PDA

View Full Version : Missing Fast Boot, CSM & Secure Boot Options in Bios - why only for Preinstall Win 8?

okatomy
08-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi,

Why is that on every Laptop from ASUS (not just the ROG series) that doesnt ship with Win8 preinstalled,
but for example came with Windows 7, Linux oder DOS
is missing the following Setup options

Fastboot ( under Boot Tab )
CSM (under Boot Tab)
Secure Boot ( under Security Tab)

They are hidden by manufacturer?

How to bypass the hiding?

I have a machine that didnt came with Win 8 but i have a Win 8 license and want to be able to use those advanced features.

Myk SilentShadow
08-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Those features I do believe are only available for Windows 8/UEFI BIOS, unless I am wrong, someone will tell me so.

okatomy
08-31-2013, 12:29 PM
G75 has always UEFI Bios for example no matter if it shipped with Win 7 and Win 8

But those options are only visible to Laptops originally shipped with win 8.

GottiBoi55
09-01-2013, 01:25 AM
G75 has always UEFI Bios for example no matter if it shipped with Win 7 and Win 8

But those options are only visible to Laptops originally shipped with win 8.

What BIOS Version you have installed?

I believe BIOS V223 for the VW, and V206 for the VX have the options in mention!

Edit: Sorry for confustion, only pre-installed Win8 models has the option.

okatomy
09-01-2013, 05:44 AM
BIOS 223 on a G75VW that originally shipped with windows 7

do you have those options on yours ? was yours shipped with win 7 oder 8?

rewben
09-01-2013, 09:24 AM
@okatomy, such options only appear in laptops with w8 preloaded.

why do you need those bios options for? that's one funny way MS blocking average users to access other OS's in the name of security. it does nothing useful in the real world (unless, of course, the implementation allows all other OS's to be equally protected).

i have a w7-preinstalled laptop. i am glad it doesn't have these funny options.

okatomy
09-01-2013, 09:52 AM
i know but i feel like im an advanced user and i want to enable / disable whatever options i need.

it feels more like ASUS is currently blocking me from using the options i want too.

its not just about secure boot, Fastboot and CSM are hidden too.

one more reason is that you get a permanent watermark once you upgrade to windows 8.1

this guy has an ASUS laptop too. it seems to be an ASUS problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/secureboot-isnt-configured-correctly-watermark/138e14f2-11f4-45fe-9363-16ffc1d8c30c

rewben
09-01-2013, 10:56 AM
ok :) the thing is, the secureboot and related options only appear in machines with w8 preloaded. CSM is not needed because we can install whatever we want. as for fastboot, well, i am ok without it. (my g55 boots faster than my aw m17x r4).

uh? where exactly is the watermark showned? i hope it doesn't affect the performance of the laptop.

greypigeon
09-03-2013, 07:20 AM
This watermark "Secureboot isn't configured correctly"
Disappears when Secureboot is enabled in bios, but we don't have the option to enable this in bios!
I don't think it will affect the performance!

Zygomorphic
09-03-2013, 10:23 AM
@okatomy, such options only appear in laptops with w8 preloaded.

why do you need those bios options for? that's one funny way MS blocking average users to access other OS's in the name of security. it does nothing useful in the real world (unless, of course, the implementation allows all other OS's to be equally protected).

i have a w7-preinstalled laptop. i am glad it doesn't have these funny options.
@rewben, it only appears with Win 8 preloaded, because Win 8 is designed around EFI, whereas Windows 7 can handle it (but doesn't always like it).

Yes. Microsoft is blocking in the name of "security", but the security that they are referring to is their own profit margins. I for one would not run Windows if I am totally concerned about security, for a whole host of reasons. I don't know if any of you remember, but Microsoft originally wasn't going to allow SecureBoot to be disabled on x86. They backed down on this when Canonical (Ubuntu), Red Hat (Fedora), and several other companies threatened a lawsuit on anti-competition. Microsoft knew they would lose, so they backed off a bit.

rewben
09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
@rewben, it only appears with Win 8 preloaded, because Win 8 is designed around EFI, whereas Windows 7 can handle it (but doesn't always like it).

Yes. Microsoft is blocking in the name of "security", but the security that they are referring to is their own profit margins. I for one would not run Windows if I am totally concerned about security, for a whole host of reasons. I don't know if any of you remember, but Microsoft originally wasn't going to allow SecureBoot to be disabled on x86. They backed down on this when Canonical (Ubuntu), Red Hat (Fedora), and several other companies threatened a lawsuit on anti-competition. Microsoft knew they would lose, so they backed off a bit.

yeah @Zygomorphic. that is just too much. that move alone can kill the whole PC market (who wanna pay for a machine that can run a single native OS only?)

cl-Albert
09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi,

Why is that on every Laptop from ASUS (not just the ROG series) that doesnt ship with Win8 preinstalled,

CSM (under Boot Tab)

I have a machine that didnt came with Win 8 but i have a Win 8 license and want to be able to use those advanced features.

fyi.
I've been playing around with this on a Win7 G75VW notebook (that has also been approved for Win8) running the 223 bios and was able to add the CSM and Secure boot settings to the bios, but unfortunately, it will likely need to be sent in for service to add the settings if your service center agrees to do this.

Anyway, if you want to add those bios settings, suggest you contact your local ASUS service center to ask about getting this done and send me a PM at cl-Albert if you run into any problems, but make sure to get the contact information of the people you talk to.

If you can't find better ways to contact your local ASUS service center, try this page http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en .

Good luck!

RIPAciD
10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
fyi.
I've been playing around with this on a Win7 G75VW notebook (that has also been approved for Win8) running the 223 bios and was able to add the CSM and Secure boot settings to the bios, but unfortunately, it will likely need to be sent in for service to add the settings if your service center agrees to do this.

Anyway, if you want to add those bios settings, suggest you contact your local ASUS service center to ask about getting this done and send me a PM at cl-Albert if you run into any problems, but make sure to get the contact information of the people you talk to.

If you can't find better ways to contact your local ASUS service center, try this page http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en .

Good luck!

Be a good man and give us the modified bios file :)

cl-Albert
10-04-2013, 09:27 PM
If you didn't already know, you would use the same latest G75VW bios on the ASUS download site to get the functions, but if your G75VW came with Win7, you will still need to get your local ASUS service center to enable those functions in your bios.

If you're not able to get this done with your local ASUS service center, let us know and we can try to look into it more for you, but if they repair any ASUS Windows 8 notebooks, it shouldn't be difficult for them to do this as long as they are willing.

Otherwise, if you just don't want to send your notebook to ASUS to have this done, unfortunately, I'm not able or allowed to provide such a bios, but maybe you can find someone else who can do this.

RIPAciD
10-05-2013, 01:16 AM
If you didn't already know, you would use the same latest G75VW bios on the ASUS download site to get the functions, but if your G75VW came with Win7, you will still need to get your local ASUS service center to enable those functions in your bios.

If you're not able to get this done with your local ASUS service center, let us know and we can try to look into it more for you, but if they repair any ASUS Windows 8 notebooks, it shouldn't be difficult for them to do this as long as they are willing.

Otherwise, if you just don't want to send your notebook to ASUS to have this done, unfortunately, I'm not able or allowed to provide such a bios, but maybe you can find someone else who can do this.

I will not send my notebook to ASUS, I bought it in Romania, now I'm living in Italy, it's complicated... So I have to find someone who can share the bios file with us. The notebook came with Free DOS, not Win7 and now I have installed Windows 8.1 and I really want to get rid of that watermark. "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly". My BIOS is updated to 223.

arclight25
10-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I would like this info as well. My G75VW came pre-loaded with Win7 and I bought the Win8 Pro upgrade. Since the 8.1 update I have the SecureBoot watermark as well. I am running the latest 223 bios.

cl-Albert
10-17-2013, 09:06 PM
@arclight25, if you're located in the U.S. and interested in sending in the notebook to add the secure boot setting, send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number and I'll tell you how to arrange it.

If you are more worried about getting rid of the message/watermark rather than actually supporting secure boot, you may want to wait and see if others can come up with a solution to hide that message.

tkolarik
10-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Z~ I can understand that MS may want to reduce competition, but almost every laptop sold has a MS OS installed. They're not going to lose money because someone buys a MS operated laptop and then puts Linux on it!

But my question is why has Asus "hidden" those options? I see quite a few post in which Asus owners have contacted service centers and somehow got them to open up that option. How, I don't know and probably only for those still under warranty.

MS says it's an issue with Asus BIOS... Asus says it's an issue with Windows 8.1! Either way, both are big-time tech companies who communicate probably quite regularly. They need to get together and agree on a fix.

I have an Asus table supposed to ship tomorrow, it may go back unopened! I'm tired of Asus dropping support for product as soon as they go out of warranty. I happened exactly that way with my son Transformer TAB. Asus didn't even have the gust to say they wouldn't upgrade the Android OS anymore, they just let their employees keep tweeting that the TF101 should be getting the update. Its a laggy piece of crap after the earlier update and no way to revert back to the original version. Crap, I tell ya, Crap!

JBM
10-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I would like this info as well. My G75VW came pre-loaded with Win7 and I bought the Win8 Pro upgrade. Since the 8.1 update I have the SecureBoot watermark as well. I am running the latest 223 bios.

I am in the same position as above, sending the laptop into can't be the only resolution to this problem. Please ASUS provide us with a fix, new bios with the options enabled isn't that much to ask for.

wolfy
10-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Got the same problem as well with my G75V, got the official upgrade to win 8 , just installed 8.1 and get the watermark.
i also get another problem after the update i get a pop up saying C:\Windows\System32\LogiLDA.dll The specified module could not be found.
get this with every startup:mad: no idea why i have never had anything by logitech installed on this computer.

Zygomorphic
10-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Got the same problem as well with my G75V, got the official upgrade to win 8 , just installed 8.1 and get the watermark.
i also get another problem after the update i get a pop up saying C:\Windows\System32\LogiLDA.dll The specified module could not be found.
get this with every startup:mad: no idea why i have never had anything by logitech installed on this computer.
Actually, that may not be something by Logitech. It could be a Windows .dll file. "LDA"="Local Device Authorization/Authority"?

wolfy
10-19-2013, 08:30 PM
until we get a new bios this got rid of the watermark for me

To disable the LUA...

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Key: EnableLUA

Value data: 0

GottiBoi55
10-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Hi,

CSM (under Boot Tab)

Don't you think these setting can be added in the BIOS via a BIOS update (modification) from Asus?
Windows 7 per-installed users, should have these option when "upgrading" to Windows 8 (8.1) to improve the functionally of the OS!.....IMHO!

wingskies
06-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Hi,

CSM (under Boot Tab)

Try use BT.exe (the tool can wirte BIOS using in keyboard backlit fix) wirte
block selection is cnfg
F8 at location d5
06 at location de
7F at location df

Make sure your laptop have csm functions which is just disabled, this method will change the laptop to pre-installed win8 version, it is really important.

In my story, I own a G75VX, used to RMA to ASUS several times, they replace my motherboard without flash back all my information, thus I lost MAC address, SN, UUID, Win8 key and so on. One more issue is CSM, secureboot options are missing as well. I do a lot of research, and now fix it. These values just like a switch, they will control the options in BIOS.

bt.exe -c cnfg /w dX XX

dX is address offset, XX is the value.

please search the new BT tool version 2.03, old version is not support the new laptop well, old version bt tool will let you write data but will return error. the new version is working fine.

calbertoferreira
03-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I have an N56VZ and i had to restore a bios dump via eeprom programmer.
In the end everything works but i lost the UUID and serial number.
Can you please tell me how you set yours via bt.exe ?
How did you find the offsets you had to use in bt.exe ?

Thank you very much.

AAndrei
03-16-2016, 11:44 PM
How do you lost it if you used a programmer?

Send me a PM if you still need help.

calbertoferreira
05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
How do you lost it if you used a programmer?

Send me a PM if you still need help.

My bios got screw up after a bad flash, so i found a bios dump from another N56VZ and flashed mine, now i don't have UUID and SN.

umbraemsi
10-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Anyone can give me a link for the tool?

Clintlgm
10-19-2017, 05:17 PM
What tool?

umbraemsi
10-22-2017, 12:57 AM
What tool?

BT.exe

Clintlgm
10-22-2017, 05:32 AM
Man your posting in a 4 year old thread, I'm not going to read the whole thing to figure out what your looking for.
to the OP you have to install 64 Bit UEFI to get Fast boot and Secure boot, CSM is turned on if your installing MBR.

umbraemsi
10-23-2017, 02:32 PM
First, i asked for a link of the mentioned tool, not a tutorial to how to do it, and i surely didn't ask you to read the thread, if you can't help with it just move on...

FYI, im on UEFI , not MBR...

Clintlgm
10-23-2017, 03:43 PM
excuse me for trying to figure out how to help you. I'll move on for sure.
Goggle shows (http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/error-virus-removal/exe/windows/creative-technologies-ltd/sound-blaster-pci128-software/bt-exe/)