_38191.ht ml?id=NhweZVv9&mv_pc=154

Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir - Silver Nickel (45217)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12653/ex-rad-222/Phobya_Radiator_Housing_Stand_-_Triple_3_x_120mm_4_x_180mm_Bench_Edition_38191.ht ml?id=NhweZVv9&mv_pc=154

FrozenCPU.com PCI Slot Device Switch - 4-Pin Molex w/ Bypass - (going to use for shutting down fans on rads)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14426/cab-625/FrozenCPUcom_PCI_Slot_Device_Switch_-_4-Pin_Molex_w_Bypass.html?id=NhweZVv9&mv_pc=156

some supply's and eye candy of course :) $180 US before shipping

Zka17
09-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Most of the time I have the flow meters on the return side of the my loops, but in those few cases when I had them on the pressure side they were showing the absolutely same flow... - so, it does not matter really, assuming that you would place the flow meter on the same diameter tubes on both sides....

Arne Saknussemm
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Btw I couldn't find any info on what Liquid the H100i holds? Is it plain water or is it some other substance? It's important for me to know for when it's December!

http://www.corsair.com/en/support/faq/cooling/#answer17 :)

"distilled water with propylene glycol"

doesn't give a % or minimum operating temp :confused:

IM2L844
09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
All this fancy shmancy futuristic gagetry talk is all making my plan for a box window fan with a custom fabricated cardboard/duct tape shroud and a few feet of flexible 8" duct look like something less than the state of the art cooling solution that it surely is.

meankeys
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Zka17;305764]Most of the time I have the flow meters on the return side of the my loops, but in those few cases when I had them on the pressure side they were showing the absolutely same flow... - so, it does not matter really, assuming that you would place the flow meter on the same diameter tubes on both sides....[/QUOTE

Thanks Z

Crimsonomega
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank u very much Arne I'm now looking forward towards the winter ^^

Arne Saknussemm
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Hehe you and me both Crmsonomega! ;) too hot here to bench in summer.....

IM2L844
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Arne, all you have to do is pack your system and a generator up to the top of one of those mountains where it's nice and cool. Nothing to it.:rolleyes:

Arne Saknussemm
09-05-2013, 06:46 PM
LOL....could do some heli-benching in the Alps...set a new trend :D

Nodens
09-05-2013, 07:50 PM
You could also get a camera crew, a sponsor and actually pull that one :p

Crimsonomega
09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
AlpinaBench

IM2L844
09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Arne Saknussemm: The Bear Grylls of benching.

I wish I knew how to photoshop.

Arne Saknussemm
09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Ufff...at least I've actually climbed some mountains ;)

I can see it now:

Crimsonomega
09-06-2013, 01:05 PM
haha pro one

Nodens
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Hahaha! The dream come true!

meankeys
09-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Not a very good picture but there's my lapped IHS

Crimsonomega
09-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Hey that's my mirror!!!!!

nikosa43
09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Not a very good picture but there's my lapped IHS25896 Very good job Meankeys! I hope the temps, shine too :)

meankeys
09-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks

Temps are looking good :)

flexnl
09-08-2013, 11:46 PM
nice chaos on your desk meankeys :)
just like me :)

meankeys
09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
lol Thanks I work hard at it :)

Here's my desk just as bad my bench is right behind me

underwater
09-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey guys,
been away and got lost for a while.
Got some reading and catching up to do no doubt.
when navigating from...
WHY ROG / ROG PRO / Realbench / I got a great score! / Realbench League (I got a great score!) Table
it leads to the old leaderboard / chat thread.
Is that something only Marshall can fix / update ??
It may confuse some people.
Not that that thread is a bad read mind you, bit of history right there.

meankeys
09-11-2013, 04:39 PM
I have this old supermicro rack server with daul Xeon 3.06 Ghz cps's I used it for our clan LAN parties. I wounder what kind of score that will bring. Although it may not have enough memory as I think RB requires 4 GB sys memory.

underwater
09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I have this old supermicro rack server with daul Xeon 3.06 Ghz cps's I used it for our clan LAN parties. I wounder what kind of score that will bring. Although it may not have enough memory as I think RB requires 4 GB sys memory.

Hey MK,
I did a run with dual 5650 Xeons on an SR-2 board a while back.
I think ran a Realbench score around 630.
The limited overclock ability of the Xeon chips is the hold-back from really high scores I think.
I have 24Gb ram in the system.
Might be worth another run for me now a Bios update is available.
Also I'm building a dual 2650 Xeon system atm (even less OC potential) so I'll be giving that a run through when ready.

Good luck with your testing :D

meankeys
09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Hay Underwater

Thats cool man. I have some old stuff laying around I am having some fun seeing if it will pass the RB test. Did you post your scores?. I have a feeling I may not be able to run that server as I only have 2 GB of memory and it probably ECC type

underwater
09-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Hay Underwater

Did you post your scores?.

number 26 on the Intel 6+ core leaderboard (http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25947&d=1378762163)
score post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33173-RealBench-Forum-League-Table-v1.0&p=274599&viewfull=1#post274599)

meankeys
09-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Nice! :)

Crimsonomega
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Woooppieee finally in the 800 club :). Allthough I didn't put much effort in this score so prepare for more results in time :)

Arne Saknussemm
09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Very nice Crimson!! 800 club!! :-)

Darn just posted Congrats in the wrong thread...Congrats Crimson!

Anyone noticed how the old thread was rocking along and now it's truncated and split.....tumbleweeds and crickets? Well not that bad but dont seem as busy...just sayin....

HiVizMan
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Nice one mate 800 club is growing.

Now here is the challenge who is going to post 1000 first. Heads up to all it is very doable.

meankeys
09-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Very nice Crimson. Congrats and you were saying how tuff it was lol. So what did you do different this time?

Paw that looks much better. When you posted the other day that 600 something it did look like 700 to me too. Way to rock that i5

Hay HiViz do we need the zero zone suites and gloves to reach that or did you move to the alps lol

HiVizMan
09-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Nah you guys are quite close actually. Think maybe 7-12% more efficiency at 5.1GHz for the IVY-E

Nodens
09-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Grats Crimson!

Crimsonomega
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Thnx guys but there is still tons of improvement space :)

Crimsonomega
09-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Very nice Crimson. Congrats and you were saying how tuff it was lol. So what did you do different this time?

Paw that looks much better. When you posted the other day that 600 something it did look like 700 to me too. Way to rock that i5

Hay HiViz do we need the zero zone suites and gloves to reach that or did you move to the alps lol

Hey Meankeys

All I changed was memory. I had those G.Skills 16Gb @2400, but I had the feeling they weren't my thing, so I bought Dominators Platinum 2666Mhz. And it looks like I bought something great!

I squeezed a few more points out of it today!

Menthol
09-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice one mate 800 club is growing.

Now here is the challenge who is going to post 1000 first. Heads up to all it is very doable.

Don't listen to him, you cannot best my score

Nodens
09-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Hahahaha! (Nice try ;p)

meankeys
09-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Nice Crimson way to go. Good call on the memory I am about tapped out on speed so now I will be tweaking my memory to see if I can get a few more points. you guy's are getting to close lol :)

HiVizMan
09-13-2013, 07:22 PM

It is sadly true of course. :p

Crimsonomega
09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I havent done any timings at all yet, I wonder how much that will gain me if I put some effort in that :)

meankeys
09-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Nice Score Flex :) Way to push it bud.

You guy's are getting to close. I am going to have to start making ice lol

Menthol
09-13-2013, 08:28 PM
It is sadly true of course. :p
It's not sad mate, it has to happen, I am going to install my IB-E 4930K one last time, I have not been successful getting it stable past 4.8 GHZ, any suggestions you have for me would be greatly appreciated. If it won't clock past 5.0 it's going to have to go and I'll purchase another one and try again.

HiVizMan
09-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Menthol are you using any profile to set up your OC.

I found that it was best to simply up the voltage and change the multi. A big issue with some CPUs which hampered the final frequency was the memory timings.

What volts are you needing for your current frequency?

Menthol
09-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Viz,
It may be because I have had no experience with the little Ivy's so I thinking it will react the same as my SB-E, but it's not. So I got a set of Corsair Dominator Plats 2666 CL10 to give a try, and to answer your question I have tried ram profiles, water-cooled profile, everything is smooth as silk up to 4.6 - 4.8 low voltage low temps, but not 5.0

HiVizMan
09-14-2013, 11:26 AM
It does not behave in the same way. Similar in that it is an Intel CPU but ....

What voltage for 4.8?

Now take that voltage and accept that the step up from 4.8 to higher is your voltage threshold. No longer will a small amount (incremental amount) of voltage be needed. But a fairly substantial increase will be needed.

Now your temps are going to go up hugely at this point so keep an eye on them.

Menthol
09-14-2013, 01:57 PM
It does not behave in the same way. Similar in that it is an Intel CPU but ....

What voltage for 4.8?

Now take that voltage and accept that the step up from 4.8 to higher is your voltage threshold. No longer will a small amount (incremental amount) of voltage be needed. But a fairly substantial increase will be needed.

Now your temps are going to go up hugely at this point so keep an eye on them.

It does not behave like my SB-E = Understatement
Set XMP for 2666mhz memory- CPU at 4750 - Auto voltage in bios = 1.568 volts - LLC = Ultra High
above this temps are high enough to cook bacon but Vantage scores are quit a bit higher for same CPU speed as SB-E so I can see that there is potential

I see I have a lot of work finding best settings

What kind of volts are you talking about at 5.1 GHZ?

Crimsonomega
09-14-2013, 03:16 PM
How come that I run 5,1Ghz @1.38v but as soon as I go higher then 5,1Ghz im completely out of control. I wont manage to reach Windows properly. I changed my voltages to a specific 1.40, 1,44 and a 1.50v. Is there something I should change differently ones I go above 5,1Ghz? Or is that I need to get drasticly higher voltages such as 1.70? Can this difference this much?

HiVizMan
09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Menthol - you have a volt hungry CPU if you need 1.56. Temps are a bit toasty there I would think. And yeah you are right you are going to have to find the happy medium.

Crimson - easy answer you have a darn fine chip in that case mate. Now your tipping point for voltages is 5.1 and you will have to look at quite a few other settings to get over the hump. Do you have CPU PLL enabled? And 1.56 might become your friend for 5.1 or higher. But temps will be the decider.

Crimsonomega
09-14-2013, 08:48 PM
PLL is enabled yes, and I think my cpu cooler is at its limit for now. I might try and push harder ones it gets winter here, then I go outside! Thnx for the tip I will point out 1.56v

nikosa43
09-15-2013, 08:19 AM
High guys, my job currently keeps me overloaded, more than usual, so I didn't have time for anything else. But I 've seen nice progress, especially with mem frequency. Flexy, congrats mate, you past 2800 and crimson almost reached 2900. That's huge numbers. For Menthol and Crimson trying to reach higher CPU ftequencys, (different chips though), guys have you tried first, not to overclock memory at all, (not even XMP profile, just set it to Auto, 1333 or 1600) and then try to reach and find your highest CPU Clock? This will give a much more clear picture of what your CPU can do with the memory factor outside of the equation as much as possible. When you find stable high CPU clocks, voltages and temps, you can start gradually OC memory (frequency first with loose timmings) and check how memory contributes to the picture. So, IMO first you have to do the opposite we do, when we try to OC memory. Just an idea, (maybe you have already tried that) :)

Menthol
09-15-2013, 06:36 PM
nikosa,
Yes I have tried with mem at default auto 1333 8 & 16 GB kits, unless I am way off base I have to come to the conclusion like it or not my chip is not a very good over clocker, I have tried raising, vccsa, pll, etc. to no avail.

There is this one consolation, 16GB memory at 3000MHZ

nikosa43
09-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I am sorry to hear that Menthol. It's like Intel playing with overclockers. Previous generations had good clocks and limited IMC and now you can reach 3000 with your memory with no high CPU clocks. Frustrating. But in the bottom line, I think overall scores will be higher.

meankeys
09-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Any one using IC Diamond thermal compound? I am giving it a try. My temps @ 5000 MHz 1.488v no load 22c loaded 52c At first it didn't look that good but I guess it has a break in time of about 1 hour. I am still using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra under the IHS and IC Diamond on top.

nikosa43
09-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Any one using IC Diamond thermal compound? I am giving it a try. My temps @ 5000 MHz 1.488v no load 22c loaded 52c At first it didn't look that good but I guess it has a break in time of about 1 hour. I am still using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra under the IHS and IC Diamond on top. Never used IC, but it's not a good idea to use it on the chip. It can scratch the silicone surface.

meankeys
09-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Nice score guy's

ChrisB647100 - Madcratebuilder - GG178

Watch your temps and keep pushin it - they like it that way ;)

Crimsonomega
09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Guys question: How much influence to the scores do SSD's have during Realbench?

Congratulations FlexNL great job buddy

meankeys
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
I never tested to see if it added to my score but it certainly helps with the reboot time when changing setting. 10 - 15 sec ver 30 - 45 sec boot. I am talking at your desktop ready to go.

meankeys
09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Yo Flex way to go man.

Now I really got to push it now :) great score bud 840

Nodens
09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Guys question: How much influence to the scores do SSD's have during Realbench?

Compared to HDD, a lot. Compared to different SSD models, not much.

Crimsonomega
09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank u very much

meankeys
09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I just noticed there's a new bios ver out 1903 reads Improve system stability. any one running this bios yet? I well give it a try tonight.
Any one see the readme file or feedback on this - Thanks

UnoBorg
09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Strange my tiny mechanical HDD boots win in abt 8-9 seconds

I never tested to see if it added to my score but it certainly helps with the reboot time when changing setting. 10 - 15 sec ver 30 - 45 sec boot. I am talking at your desktop ready to go.

meankeys
09-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Strange my tiny mechanical HDD boots win in abt 8-9 seconds

Hi UnoBorg - on a fresh install of my OS i would say that's about right. My main rig has an older 1 TB HD and it seams like a life time wait to boot. since then I replace it with a SSD boot drive and now I boot up and surfing in seconds. there's just no comparison.

nikosa43
09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
About the new BIOS, 19xx I think I am going to pass :). Last time I used the 18xx it was a disaster. So I stick to 17xx. 19xx, I think writes the new Intel RST driver. As for Unoborg's boot time in 8 seconds, that's because his drive is a hybrid one, with a small 8 Gb SSD on it. So, critical OS files are stored there, improving boot time but the applications run from the mechanical part. If he transfer everything on a real SSD he will improve his RB score and he will accelerate his applications by a good margin.

meankeys
09-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Nick - I flashed it last night and don't see any noticeable changes. I used the flash drive method no problem installing.

meankeys
09-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Hay Who is using Core Tenp?

What voltage is showing in the VID

Rockford
09-23-2013, 12:26 AM
vcore mean>>>> i think

meankeys
09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks WPaw

I thought so too but CPUZ reading 1.625 and core temp = 1.215?:confused:

Rockford
09-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Sensor stuff?

i also got slightly different reading when i checked for you (probe II), but not with that much..

I am pretty sure its the vcore

meankeys
09-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks Bud

May be Ill install probe II and check some voltages.
My Volt Meter reads what CPUZ reads for vcore

Thanks

meankeys
09-23-2013, 04:45 PM
might be cause you run it on CL10
my run was on CL9 :) try it :)

I was playing with that last night but @ cl9 it will only run at 2400. what voltage do you use at that setting? I cant get past 2800 MHz and I see you did as well.

flexnl
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
maxclock up until now is 1425mhz (2850)
and CL9 is stable up until 2666
so if i run 2666 @ cl9 i can still bump up the bclck with 2.1 maybe more :)
plus i try to get alll other timings down also ofcoursse (secondary and tertiairy)

flexnl
09-23-2013, 05:15 PM
oh and volltage is @ 1.850-1.875 when benching :D

flexnl
09-23-2013, 05:19 PM
i havent done much realbench last few days ..but i believe i can still do better...maybe if tonight s a cold night :D

Arne Saknussemm
09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Where are the IB-E results?....not one in the tables yet?

Detleg
09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
I posted one early this morning, just a little oc'd to 4500 and no memory pushing

Arne Saknussemm
09-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Really? must have missed that.... nice one Detleg....you winding your bench up slowly....

meankeys
09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
OK Thanks Flex

So far only tried 1.825v will bump it up tonight and see what happens.

Thanks again

flexnl
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
did you try m8? try 9-12-12-25-1 on 1.85v :) you can push bclck a little on those timings also

meankeys
09-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes I was able to run it CL9 x 2666 at 5100 MHz only got me to 821 RB :(

Still Testing ty

Detleg
09-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Wow mean, those settings should have least get you a 840-850 score

meankeys
09-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Wow mean, those settings should have least get you a 840-850 score

I am testing 5150 MHz Now lets see what that will yield.

chende
09-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Samuel Well done! ! Make persistent efforts

meankeys
09-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Sorry been busy. I see allot of great scores posted keep up the great work guy's

HiVizMan
09-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I am surprised that so few folks have gone past 900 and if I am honest I would expect to see the 1K mark broken soon too. Guys it is possible, good cooling, tight tweaking and a IVY-e :D

Nodens
09-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I guess Arne will like reading that last word!

HiVizMan
09-28-2013, 11:30 AM
I guess Arne will like reading that last word!

Well Arne could get there with the current CPU he has. I did. :p

Nodens
09-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Haha! I know! I'm just talking about him posting a couple of pages back that he wants to see IB-E results ;)

HiVizMan
09-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Nodens any chance the RB ver 2 can be piloted in the Autumn Folly?

Nodens
09-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe we can have a closed beta going to select users in a couple of weeks, without the upload feature. You should expect another internal version soon though. ;)

meankeys
09-28-2013, 05:53 PM
cool nice to hear. looking forward to version II.

Thanks again HiViz for the challenge and Chris for the desktop image very nice.

still looking for an AMD partner. USA preferably but not mandatory. Will make it easy to stay in contact.

Chino
09-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Detleg submmited the first IVB-E entry by the way. :p

nikosa43
09-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Meankeys, grats mate for 843. I see you rev up for Autumn Folly :D.

Arne Saknussemm
09-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Well Arne could get there with the current CPU he has. I did. :p

Really....there's a challenge....maybe in February....or....I'm hatching a plan to take the bench to the Alps....

meankeys
09-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Meankeys, grats mate for 843. I see you rev up for Autumn Folly :D.

Hi nik

I am ready. just need a partner in crime. I saw the thread you posted looking for a partner. If you don't mind could you start a list of guy's looking for partners in your first post. like Hank and I. I didnt want to crash your party (thread) lol
Thank you

HiVizMan
09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Calling on all AMD RB realbench participants. We would like to invite you one and all to take part in the Autumn folly, have a visit - link in my sig and put your name down. We need you guys. :)

Arne Saknussemm
09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
meankeys! This is excellent! http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36600-ROG-RealBench-Leaderboard&p=316421&viewfull=1#post316421

Did you make that yourself? does the copper pipe bend to that without kinking without heat? I have been looking for something similar....like from an old still or something but no luck yet....

Nodens
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
AFAIK you need heat/blowtorch to bend a copper pipe (from watching a plumber do their work:)).

Arne Saknussemm
09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah I've done quite a bit of domestic copper pipe plumbing and used a bending spring for simple stuff and used a blow torch but unless meankeys has polished that afterwards it doesn't seem to bear the signs of a blowtorch....why I was asking...and the coils are a little uneven in diameter so not machine produced....so was wondering if blow torched how long it took! .....the reason I've been looking for one that's already made LOL

HiVizMan
09-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Let me just share the easy way of going below zero water cooling for a benching session save you all heaps of work with copper pipe.

Items you need.

A strong pump - any kind will do, I like the garden fountain kind or the submersible pond type.

A big bucket or cooler box (prefer the cooler box ice lasts longer)

Tubing and reducers or adaptors to fit your pump.

CPU water block.

Connect some tube to the inlet of the pump. Stick the tubing at the bottom of the bucket and put some thing over it to keep it in place. I used a common kitchen colander this keeps the ice and bits out of the tube.

Now connect the outlet tubing from the pump to your CPU block

Tube from CPU block just has to return to the bucket, I used to wrap some wire or tape around the tube and the handle of the bucket and just ensure the end was pointing down over the heaped ice.

The liquid mixture I used was either just water and a half pound of salt, just wanted enough to cover the pump inlet and about half of the ice, or a mix of anti freeze and water to get my liquid way below zero.

Cheap easy to set up and quick to set up.

Arne Saknussemm
09-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Actually I could do that....*slaps forehead* I have just realised I have another CPU block sitting here....could just use it for chilled water and leave the rest of my loop alone to cool cards.....just swap blocks and leave the 24/7 block dangle in the air.....cheers HiViz!!

meankeys
09-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah I've done quite a bit of domestic copper pipe plumbing and used a bending spring for simple stuff and used a blow torch but unless meankeys has polished that afterwards it doesn't seem to bear the signs of a blowtorch....why I was asking...and the coils are a little uneven in diameter so not machine produced....so was wondering if blow torched how long it took! .....the reason I've been looking for one that's already made LOL

No Heat... I rapped it around a piece of 4" pipe. It took a little man handling as I could not fine something stationary with a 4" diameter. You need to be able to slide it off after you bend it. 1/2" cooper will not kink to easy as long as you take your time and work it around the pipe.

Arne Saknussemm
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks meankeys...looked like you'd done that....pretty elegant solution....though I've just realized I have a spare block so I could do the cheap and nasty method....but I will look out for a nice bit of pipe somewhere....certainly looks the bees knees! and your RB results look good too....

meankeys
09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Good luck Arne
It is a cheap and easy way to do it. Considering I cant afford a chiller right now. I also wish I had a better clocking CPU 1.75v with CPLL on Ultra High don't cut it in my book. I mean If you look at the leader board I see guy's getting higher scores with lower clocks. Tells me RB is more about memory timings and settings with a 1/2 decent OC .

How much voltage can you safely push through one of these i7 3770K's before they go pop? :rolleyes:

flexnl
09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
hey nice score meankeys :) enjoy it cause im comming 4 ya :) gnegne

meankeys
09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
hehe bring it Flex

As you can see I was really pushin it. I am going to have to try and learn how to tweak my memory because I am at my limit.

HiVizMan
09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
I might play again if I get a couple of minutes. You guys have done real well most impressed.

Arne Saknussemm
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
How much voltage can you safely push through one of these i7 3770K's before they go pop? :rolleyes:

I don't know that and I don't want you to tell me ;)

I might play again if I get a couple of minutes

Go HiVizMan....I'd be interested to know what's possible...

nikosa43
09-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi nikI am ready. just need a partner in crime. I saw the thread you posted looking for a partner. If you don't mind could you start a list of guy's looking for partners in your first post. like Hank and I. I didnt want to crash your party (thread) lolThank you lol, don't be lazy. Introduce yourself to the thread, unfortunately you don't crash any party :)

Nodens
09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Guys, you better push it while you still can because it's not very long till v2 and then you'll be pushing that one instead :p

meankeys
09-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Guys, you better push it while you still can because it's not very long till v2 and then you'll be pushing that one instead :p

As long as shes good looking ill push on her all night long lol

meankeys
09-30-2013, 07:42 PM
lol, don't be lazy. Introduce yourself to the thread, unfortunately you don't crash any party :)

ok bud NP i just didnt want to step on your toes. I will post it up tonight

Nodens
09-30-2013, 08:39 PM
As long as shes good looking ill push on her all night long lol

I can assure you she's absolutely hot! (pun intended)

meankeys
10-01-2013, 01:14 AM
I can assure you she's absolutely hot! (pun intended)

Sweet!

nikosa43
10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Good numbers guys. @stivut, u have excellent clocks, now u need tweaking to hit high numbers :)

Nodens
10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Sirfracis, either turn off EIST or switch to High Performance power plan before you bench:)

chrsplmr
10-03-2013, 02:29 PM
solaufein_gr ... Welcome to ROG.
Nice run ... Thanks for bump'n me down on the leaderboard .. lol..c.

solaufein_gr
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Greetings friend, thanks alot for the welcome
I have the cpu only a day now, still checking things around. This run was with 1,44 volt and during the test, cpuid/openhwmonitor showed a constant 1,424 or so voltage ... all the way. Same with OCCT test. OMG i'll live opteron 148-180 eras again!
Yes i know, i was kidding ok? :):D

ganji
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Nice run solaufein_gr,
You knocked me down one too, Good score :D

mikelbivins
10-07-2013, 02:13 AM

Mike L B - 733 --- 3930k --- 4600MHZ --- 64g@2400 --- Rampage IV Extreme

solaufein_gr
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I think you better post it in the other thread with results only. Tho i don't think lists are updated, mine doesn't show on first post.

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Lists are updated - when did you post your score up?

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 05:08 PM
so i just post a screen shot of my realbench score and I get immortalized? :D

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Of course for ever and ever.

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Awesome, I ran the RB just a day after getting my machine all put together, I think it was a solid 820ish... but in the lower 800's (i think , i might be imagining things) but provided i can figure out how to screenshot (i know it's a simple task but bare with my inadiquate brain).... "print screen" never worked on my other machine and I never tried to make it work .... *facepalm.

I'll give it a go tonight. :D

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 05:30 PM
What OS you using mate and I will tell you how to print screen.

Here is how I do it. Press the print screen button then open Paint and navigate to the edit menu, press paste and there my screenshot is.

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Windows 8 (I just haven't tried to print screen yet) it's 10:40 a.m and I won't be home for another 8'ish hours)

but if I have trouble I know where to find help :D look for my screen shot tomorrow (my assumption that you'll be counting sheep by the time I get my screenshot posted :D )

solaufein_gr
10-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Lists are updated - when did you post your score up?
Ahh, i haven't check for a while, sorry, its there.
Not so determined run, but still is the fastest AMD ... for now :p

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Windows 8 (I just haven't tried to print screen yet) it's 10:40 a.m and I won't be home for another 8'ish hours)

but if I have trouble I know where to find help :D look for my screen shot tomorrow (my assumption that you'll be counting sheep by the time I get my screenshot posted :D )

Now worries, and I certainly hope I will be way past the counting stage and fast asleep. All good :)

Ahh, i haven't check for a while, sorry, its there.
Not so determined run, but still is the fastest AMD ... for now :p

Nice way to start your ROG RB career.

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
27624 Lunchhhhh!!! (real bench was a good enough reason to tear @#%$ home for lunch yes? )

Bummer.... my score isn't as awesome as i thought. (mmm.. my picture doesn't seem to want to load... ok there it is lol...)

image editing 535 time 186.621
encoding 493 time 202.684
multitasking 812 time 123.006
system score : balls 613 :(

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
I am not asleep :D

What hardware are you using my friend?

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 08:10 PM
whew... off the top of my head.

MoBo: Asus Maximus VI Hero Lga 1150 intel z87.
Processor: i5 haswell 4670K 3.4 ghz 84w
Memory: gskill ripjaws x series 16GB 4x4
GPU Asus HD7970 DC2 3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3gb.
Psu Corsair CX750M atx 12v v2.3 sli/xfire ready
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1 tb
SSD: kingston V300 SV300s37a/240g

(ok i lied I had neweggs purchase list handy)

(things I think i'm going to be asked)

I'm pretty sure the bench was saved on the hdd.

I tentatively want to say xmp is off.... (i remember it being part of my , Ae error and reseting mofset? issue) (forgive the errors with naming parts, everything in my brain is a thingamajig until it's important enough to remember)

andddd... I used AI suite to overclock (I think, but am pretty sure) to a solid 4.2?

HiVizMan
10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
No worries the reason I asked is so that the leader board can be updated correctly if you decided to post up on the submissions page. Chino needs the submission to include the correct information format.

Nawesemo
10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
awe... lol I was 1/2 way excited to see a .... "o well you need to do this this and this and this to make 800#'s "

hehe... but given my weenie little Seidon cooler, I don't think I'll be breaking any records today.

Thanks HiViz :D

IM2L844
10-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Well, it looks like cooler weather is finally in sight. I think I can have ambients in a predictable 10 C range soon, so the de-lidding plans are getting serious now. I have a vice on a workbench, but instead of the usual popular vice method, I intend to use my vice to hold a razor blade stationary with about 1/4" ( <750mm) exposed and then manipulate the CPU on it to de-lid. Seems like a fairly safe way to do it my first time...in theory. I can see a solid 4.7GHz light at the end of the tunnel in a week or so. 4.8???? We'll see. I have an 800+ RB score in the crosshairs! ;)

Nawesemo
10-09-2013, 11:07 PM
O.o o.O but.... but.... why!? (forgive me I'm a dingbat) but I think your going to take the top off of your processor, won't that make it useless?

Zka17
10-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Well, it could make it useless... but if you're doing the delidding correctly, then you can shave off a lot from the max temps - that way you can extend your max OC... :)

But, delidding is for certain CPUs only, for IB and Haswell - don't try with other ones...

Nawesemo
10-09-2013, 11:14 PM
after you take the lid off.... ?? (keep in mind i haven't a clue what's actually inside a processor) ...

do you drop your cooler onto it w/o the lid? or.... I've heard about it, but never actually asked why would you. (or how for that matter)

Zka17
10-10-2013, 01:09 AM
The surface of the CPUs you can see is just a metallic cap, under it it is the chip itself - the metallic cap is called the integrated head spreader, and as it's name suggests it's role is to spread the heat from the chip... now, the problem with the Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs is the connection type between the silicon and this heat spreader... Intel used some regular/low end TIM between (in other CPUs there is a special soldering) - and people figured out that changing that TIM temps can be lowered significantly...

If you're interested, just google it and check youtube... - but be aware that delidding a CPU means loosing it's warranty!

IM2L844
10-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Nawesemo, I'm very nervous about doing this and I will be absolutely over the top with care, prudence and a number of other adjectives. It will probably take me 3 times longer than it actually should, but replacing my 4770k isn't in my budget and I'm all about budgets. OTOH, stepping outside of my comfort zone is where the fun is, so I don't think I have a choice, really.

After having read everything and watching every video I've been able to find, my confidence level is adequate and I've also been assured by several people that If I simply apply a reasonable amount of caution and informed good sense, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I remain modestly incredulous, but nothing ventured - nothing gained, eh? Bottom line, I'm going for it as soon as my Coollaboratory Liquid Pro gets here.

nikosa43
10-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Good luck IM2 :). Just use a small quantity of coolabs and take care of these little components on the side of the chip.

Nodens
10-10-2013, 12:39 PM
As an additional note, it's not the low end TIM that makes the majority of the temp drop, it's the distance of the IHS from the die. Removal of the black silicon material reduces the distance from the die. This is why lapping also helps a lot. Not sure if I can find it but there is a test someone conducted, that shows this clearly.:)

There, I found it: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34059601&postcount=583

IM2L844
10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks, nik. I don't know why I'm being such a teenage girl about this. It's embarrassing. Do you think it is really necessary to put a clear coat over those "little components" on the side of the chip like some people are doing?

Thanks, Nodens. I suspected as much. I'm wondering if sanding flat and level the bottom of the flared foot of the IHS that rests on the silicone would be beneficial in any way because of this.