PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750 USB 3.0 Ports not working with some things

FIREWORKKS
08-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I bought a pair of Razer Megalodons. They work with Windows 7, on my old HP laptop, but not on my new Windows 8 laptop. When I plug it in, it lights up, and I can adjust the settings on the sound box. But, on my screen, it says the device could not be recognized. It says "Error 43" on device manager. I have also tried dual booting Windows 7 on the same machine already. They also work on another Windows 8 machine, but the other machine has no USB 3.0 ports.
This also happens with my USB 2.0 HDD, but somehow, my USB 3.0 HDD works. What is the issue? I read somewhere that the GT70 (basically, MSI's equivalent) works but this laptop does not.

UnfairAwesomeness
08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Do the headphones even have support for windows 8 (doesn't show support for firmware flasher)

Try firmware flasher and make sure you download latest USB 3.0 drivers:
http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=105&pcid=37&nav=0,78,37

FIREWORKKS
08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
I have already installed the 2.12 firmware onto my headset from my Windows 7 laptop, and where are the usb 3.0 drivers? :(

UnfairAwesomeness
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Do you have a desktop with windows 8?

FIREWORKKS
08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
No. But as I said before, It works on another W8 laptop, that has no usb 3.0 ports.

Prostar Computer
08-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Have you already tried reloading or updating the chipset driver?

FIREWORKKS
08-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Have you already tried reloading or updating the chipset driver?

No, I haven't... But somewhere on this forum, another member said they had the same problem

Mashimizu
10-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Try connecting the razer megalodons trough an usb 2.0 hub it worked for me and i don't even know why xD

Nomade
10-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I have a problem with one USB port. It doesn't work with any USB 3.0 storage devices. Looks like it's rapidly connected and disconneted from port. There is no problem with USB 2.0 devices.

Calolo
11-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I have exactly the same problem with one USB port when I try to connect my USB 3.0 storage devices.

shinigamikai
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey m8 i had same problem with my megalodons they had crackling noise when connected to usb 3.0,turning usb 3.0 off solved crackling problem but then i run into another one...when i connect my xbox controller for windows it doesnt work until i plug out the megalodons and then if i plug the headphones back they dont work...to me it seemed like 2 of those dont work good together for some reason...in the end i ended up selling megalodons and buying Hi-Fi headphones now i have all 4usb slots connected in 3.0 everything is working perfectly

Elasher
01-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Well, yet another G750 owner with the same problem. i can not read my external hard drive via ANY usb....Im not sure why there isn't 2 usb 2.0s and also, where are the USB 3.0 drivers? I would like to think that after spending $1300, i can at least use my utilities...Any help would be much appreciated.

ansallar
02-04-2014, 11:13 AM
I also have issues with using usb 3.0 external HDD's.

I have tried all 4 ports, and sometimes the drive is seen, but is reported as having size 0mb available, sometimes there is a repeated connect / disconnect cycle, verified by connect / disconnect beeps and other times no recognition of the connected HDD.

I have several usb 3.0 enclosed drives, Imoega, Seagate, Western Digital and these drives work fine on usb2.0 enabled devices (windows XP and Windows 7 laptops, Synology NAS) and usb3.0 Mac Book, so there is no issue with the Drives themselves.

Really need some help here in understanding how the usb3.0 drivers can be updated and if this clears the issue, or do we need a support firmware change from Asus ?

Ta

Andy

aarbogh
03-04-2014, 08:59 PM
So I'm not alone with my USB problem.
My external WD MyBook essential and passport worked for a while, but suddenly they are both not recognized by windows. And now my mouse won’t work.

--
hm

aarbogh
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Found a conflict With the ASUS charger plus so now my mouse is working again, but my WD disk are still not recognized.
--
hm

Downtownbrown
03-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I also had the USB issue after installing the recently added Asus Charger Plus from the Asus G750JX Windows 8.1 support site, couldn't use any of my USB peripherals.
Did a Windows restore point and reinstalled the original version and all good again.

JwPwns
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I also have this problem with my usb 3.0 ports on the G46.. i think it's their driver problem but not sure.. sometimes it works sometimes have to plug it in multiple times before it can recognize the drive,, one of the port seems to work better than the other

aarbogh
03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Looks like my problem is on the top left USB port! Not sure but it looks like the other ports are rather stable! Initially I believed this was a driver problem, but could this be a hardware (USB hub) problem?

--
hm

spermulator
05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Looks like my problem is on the top left USB port! Not sure but it looks like the other ports are rather stable! Initially I believed this was a driver problem, but could this be a hardware (USB hub) problem?

--
hm

Same problem here! Top left USB port and the external hard drive keeps disconnecting. No problem with the other 3 ports. Very annoying because I would rather use ports on the left because I use Mouse on the right side of computer.

pokerface
05-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Same problem here! Top left USB port and the external hard drive keeps disconnecting. No problem with the other 3 ports. Very annoying because I would rather use ports on the left because I use Mouse on the right side of computer.

yeah I had the same issue on my previous G750JX

Thank god I sold it

hmscott
05-05-2014, 12:21 AM
If you have a flaky USB 3.0 port, report it to Asus and get it fixed. All 4 ports work great on my JH, and also worked great on my JW/JX.

Make sure you have updated all the drivers and software through the new G750 JM/JS/JZ download areas that have the newest Windows 8/8.1 drivers for all G750's
support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Some USB 3.0 devices might not be compatible. You can get a newer USB 3.0 enclosure and move your disk to it to get better speed / reliability.

My 1TB is in a USB 3.0 external enclosure plugged in to my G750JH left rear USB 3.0 port, and it works great. Here are the performance numbers for the 2 left ports.

Left Rear USB 3.0 port

Left front USB 3.0 port

I use the USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Enclosure JU-SA0H11-S1
http://www.siig.com/usb-3-0-to-ide-sata-6gb-s-2-5-enclosure.html

If you still have USB 3.0 issues, you can register a login and your laptop here, and file a Technical Inquiry here to start the process to get it fixed. Be descriptive with examples of the failures in your TI so that Asus knows specifically what the failure is so they can help.

http://vip.asus.com

rurik133
05-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi All,

Had same problem - left side USB not worked with mass storage at all, uninstall of USB charge + from ASUS
solved the issue

hmscott
05-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi All,

Had same problem - left side USB not worked with mass storage at all, uninstall of USB charge + from ASUS
solved the issue

Do you recall which version you had installed? I have Asus USB Charger Plus 3.1.8 and I have USB charging enabled in the BIOS. And, I have no problems with USB 3.0 on the left side, either port, as above.

PhantomRain
05-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Have you any of you suffered the issue where Windows 8.1 keeps disconnecting USB devices? Related to some kind of power saving mode?

I've tried the registry hacks and everything, but I can't get my USB hubs and one of my drives to register. Complete nightmare. G750JS here.

hmscott
05-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Have you any of you suffered the issue where Windows 8.1 keeps disconnecting USB devices? Related to some kind of power saving mode?

I've tried the registry hacks and everything, but I can't get my USB hubs and one of my drives to register. Complete nightmare. G750JS here.

PhantomRain, I read a bunch of threads on it just now. We have had some USB 3.0 incompatibility forum posts, and complaints about the right back USB 3.0 port not acting like the other 3 USB 3.0 ports, but nothing like the problems described in the Windows 8.1 update causing USB disconnects.

It looks like a fix from Microsoft went out 4/8/2014 to revert the updated USB behavior in Windows 8.1 to the Windows 8.0 method.

Here are the best links I found. I don't have the problem so I can't confirm this works, can you please check it out?

"Note: The registry workaround described in this blog is no longer required. A major Windows update published on 4/8/2014 reverts the USBSTOR.SYS driver behavior to 8.0. As a result, a storage device that uses BOT protocol will not be suspended when it's idle. So if you are having issues accessing your device after the device has been idle for sometime, please install this latest Windows update first. Here is the direct link to the update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355

Once the update is installed, you should see the timestamp on the %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys file to be 2/22/2014 or later."

From: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx

KB2919355 update should come through Windows Update for you, I checked my update history and KB2919355 was installed on 4/13/2014 for me - I had 9 other updates on 4/8/14.

rurik133
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Mine was 2.1.5, also found that second USB hub driver in Device Manager was from Microsoft and not from Intel.
Reinstall chipset driver with "overall" switch and no it's OK...

rurik133
05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Do you recall which version you had installed? I have Asus USB Charger Plus 3.1.8 and I have USB charging enabled in the BIOS. And, I have no problems with USB 3.0 on the left side, either port, as above.

Mine was 2.1.5, also found that second USB hub driver in Device Manager was from Microsoft and not from Intel.
Reinstall chipset driver with "overall" switch and no it's OK...

rurik133
05-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Reinstall chipset driver with "overall" switch and now it's OK...

hmscott
05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Reinstall chipset driver with "overall" switch and now it's OK...

Cool, glad that fixed it :)

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 and keeping up to date on the Windows 8.1 drivers posted in the G750 download areas seems to cure most of the problems seen so far.

Alsatian
08-14-2014, 08:40 PM
In my case (with TOSHIBA STOR.E PARTNER 1TB disconnecting) changing BIOS settings helped, don't know what exactly but this is what I changed (disabled):
- Power off energy savings
- USB charger +
- XHCI Pre-Boot Mode
I also don't have Asus USB charger software installed, and my Asus is always connected to power (with battery removed).
I have Win 8.1
Reinstalling Intel chipset driver with "overall" flag didn't help.

As of now with these BIOS settings it is OK.

Kelusion
08-14-2014, 09:22 PM
I have a JZ, and have no problems with any USB 3.0 Ports as stated here with it, nor have it in my other JS model too. However a friend actually had the right side one's having the same problem as some described above me, updating to the latest chipset resolved that from the Asus Support Page, so would advise users to try the same in case if helps, one thing to add he had Windows 8, never upgraded to 8.1, so am pretty much sure, much issues are being cleaned over by being on Windows 8.1 and having the chipset drivers updated from the latest Asus Support Page installed.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=521&m=G750JS&os=&hashedid=yql3Rpr80XDgQJbl

timbuk2
08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I noticed this problem with my Asus G75VX-TS72 64 Bit OS and immediately contacted ASUS with very little support. They wanted me to reformat the hard drive first :-) ... then they wanted me to return the Laptop in a new box and would not assure me that I would get the same machine back. This is my first and last ASUS machine. The machine is slow anyway for 16 GB of RAM and a 3 GB grahics card... I expected much more and I don't even use it for gaming, just for graphics and video work. My 8GB Dell XPS is just as fast.

ctasker
10-27-2014, 01:04 PM
I too have a USB3 issue with my G750JX Win8.1, I emailed customer support and they are asking me to send the laptop off to a service centre. I'm in Ireland and I don't think there is one here and I use the machine for work so it would be a big inconvenience to have to ship the laptop abroad if there is a potential software/driver/bios related solution floating around out there.

I have BIOS v 209 on my laptop. I've installed the latest chipset driver I could find which is Version V9.4.0.1022 (perhaps there is another better one somewhere else on the web)

My Seagate USB 3 mass storage drive is definitely working as I can access it from several other PCs. It was showing up initially on my G750 but then I noticed it would sometimes disappear from explorer. Eventually it was gone completely and I could not get it to detect on the g750 on any USB port! (when plugged into any USB port on the laptop the drive spins up but will not show up in windows explorer)

One user said he disabled XHCI pre boot mode in the BIOS and that had fixed his problem.
I tried this and the drive does show up again but the access speed appears to be on the slower side of a USB2 drive (Sequential Read: 27.089 MB/s Sequential Write: 20.308 MB/s via crystaldiskmark). At least I have access but it defeats the purpose of having bought a USB3 drive and a laptop that is sold as supporting USB 3.

Can anyone suggest something software/driver/bios related that I haven't tried? Can provide other detailed info on request.

Hope someone on here can help me trouble shoot this.