PDA

View Full Version : SATA to USB 3.0 case not working very well

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi guys,

I've JUST gotten a G75VW and the USB 3.0 ports have been behaving very erratic. Sometimes I plug a usb stick on it and it won't recognize it (I have to try different ports...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), but the the issue gets worst. I have a 750GB momentus XT hd that I was using in my older laptop with a SATA to USB 3.0 case. I took this case everywhere and it worked in all laptops I've tested it on...except on my new G75VW. Sometimes I plug it in and it tells me I have to format it, sometimes it won't recognize the HD (I get the yellow error symbol on mass storage on device manager), sometimes it works right off the bat and all of the sudden it doesn't anymore in the middle of transferring a file. It's just insane.

I've received this laptop yesterday and so far it has been hell to configure it. It's very very frustrating because most of the issues are extremely basic and have no reason to be happening in the first place. My experience so far has been very disappointing :(

Clintlgm
08-29-2013, 11:01 PM
OK, first thing update our chipset drivers to the latest. While your downloading the chip set drives also get the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers, 235 and beyond all work good. Uninstall the Asus Charger Plus program from Control Panel\programs & Features.
reboot a couple of times. Uninstall the USB 3.0 drivers reboot a couple of times to make sure every things clears. Then install the newest Intel USB 3.0 drivers. Reboot problems should be solved. Of course this is all based on your OS as Win 7. For Win 8 pretty much the same thing except the USB 3.0 driver is native in Win 8 I don't think the Intel driver will work.

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the tips. I THINK I have the latest chipset (Chipset_Intel_Win7_64_Z9301020) and the latest USB 3.0 drivers (USB3_Intel_Win7_64_Z103214) from http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW. Would you happen to know if these are the ones?

I've just uninstalled Asus Charger Plus and reboot the laptop. The drive keeps appearing and disappearing non-stop (I mean every 5 seconds) and telling me to format the drive. On device manager it shows up with the yellow error symbol and then it doesn't every 5 seconds. It's really insane. I've tried a regular 2.0 usb case and it won't even recognize it (I've tested with 2 different HDs)

Clintlgm
08-30-2013, 03:08 AM
Well check your cables, make sure their pushed all the way in. If your USB 3.0 Driver is 10.0.8. 235 or above it should work, With Asus Charger Plus uninstall. from device manager uninstall the USB 3.0 driver. reboot twice and then reinstall.

Try this intel usb 30 driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129)

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Where can I get the latest version? The version on the Asus's link I've posted above is really not up to date then:

Version V1.0.3.214
Description Intel USB3.0 Driver
File Size
5,27 (MBytes) 2012.03.02 update
Download from
Global (DLM) Global P2P

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
By the way, could you confirm if my chipset version is the latest? I can see that keeping their website update is not Asus strongest quality.

Version V9.3.0.1020
Description Intel INF Update Driver
File Size
2,94 (MBytes) 2012.03.02 update
Download from
Global (DLM) Global

Zygomorphic
08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
I will point out that this issue has occurred on other ASUS laptops, and it has to do with the USB 3 ports often being on a daughter PCIe card, and so require special drivers - introducing bugs. @rawfa, ASUS doesn't tend to update their drivers much (if at all), so if @Clintlgm linked to a non-ASUS driver, don't worry about it. ASUS uses standard components, so reference drivers almost always work. :)

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I have to say this is my first and last Asus computer :( I've had a LOT of laptops in my life and I never had so much trouble getting basic stuff to work. I found 10.0.8. 242 here at the forum and I've managed to get the USB 3.0 to work on the right side ports (which is ridiculous, but I'll take what I can get at the moment).

Can someone point me to the latest chipset driver? I feel very very uncomfortable just looking it up on google and downloading it from unknown links that a stranger posted.

Clintlgm
08-30-2013, 06:46 PM
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

cl-Albert
08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
I have to say this is my first and last Asus computer :( I've had a LOT of laptops in my life and I never had so much trouble getting basic stuff to work. I found 10.0.8. 242 here at the forum and I've managed to get the USB 3.0 to work on the right side ports (which is ridiculous, but I'll take what I can get at the moment).

If your right USB 3.0 ports are working okay, your software should be okay and unfortunately, there could be some hardware problem with your left USB 3.0 ports.
Sorry, Zyg, but I'm going to disagree about special drivers being required for the USB 3 ports on the separate daughter PCIe card on this model at least, but we might need to wait to see how it turns out to know for sure (or someone with this problem sends in their notebook for repair).

If the notebook came with the ASUS factory Windows installation, normally everything including the USB 3.0 should be working out of the box, so not sure why this one is causing so much problem (sounds like it may not have come with the ASUS factory Windows install?), but if things are working good enough now, you may not want to change anything else.

rawfa@hotmail.com
08-30-2013, 07:21 PM
This is just pointless. 10.0.8. 242 makes ONE USB port work from time to time after all. I keep installing, uninstalling and re-installing usb drivers and it just won`t work or it will work for 2 hours and then just lose connection. If I had not ordered this laptop from abroad I would return it right now. It`s just absurd that it`s such a dreadful task to get something that works right off the bat in all other laptops in the universe. Now I have 4 useless USB 3.0 ports.

Is it worth it trying to install Windows 8 to try to fix this? Right now I have Win 7 Ultimate 64bits.

Note: I should be able to install any current windows operating system and get it working right off the bat. It`s beyond my comprehension why is this so hard with Asus.

Clintlgm
08-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Well last year when that came out with the G75 VW the factory installed drivers didn't work very well for a few of us. There was a definite issue with the Asus Charger plus program. Chipset drivers helped and Intel updated USB 3.0 drivers .235 and above have made things quite reliable. I myself have sorted it all out back then my NB G75VW works well enough. Things I found sorting it all out were that Cables are very sensitive. New ones that worked on other computers didn't work on mine! These were cables supplies with external hard drive enclosures. I purchased quality USB 3. 0 cables and that solved some problems.

Zygomorphic
08-31-2013, 01:51 AM
@cl-Albert, I am speaking from my experience with the G53SX, which is the preceding model line to this computer, and yes, it does have a special daughter card for the USB 3.0 port. Interesting point though, I would be surprised if only one side worked.

@rawfa, @Clintlgm's last link is perfectly legit, it comes from the manufacturer (Intel), and he is a reputable and trustworthy member of the forum. Also, do USB 2.0 devices work when plugged into the USB 3.0 port?

Pandur
08-31-2013, 09:24 AM
@cl-Albert, I am speaking from my experience with the G53SX, which is the preceding model line to this computer, and yes, it does have a special daughter card for the USB 3.0 port. Interesting point though, I would be surprised if only one side worked.
The main difference between G53 and G55/75 is that the G53 uses an Intel chipset with only usb 2.0 ports so it have to use a 3rd party chip/board to provide usb 3.0 ports, but the G55/75 uses an Intel chipset with native usb 3.0 ports.

With that being said, when I disassembled my G55 I noticed that the leftside usb ports are on a daughterboard connected to the motherboard via a ribboncable while the rightside ports are on the motherboard. So, assuming the G75 is the same, if the OP had a problem with half the ports and not all it could've been a problem with the daughterboard/motherboard side.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned before in this thread: Are you using the latest bios version for your laptop rawfa?

Cheap usb cables have also caused me headaches more than a few times. Trying to run usb 3.0 speeds on $1 cables don't have to work and the plugs on the cheapest China cables don't exactly have the best fit either. So it could be worth trying to find a higher quality cable with at least one ferrite filter at one end.

Zygomorphic
08-31-2013, 10:25 AM
@Pandur, that's an interesting point about the filter, none of my devices have that, and some of them are early USB 3.0 devices. I have heard rumors that the early devices weren't always as well done, and so had interesting bugs.