PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded the G73jh!

billyray520
08-30-2013, 09:11 PM
So the wife has a G73Sw which has two SSDs an Intel 160 GB which was laying around for her C: drive and my old G73's Intel 80 GB for her data drive. She only uses her notebook to get online and play games. The original 5600rpm 640 GB hdd I removed and now use as a backup brick (put it in a NexStar USB 3 enclosure.)

My old G73jh meanwhile had a Intel 160 GB C: drive and a 500 GB hdd. So the Intel 530 series Sata III 180 GB SSD is on sale at Newegg for only a $154. So I snagged it along with another NexStar USB 2 enclosure. (The G73jh doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports. :( )

It came today, so first thing I did was shrink the D: drive to only a 170 GB with the remainder unassigned. Luckily Windows 7 was able to get it that small. My image program (Clonezilla) can only put a smaller image on a larger drive (not the reverse.) Then I backed up the shrunken D: drive (using Clonezilla) to my old USB external drive (500 GB WD MyBook)

Then I removed the hdd and installed the new Intel SSD. Then I checked to make sure it was in the G73 BIOS (it was.)

Then I restored the shrunken image to the new SSD using Clonezilla. I turned on the G73 and it booted up normally, and said I had to reboot to save my settings. I did. When it rebooted, I noticed that Windows couldn't find my D: drive. So I shut down the notebook completely and let it sit for a few minutes.

Then I rebooted again. Now Windows found the new SSD D: drive. Yay!

Then I went back into Computer Management, Disk Drives, and expanded the partition to use the entire drive. (that added another 8 or 9 GB)

Then I installed the old d: drive hdd into the new enclosure. When I plugged it in, Windows installed the software for it but couldn't find the drive. I went into Computer Management, and saw the drive was showing there, but it was not online because of a "signature conflict." I right clicked on the hdd icon and clicked on "online" which then made the external hdd visible to Windows 7. Yay!

Then I backed up the entire system using Paragon Free to my new backup brick.

G73jh UPGRADED!

billyray520
09-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Now there's a new wrinkle. Turns out the new Intel 530 series SSD has some kind of bug in the firmware. It isn't found by the BIOS in the G73 on restarts (warm reboot) but is ALWAYS found after complete shutdown or cold boot. I have a post on the Intel site seeking an answer. Hopefully they can fix it in the firmware.

billyray520
09-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Here's the reply from Intel about the 530 Series SSD:

. The Intel SSD 530 passed all of our internal restart tests but we did not test with an HP Elitebook 8460p or ASUS G73JH. It is possible that the problem is specific to these models of laptop. We will attempt to reproduce this issue, but you should check with HP and ASUS for possible solutions. We will update this thread when more information is available.

Well, I'm kinda thinking more notebooks are involved than just the HP and Asus. It's just that we are the only two that have posted in the thread so far. The 530 series is very new after all.

If anyone from Asus has any suggestions, I'm all ears. :)

getjohnalive
09-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Good job....I need to upgrade my G73JH too...

billyray520
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
It's a good upgrade, not difficult. Even though I am having an issue with the new Intel 530 series SSD, if I cold boot, everything is good. More people are weighing in on the bug in the thread: here (http://communities.intel.com/thread/44258)

What I like is that a notebook gets tossed around more, and not having a hdd is a good idea. (Plus it's way faster) :cool:

So now neither of our G73's have hdd's. The old hdds have become backup bricks.