PDA

View Full Version : G55vw Blue Screen

Session101
08-30-2013, 04:26 PM
So my computer was bought 2nd hand and had it for about 3 months and was very happy until last night.

Got a random blue screen then shutdown and reboot with the black screen of 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected'

if you hit enter if just uses the cd drive, but if you turn off the computer and restart then it goes to the windows startup choices. and will blue screen again after some time. I managed to put a windows cd in the CDrom when this happened the 4th time and tried to go into setup, which was able to identify my HD, but then said it could not install windows on that partition. weird...

The blue screen is fast and i am unable to snap a picture of it but if i goto event viewer and the critical updates, i see the Event 41, kernal power.

anyone ever get a problem like this with a solution? right now im trying to backup to a external HD, i was thinking about re-flashing the BIOS, and re-installing everything all over again. I don't have and RAM upgrades and the sticks are on the internal side of the motherboard. The computer MFG date is 05/2012 so warranty isn't an option. any ideas?

Session101
08-30-2013, 06:25 PM
just wanted to add an update:

ran a memory test with no errors
ive been trying to restore my computer to 2 days ago... i can't even start the process
when i click restore, it will hang for about 5-10 secs then bring up the installation status bar for about 30 secs then stop and goto blue screen for about 2 secs then reboot... any ideas?

Prostar Computer
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Doesn't sound like a memory problem either, so that much is good.

When you tried to install Windows again: did you format the partition? Is your recovery partition accessible (or do you have recovery media to boot from)?

Session101
08-31-2013, 03:59 AM
No i don't have the restore/recovery partition, i bought the laptop 2nd hand and it was formatted already with windows 8 on it, so when i got it, i re-formatted it and put windows 7 back on it (i wanted it to be stock so i wouldn't have problems). But owned it for 3 months, not 1 problem, until the constant blue screens.

*update*

re-formatted and installed windows and everything back over again and seems to be running OK... i can't tell if it is running slower or not.. but so far no blue screens

Question: How do you know if your HD is failing? its a seagate drive that is in here and i downloaded the drive application, don't really know how to test it..

Pandur
08-31-2013, 09:03 AM
You should be able to find something called a quick test (or similar) in the drive app. If that don't find any errors you can assume the drive is working ok. A drive that's slowly failing tends to fail one or more S.M.A.R.T. tests which will show up in the quick test results.

One advice regarding bluescreens: If you go into control panel and search for system you should find view advanced system settings (or look for System Properties). Open that and click on settings under Start-up and Recovery (in the Advanced tab). In that window under System failure, uncheck automatically restart. This will prevent your computer from automatically restarting in the event of a bluescreen so you can read what it says/snap a photo of it etc.

Session101
09-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Just wanted to put an update to this thread:

It was my HD, it passed the SMART test, but failed the short test. And about a day after doing this the drive failed entirely... It just started buzzing when you turn on the computer.

I finally got my replacement in the mail, its a Seagate SSHD Hybrid 500GB, Let me just say it is CRAP! don't buy, it is not fast at all, i am ordering another 7200RPM drive, as it was much faster to read/write files than this pos, and it boots up at just about the same speed as this drive

But it was my HD that failed which caused the blue screen, and was only able to write this post when my G55 got the new drive as it was toast.

Prostar Computer
09-06-2013, 07:47 PM
The SSHD is good but it needs time to cache Windows boot and other program data before you really see any significant performance gain. They also come in 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM flavors. Did you get the 7200 RPM version?

In any case, glad you got the BSOD nipped. :)