PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750jx overheating!

hawkst3r
08-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I bought an Asus g750jx (16gb ram / gtx 770m / 256gb ssd - 750gb hdd / i7 cpu) and it was all good untill I tried my first game, after 5minutes of playing my screen goes crazy and freezes or game shuts down, I was curious so I installed some fan control soft (msi afterburner /speedfan) and it seems my fans are not showing anywhere, I tried funmark to test my gpu and it shows that my fan is at 0%, when my gpu reaches 75*celsius benchmark freezes and shuts down same as the games.
Should I RMA this laptop or is ther something I can do to turn on the fan?
additional info:
Windows 8x64
Nvidia driver 326.80 (tried with older drivers to)
Tried to find fan control in bios but the option does not exist
Games I tried: Divinity dragon commander / Arx Fatalis / Lost planet 3 (all works like a charm for a few mins untill gpu heats up)
Thank you.

UnfairAwesomeness
08-30-2013, 08:38 PM
The fans are in the back of the laptop, and I dont know of any software yet that knows where the fan controls for the g750 laptop are at. At full load you should be able to tell if the fans go on or not.

hawkst3r
08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
I can feel a lot of heat cooming from the right fan (in the back, the right part) but from the left1, nothing, not heat or cold air >.<, is the gpu located in the left side?

Prostar Computer
08-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I dont know of any software yet that knows where the fan controls for the g750 laptop are at.

Yeah, thus far no monitoring utility seems to pick up the fans. Is the laptop on a stable, flat surface? Is it hot where you're using it?

hawkst3r
08-30-2013, 11:51 PM
it is on a stable flat surface, and I have around 20*celsius in my room, my iddle temps are good, 39*celsius gpu and 40 cpu, I monitored the temps, its strange from 39* goes up to 71* in 1min, and if I exit game goes back to 39-40 in few secs. In games that not stress the gpu/cpu, mostly old games theres no problem, but in newer games I start to have green points on screen then freeze.
p.s: I can't send it back to warranty since the post office is closed till monday, I have the weeknd off so I'm praying the problem is software not hardware.

UnfairAwesomeness
08-31-2013, 03:19 AM
I can feel a lot of heat cooming from the right fan (in the back, the right part) but from the left1, nothing, not heat or cold air >.<, is the gpu located in the left side?

CPU is on the left side (facing the keyboard + screen) my guess is a thermal paste problem or the heatsink isn't properly on the gpu

hawkst3r
08-31-2013, 01:03 PM
the strangest thing happened. I was testing around, IF I am on battery only and I play any games, no heating problems, my temp stays at 45*celsius, if I plug in the adapter and not be on battery, in 1min reaches 70*celsius and game freezes, played 30mins on battery without any incidents, 2min on adapter with freezing.
Can you find the adapter in shops? I dont want to wait weeks if I send it back just for that.

villiansv
08-31-2013, 02:12 PM
75 degrees celsius is the expected temperature when gaming. Neither CPU nor GPU should throttle at these temps. Check your temps with HWMonitor, as some temperature reading apps give you the wrong temps. Not sure what could be causing freezes at such low temps, to be honest.

hawkst3r
08-31-2013, 02:16 PM
ya its oficially, its the cable from the adapter, when im plugged in I have problems, green dots then freezing, when I'm on battery only I dont have any problems. What could be the problem, not receiving enough power from the adapter?
Also tried funmark benchmark, plugged in = 3mins and freeze / battery = finished benchmark with no problems (well with lower frames but thats to be expected Im on battery)

PauloF
08-31-2013, 06:14 PM
hawkst3r, have you seen your: Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings, maybe you are using different Power profiles for when pluged in and when on battery. On both profiles, check under Processor Power Management > System Cooling Policy to see if is set to Active.

Or is this settings for CPU only, not fot GPU, I don't know...

hawkst3r
08-31-2013, 06:30 PM
I have everything on max performance and system cooling policy active.

hawkst3r
08-31-2013, 07:02 PM
After doing some research I found out that when Im on battery the system switches to integrated graphic card, when Im plugged it switches to dedicated graphic card wich is gtx 770m, ya so I think the gpu is at fault. need to rma.

villiansv
08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
G750 laptops have the integrated Intel card permanently disabled - the gtx 770m is active all the time. You can't change this.

alynos
08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
G750 laptops have the integrated Intel card permanently disabled - the gtx 770m is active all the time. You can't change this.
then what is the problem, its beyond me. I will RMA the laptop tuesday if I can't find any solutions

abeepak1
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Thing is, the GPU and CPU will not run on their full clock when the laptop is on battery, thus it should not generate as much load and heat. When you plug in the adapter, the cpu and gpu is allowed to operate at their full clock respective to the temperature; the higher, the lower the clocks. This means that that chips should throttle themselves before the onset of any problems that you have mentioned. Have you tried a full reinstall of windows? Have you checked the temps again via a more reliable program? The G750 has been known to have overheating issues due to the half-assedness of thermal paste application during production, however, those with the problems have reported cpu temperatures upwards of 95 degrees, therefore you should be in a pretty safe position temp wise.

alynos
09-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Thing is, the GPU and CPU will not run on their full clock when the laptop is on battery, thus it should not generate as much load and heat. When you plug in the adapter, the cpu and gpu is allowed to operate at their full clock respective to the temperature; the higher, the lower the clocks. This means that that chips should throttle themselves before the onset of any problems that you have mentioned. Have you tried a full reinstall of windows? Have you checked the temps again via a more reliable program? The G750 has been known to have overheating issues due to the half-assedness of thermal paste application during production, however, those with the problems have reported cpu temperatures upwards of 95 degrees, therefore you should be in a pretty safe position temp wise.
Tried 3 different programs to get the temps, speedfan / aida64 engineer edition / msi afterburner, it gets to 70celsius in fullload but then the freezing and the green dots starts to happen. And no I didn't reinstall windows, is there any chance this could be windows fault?
ps: If I reinstall new OS, and if the problem still persist and Il RMA it, is it okay not to have the os the laptop came with or it should be the same as I received it. Sorry new to this, never sent anything back till now.

abeepak1
09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
That is exactly the idea with a clean reinstall, to rule out a software failure, both windows and driver. Atleast we can start pinning the problem somewhere. That's what troubleshooting its.

alynos
09-01-2013, 01:22 PM
That is exactly the idea with a clean reinstall, to rule out a software failure, both windows and driver. Atleast we can start pinning the problem somewhere. That's what troubleshooting its.
I'm downloading Windows 8 x64 and I will reinstall the os, it will take few hours since my internet speed is ''amazing'', hopefully it will solve. I will reply after it's done.

abeepak1
09-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Alright, keep us posted. Though dont you have a recovery partition on your laptop? It Should be as easy as clicking
"Computer Settings -> General -> Remove everything and Reinstall windows"

And even if you do download the windows, wouldnt you have problems with the serial available on your machine not matching with the downloaded windows?

alynos
09-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Alright, keep us posted. Though dont you have a recovery partition on your laptop? It Should be as easy as clicking
"Computer Settings -> General -> Remove everything and Reinstall windows"

And even if you do download the windows, wouldnt you have problems with the serial available on your machine not matching with the downloaded windows?
OW, I can do it that way to but either way I need an OS to have just in case on dvd or usb, and about serial, if I sign in with my current microsoft account wich is activated ,I believe it will recognize my serial o,0.

abeepak1
09-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Then why dont you back up your partition on a flash drive? There should be a guide floating around involving Asus Backtracker.

Better yet, heres the link. http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Should make life easier, and of course, you dont have to download the huge windows 8 file and risk it failing.

alynos
09-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Did a clean reinstall of windows 8, same problem but this time when it reached 70*Celsius on benchmark (didn't test any game but its the same as the benchmark full gpu load) it froze and said "graphic_scheduler_internal_problem" and it restarted. It's a hardware problem, will RMA it tomorrow or Tuesday.

svansiclen
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Crazy question. What voltage ram are you using?

alynos
09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
that's all voltages that HWmonitor picks up. Tried Bios to, nothing to see there.

svansiclen
09-01-2013, 11:15 PM
CPU-Z will give you ram voltages.

alynos
09-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Anything wrong?

alynos
09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I sent it back today with a repair order, it will be back next week. Thank you all for the replies, still don't know what was the problem, maybe the thermal paste..

H-E Hulk
10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
HI I just wanted to say that I am facing the same problem with my laptop g750jx. I played batman Arkham city in full HD and full graphics it was fine. Crysis 3 Ultra Graphics goes on average 25 fps all good. but when I play final fantasy 14 online, after few hours into the game the laptop just turns off, I tried to restart and play again within a few minutes it turns off as well, so I sent to ASUS head quarters and they are checking the problem.